E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Overheat warning light!!!

04-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 325i

Engine Overheat warning light!!!

i have an E90 pre-september production car with a milage little more than 6k.. i was drving down i-5 near downey at about 30-45mph and all of the sudden my engine overheat light came on to orange.. then to RED.. i got scared and i stopped the car at the right pavement of i-5. then i called roadside assistance and took the car to the PLACE WHERE I HAVE BOUGHT THE CAR. in Monrovia..( Roadside assistance was excellent BTW) only to find out that the earliest time they can take a look in my car was monday which was 3 days away(fri)... they could not tell me what was wrong with my car either.. i asked for a loaner and i was denied and were given a complimentary 1 day rental at you guessed it ... ENTERPRISE... a POS cobalt sedan. i tried fighting for the loaner and the service rep asked me if i had bought my car at their dealer.. and i replied YES and still his answer was no.. he now said i need to make an appointment for those loaners.... at that moment(how the hell am i suppose to make an appointment when my car stopped in the middle of the freakin freeway) i realized there's no point talking to this rep as i was sure that he was not trying to help me out, so i tooked the rental and left the dealer very unsatisfied... my question is this.... how serious is my engine problem if it's not related to a retarded sensor??? i tried using search with engine everheat with no luck... help me out ...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

May be a faulty water pump (there has been one on the board before )

Should take a day to insall when they get the part, but when they get it depends on stock avaialbility.

May be something else

Good thing you stoped the car, so there shouldn be any damage.

Problem with loan cars is dealers dont have spare ones standing around and they are usually booked up a number of weeks in advance
      04-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep

well... if you put it that way... i guess ill live...
BTW i like to thank this forum for helping me to gain the knowledge that i needed to stand up for my car... if it wasn't for you guys ill would have been misinformed and mislead by the sales rep at the dealers who acts like he knows everything..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

Maybe a thermostat malfunction. A friend had her new 330i towed due to overheating & the culprit was thermostat failure.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
wait! your car overheats...plus having problem with the thermostat going blank above 85F, and they are giving you problems!

I would let them know that you expect to have better service from them. After you show them how wrong they were to reject your request so quickly for software upgrade by printing that service bullentin, tell them they currently have 0's. Ask them if they know what that means....and tell them that you expect them to do alot more in order to earn a higher mark.
      04-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep

it tures out it is the water pump that caused my engine to overheat..
ps.. try mentioning dealers about the BMWNA(that you received a letter from them along with a bulletin to address the problems) and their attitude changes almost instantly and treat you better.. which is nonsense...
Appreciate 0