BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Considering respray of front end. Is it worth it

I'm an original owner of a 2008 135i. I just had a scratch fixed on the trunk. Body shop had to refinish and respray the whole trunk. Result looked great so I asked the shop about doing the front bumper. That was $700.

Body shop owner wanted to look at it first for a better estimate. He told me that if he did the front bumper that the hood would need to be done also.
The front fenders would also need to be done to make the car look right.
The paint on the rest of the car is in good shape so it should blend.
The cost to do the front end is $2244.77. I would also buy a gloss black BMW grille. I do have shadowline trim.

Can't decide if I should dump that money into it.
What do you guys think.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Post pictures, maybe the areas just need wet sanding and compound buffing which you can do yourself and save 2100 at least...
Appreciate 1
1and11858.00
      03-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
Post pictures, maybe the areas just need wet sanding and compound buffing which you can do yourself and save 2100 at least...
The front bumper has curb scraps on both sides. They won;t rub out. There is also road rash after 8 1/2 years of driving. I appreciate the honesty of the shop owner. he knew if he did only the bumper the hood and fenders would not look right.
He did the same job on another car that was black. It's a good body shop, 30 years in business and I know his work because of the trunk repair.

I have 115,500 on it now. I want to keep the car. Still thats a lot of money but I'm confident it would look perfect. This place does very good work.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

As always, it depends on what you want to accomplish.

From a financial standpoint, you clearly won't come out on this; at best you might get another $1000 on resale.

If your intention is to keep the car a lot longer, and if it is really good condition otherwise, then it is a question of how thick your wallet is.

The 1-Series is dead and never to be replicated. Cars that drive like this with hydraulic steering and a smooth manual transmission are no longer being manufactured. The closest you could come in today's market would probably be either a Golf R, a Subaru STi, or a Ford Focus RS. The Golf has a nice interior but somewhat dull performance, a sloppy manual transmission, and electric steering (although better than found on most current BMWs). The STi is a rough, uncomfortable, boy racer car with a veneer of refinement in the interior plastered on top of an Impreza. The Ford RS is also a cheap cheap cheap vehicle when one examines the interior.

Alternatively, you might consider selling your car and buying a newer and lower mileage 135i or 135is. You could apply your savings from not doing the respray, to the newer vehicle.
Appreciate 1
PA135i967.50
      03-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Ughhh that's ridiculous. Just respray and then compound and polish the rest. A good detail should take care of it all.
      03-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

I know, with an airbrush you can correct any imperfections and with all the blending tutorials out there, it should not be too heavy a lift to accomplish...so...........the real answer to this thread would be, by a 'pro' no but by a DIYer...yes.

Last edited by Mr Gasser; 03-05-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
As always, it depends on what you want to accomplish.

From a financial standpoint, you clearly won't come out on this; at best you might get another $1000 on resale.

If your intention is to keep the car a lot longer, and if it is really good condition otherwise, then it is a question of how thick your wallet is.

The 1-Series is dead and never to be replicated. Cars that drive like this with hydraulic steering and a smooth manual transmission are no longer being manufactured. The closest you could come in today's market would probably be either a Golf R, a Subaru STi, or a Ford Focus RS. The Golf has a nice interior but somewhat dull performance, a sloppy manual transmission, and electric steering (although better than found on most current BMWs). The STi is a rough, uncomfortable, boy racer car with a veneer of refinement in the interior plastered on top of an Impreza. The Ford RS is also a cheap cheap cheap vehicle when one examines the interior.

Alternatively, you might consider selling your car and buying a newer and lower mileage 135i or 135is. You could apply your savings from not doing the respray, to the newer vehicle.
My car is in good mechanical condition. New turbos at 50K, new clutch at 80K. WP.. have the whole service history. It's in good shape. I want to get another car for winter. This shop does good work. Seeing my trunk I was impressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
My car is in good mechanical condition. New turbos at 50K, new clutch at 80K. WP.. have the whole service history. It's in good shape. I want to get another car for winter. This shop does good work. Seeing my trunk I was impressed.
I do all sorts of things that cannot be financially justified, and I keep doing them, so that must work, at least for me.

If you love the car and it sounds like you do, you have no need to justify this piddling amount of money to anyone other than maybe your spouse :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

I was debating doing the same thing and got a quote recently. The price you got seems a little high. I gotta quote for front bumper, L/R front fenders, mirrors & hood. I'll PM you w details.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
I was debating doing the same thing and got a quote recently. The price you got seems a little high. I gotta quote for front bumper, L/R front fenders, mirrors & hood. I'll PM you w details.
A lot depends on the amount of labor they think is involved. He looked over my bumper good and most of the refinish work was on that. I got a detailed quote form them so it is broken down to amount of hours involved with each piece.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

For us enthusiasts, cars are emotional attachments. I know my car definitely is to me. I would do what's needed to make it pretty again. If you trust this body shop and they've done work for you before and you are happy with their work, then by all means do it.
      03-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

I'm with Esteban , if it's your baby and this will make you feel whole again, do it. If you're more worried about the financial aspect, it might not be worth it.
      03-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

I've been in this dilemma before. Here's what I came up with. If it looks like a 10 yr old, well enjoyed car, don't spend the $. If it looks abused and will take away from your enjoyment, do it.

There's something nice about a car that isn't perfect and you don't have to obsess over every rock mark.
Appreciate 1
PA135i967.50
      03-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
I've been in this dilemma before. Here's what I came up with. If it looks like a 10 yr old, well enjoyed car, don't spend the $. If it looks abused and will take away from your enjoyment, do it.

There's something nice about a car that isn't perfect and you don't have to obsess over every rock mark.
excellent point. But it is a hard decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
HomoPirate
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Always BMW

If I really like the car and plan to keep it longer, I will do the respray/paint correction to give it a better look.
Current: F87 M2 Competition Long Beach Blue | Completely Stock |
Appreciate 1
PA135i967.50