BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
Do the pre LCI cars maybe have a slower steering rack than the later cars? The reason I ask is that my 2012 feels almost comically quick, especially when compared to my previous car which was a 540i. I don't remember the steering in my old 2008 being this quick, but I thought maybe it was just an adjustment period coming from the very slow steering 540.
The V8 5er's(e39's) don't have a rack and pinion steering system... instead, they have a "recirculating ball" type steering box. Totally different.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #46
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I don't think the LCI changed the ratio of the rack. Maybe the Mfg is different or a lower miles and the steering wheel connection is fresher
I owned my old car from brand new, actually I did a euro delivery on that one, so I doubt it is about age. If there is no actual change, then it's probably just a difference in perception. I went from a 2002 GTI to the 135i, and the GTI had numb but relatively quick steering compared to the 540i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The V8 5er's(e39's) don't have a rack and pinion steering system... instead, they have a "recirculating ball" type steering box. Totally different.

Dack
Yeah, I am well aware of that. I considered swapping the steering box in my 540i fro one from an E39 M5, but complications with the servotronic system steered me away from that. The difference between the two systems is huge. I think the 540i is 3.7 turns lock to lock or something, it's a workout to drive at times.
Appreciate 0