BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe DCT

Garage List
DP Fix and Virginia Emissions Testing

Has anyone successfully installed catless downpipes with the DP Fix and passed the Virginia Emissions test? I just got my emissions done before I put them on so this is just for future reference but I know I have to take my JB4 G5 off in order for the system to go into ready check (I failed the first time because I accidentally left it on) and I'll definitely fail without the JB4 on. Just looking for anyone who has experience either passing or not passing in Virginia with the DP Fix installed. Thanks for you time!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

What are the requirements? If its just OBD2 plug testing then just make sure your DP fix is dialed in and the light has been out for say 100 miles. Also the JB4 has to be off the ENTIRE time or you will not be ready.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I know for sure they do an OBDII test but I'm not sure if they do a sniff test as well, that's why I was curious if I could get by with the DP Fix instead of having to swap the dps out for the test.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh ok. Good luck there. I'm sure you can just google "Virginia emissions test" and get an idea. If there is a sniffer you are boned and need to swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
BillOne
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.ferguson View Post
Has anyone successfully installed catless downpipes with the DP Fix and passed the Virginia Emissions test? I just got my emissions done before I put them on so this is just for future reference but I know I have to take my JB4 G5 off in order for the system to go into ready check (I failed the first time because I accidentally left it on) and I'll definitely fail without the JB4 on. Just looking for anyone who has experience either passing or not passing in Virginia with the DP Fix installed. Thanks for you time!
I'm from NJ and just failed my inspection, and I'm just about to give up on the DP fix because its not fixing ....! However, I digress. Your JB4 has to be on map zero(off), and the DP fix has to be dialed in(good luck). Trying to get the DP fix to work(clearing codes & cycling the car) is a bitch. I had two local speed shops tell me they don't work. There are only two DP fixes left around that I know of as BMS dropped theirs - probably because they are too much trouble.

Your best bet would be to put back your stock DPs, pass then reinstall the catless DPs, or go with DPs with cats(best choice) and not have to worry about them ever again.

By the way, anyone interested in buying my catless BMS DPs & JB4?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Is it me or are these threads stupid? No disrespect to OP or anything, just the whole "I removed my cats and now I'm trying to cheat the emission laws" threads. I'm not a tree hugger or anything, I just don't understand why people remove cats from a car that will be driven on some regular basis on public roads. The Emission laws are in place for a reason, so you can enjoy going outside and breath air, not CO2!

Take a trip to China and try to hang out outside for a day. When you almost pass out, I think it'll put it into perspective for you.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
GR1P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:

Please do
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post
Please do
      06-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
Just my $0.02, but with the environmental issues aside, from an economic and time point of view, that's just crazy. I always try to monetize my time, it helps to quantify the effort needed. So if you take your billable hourly rate (lets say $100/hr for easy math sake) and it takes 4 hours (time to drive to shop, car to cool down and for them to perform the work) to remove the DPs, than 4 hours to reinstall the DPs, that's $800 of your time...every time you need an inspection! (Isn't Va every year!?) Now, how much is it to add Racing Cats to your DP purchase?

I dunno, that seems silly to me.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Is it me or are these threads stupid? No disrespect to OP or anything, just the whole "I removed my cats and now I'm trying to cheat the emission laws" threads. I'm not a tree hugger or anything, I just don't understand why people remove cats from a car that will be driven on some regular basis on public roads. The Emission laws are in place for a reason, so you can enjoy going outside and breath air, not CO2!

Take a trip to China and try to hang out outside for a day. When you almost pass out, I think it'll put it into perspective for you.

Just a small nit. But higher CO2 is produced in a car with a fully functioning emissions system. Catalytic converters are to reduce the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) ad carbon monoxide (CO). Some catalytic converters also work on oxides of nitrogen (NOx).
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

http://www.deq.state.va.us/Programs/...kVirginia.aspx

Vehicle and Test Information

The program includes gasoline powered vehicles with a model year of less than 25 years prior to January 1 of the current calendar year, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less. The gross vehicle weight rating, which is determined by the manufacturer, is the weight of the vehicle plus the maximum weight the vehicle is designed to carry. In many cases, emissions are tested while the vehicle is driven on a dynamometer at only 15 mph and 25 mph. Most 1996 and newer vehicles will receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of the regular tailpipe emissions test. For all gasoline powered vehicles, a visual smoke inspection, and an inspection of certain emissions control equipment that was originally installed by the manufacturer will be conducted.

So no sniff test.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Quote:
Just my $0.02, but with the environmental issues aside, from an economic and time point of view, that's just crazy. I always try to monetize my time, it helps to quantify the effort needed. So if you take your billable hourly rate (lets say $100/hr for easy math sake) and it takes 4 hours (time to drive to shop, car to cool down and for them to perform the work) to remove the DPs, than 4 hours to reinstall the DPs, that's $800 of your time...every time you need an inspection! (Isn't Va every year!?) Now, how much is it to add Racing Cats to your DP purchase?

I agree very silly if that's the case. If no sniff test though, once you get the dp fix in and dial it in, it's easy to pass.

If i EVER had to remove my DPs and then put them back on i'd die.
I much like you monetize my time.
      07-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

In a state where you only have a computer test, its a sub $100 fix to never take your DPs off and always pass. In a state where you get visual and sniffer etc I agree its not worth it.

About the environment I totally disagree. Its not even a drop in the bucket compared to other issues. Overpopulation, shipping everything from across the country or farther, not buying local etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman

Have to agree. Pony up and get a high flow cat. Cattless is childish and ricer unless on a track.
      07-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you everyone for your help in answering my question! (darkrom, BillOne, GR1P, RX-BMW, zx10guy). And to all of you who are telling me how to modify my car or why you wouldn't do the modifications I've done I just have one thing to say; It's my car and not yours, worry about your own.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
HotSauce
Citizen Snips
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
what part of VA are you in? know for a fact that NoVa does do a sniff test, but Richmond for instance, does not.
09 Crimson Red BMW 135i. P3 Boost Gauge, BMW Performance Exhaust, Matte Black Kidney Grills, ST Coil overs, 2013 LCI Taillights, 19" VMR 701 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, VRSF Intercooler, STETT CAI
Appreciate 0