BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Performance One
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Performance One: Dinan Turbo Replacement for N54

Performance One is Dinan Engineering’s premier retailer in British Columbia.

We recently installed Dinan’s rebuilt turbo replacement now available for the N54 engine.

Dinan’s rebuilt turbo’s provide superior performance with the engineering and reliability you’ve come to expect from all Dinan parts. Revitalize your exhausted turbos with these high grade replacements and enjoy driving again just like you did on day one. Their replacement turbo packages include a pair of rebuilt turbochargers that have been modified with a heavy duty wastegate pivot unlike the wear-prone stock wastegate pivot that commonly resulted in wastegate rattle. Their replacement turbochargers have been built to the stock BMW’s rigorous standards and testing to ensure compatibility. They guarantee their replacement N54 turbos with a 2 year, unlimited mile warranty to secure your driving pleasure in the foreseeable future.

Dinan also offers upgraded performance turbocharger replacements for various BMW models.

Please visit Dinan Engineering for more information or contact Performance One at info@performanceone.ca

Removal of the stock BMW turbochargers

Dinan rebuilt replacement turbochargers

Ready for new turbochargers

Dinan rebuilt replacement turbochargers installed

Dinan rebuilt replacement turbochargers installed

Facebook: PerformanceOneAuto Twitter: PerformanceOne Instagram: PerformanceOne Flickr: Performance One YouTube: PerformanceOne.ca Google+: Performance One
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I see the price tag is left out. Same power output as stock?

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The 2 most important things left out, price and numbers...

My guess is that was intentional and as usual dinan has the higher price and lower numbers? I'd love to be surprised, but its hard to take it seriously without any actual numbers of any kind.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
KRyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

As per the link provided...

"For the racing enthusiast, this is the ultimate upgrade to fully maximize the power output of your N54 engine. The compressor wheel inside each turbocharger is increased in size by 5mm enabling additional boost pressures at higher engine speeds while retaining efficiency. Furthermore, the Dinan twin-turbo upgrades come with upgraded heavy duty wastegate pivots that are significantly more durable than stock. These items combine to create an engine that now produces over 14psi of boost at 6300 RPM and yields a maximum of 444 HP @ 6350 RPM / 450ft-lbs @ 3300 RPM. These larger compressor turbos REQUIRE Dinan Stage 4 performance software, as well as Dinan’s cold air intake, intercooler, and oil cooler to fully regulate the boost increase and deliver a polished product. In addition to the Dinan product, an aftermarket downpipe is also required although not sold by Dinan."

Price wise the web site lists the front turbo as $1499.00 and the rear at the same price.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
As per the link provided...

"For the racing enthusiast, this is the ultimate upgrade to fully maximize the power output of your N54 engine. The compressor wheel inside each turbocharger is increased in size by 5mm enabling additional boost pressures at higher engine speeds while retaining efficiency. Furthermore, the Dinan twin-turbo upgrades come with upgraded heavy duty wastegate pivots that are significantly more durable than stock. These items combine to create an engine that now produces over 14psi of boost at 6300 RPM and yields a maximum of 444 HP @ 6350 RPM / 450ft-lbs @ 3300 RPM. These larger compressor turbos REQUIRE Dinan Stage 4 performance software, as well as Dinan’s cold air intake, intercooler, and oil cooler to fully regulate the boost increase and deliver a polished product. In addition to the Dinan product, an aftermarket downpipe is also required although not sold by Dinan."

Price wise the web site lists the front turbo as $1499.00 and the rear at the same price.
And I'm sure this is flywheel hp, since that is how Dinan always measure their upgrades. So for just $7500 (since you need Dinan Stage 4 and all the required components) you can make 380whp.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
And I'm sure this is flywheel hp, since that is how Dinan always measure their upgrades. So for just $7500 (since you need Dinan Stage 4 and all the required components) you can make 380whp.
Sounds like what I'd expect from dinan lol. Crazy CRAZY money for what you get. $7500ish for right about what you'd get with a $500 JB4 on otherwise stock car with maybe an intake?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Sounds like what I'd expect from dinan lol. Crazy CRAZY money for what you get. $7500ish for right about what you'd get with a $500 JB4 on otherwise stock car with maybe an intake?
That is all-day power, you dope...

Not 25 seconds on a dyno or a strip... Juice box lies to your ECU, that it's whole purpose. You get what you pay for...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post

Not 25 seconds on a dyno or a strip... Juice box lies to your ECU, that it's whole purpose. You get what you pay for...
Are you claiming the JB4 is not "all day power"? You most certainly do not get what you pay for from Dinan. They make good stuff but it's probably 4x the price it should be.
      09-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:

Bwahaha!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
... You most certainly do not get what you pay for from Dinan. They make good stuff but it's probably 4x the price it should be.
I would disagree with you sir. I most certainly believe that you get what you pay for and paying for Dinan is the creme de la creme, i.e., the best of the best. Do not agree with me? Read this article and let the stanceworks change your mind.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/02/m...n-engineering/

In the morning, I just want my 1er to start and go. No codes, no email the guy, no remove the box cause i'm going to the dealer. I just want to go. If I'm not at fast as those juice boxes. So be it. Although, I am totally happy with my 408 lbs of tq and 373 bhp.

Nevertheless, the dam thing should start. That is all I ask and from reading around these forums for the past 2 years. I have never seen a Dinan car not start but have read plenty "help me" threads from those Juice box guys. In fact, there is one from today, or was it last night?

So stop the comparing. You just cant do it. Its silly. Its not apples and oranges. With Dinan, your buying and engineering company.

Lets get back on track and on to the OP's original post.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Not sure what koolaid you're drinking man.
      09-29-2014, 02:15 AM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

except better, because the JB4 has a lot of capabilities the DME itself has..

anyone should know the JB isn't just any old boring piggy.

how about cobb then? given it's better..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This just made me crack up laughing. I needed that.

Oh and the post about JB4 cars not starting or some nonsense? What is your point. I guarantee you there are dinan cars that have had starting issues. Just like there are bone stock cars that won't start...

I guess they didn't pay for good engineering either when they went with bmw? That is some weird logic that some people vocal about problems means poor engineering. By that logic we are all driving hunks of shit...

I don't think its off topic to say that something is super over priced is it? If not I'll start selling my $2k intake system real soon and just silence anyone who points out what a ripoff it is. $7500...seriously?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did some more reading on these. Some interesting points to note...

+ NO DINAN WARRANTY
+ RACING ONLY PART
+ NOT EMISSIONS LEGAL

So what was that about not having to remove stuff for warranty work? Seems like you can't even buy your way into an overpriced warranty. You get literally NOTHING over the other many better aftermarket turbo options. Just less power, higher cost, and the same lack of that precious dinan warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' Sapphire Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
I would disagree with you sir. I most certainly believe that you get what you pay for and paying for Dinan is the creme de la creme, i.e., the best of the best. Do not agree with me? Read this article and let the stanceworks change your mind.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/02/m...n-engineering/

In the morning, I just want my 1er to start and go. No codes, no email the guy, no remove the box cause i'm going to the dealer. I just want to go. If I'm not at fast as those juice boxes. So be it. Although, I am totally happy with my 408 lbs of tq and 373 bhp.

Nevertheless, the dam thing should start. That is all I ask and from reading around these forums for the past 2 years. I have never seen a Dinan car not start but have read plenty "help me" threads from those Juice box guys. In fact, there is one from today, or was it last night?

So stop the comparing. You just cant do it. Its silly. Its not apples and oranges. With Dinan, your buying and engineering company.

Lets get back on track and on to the OP's original post.
"Let's get back to OP's post after my subjective diatribe justifying why I spent a stupid amount of money on Dinan upgrades."

"Don't agree with me? Read this article from a completely partisan website and change your mind to be congruent withmy viewpoint."

The tune rarely causes a mechanical malfunction; it only exacerbates impending mechanical problems. Jb4 is a great tune. DINAN tuning for the n54 is insanely price gouged with mediocre power. You could have saved a lot of money and just gotten PTF tuned via Cobb if you were worried about safety.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmaiuri View Post
"Let's get back to OP's post after my subjective diatribe justifying why I spent a stupid amount of money on Dinan upgrades."

"Don't agree with me? Read this article from a completely partisan website and change your mind to be congruent withmy viewpoint."

The tune rarely causes a mechanical malfunction; it only exacerbates impending mechanical problems. Jb4 is a great tune. DINAN tuning for the n54 is insanely price gouged with mediocre power. You could have saved a lot of money and just gotten PTF tuned via Cobb if you were worried about safety.
My young padawan, if you are going to use a word. Please use it properly. Clearly, you do not have a command of the English language. You wrote that my post was a "diatribe". The definition of "diatribe" is: "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something." There was nothing forceful or bitter in my post. Nevertheless, I am glad you read the Stance article.

If you do not believe what you read... perhaps a video from Motor Trend would better suit your ability to facilitate reasoning and understanding.

Enjoy...

2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh they have a little commercial video? Suddenly its a good deal!

Its less power, about double the cost of turbos that have over 100 HP + TQ higher, and still has no warranty.

Explain why its a good deal without using commercials or repeating their sales pitches like a parrot?

Again I'd like you to touch on the fact you keep ignoring about these turbos PLEASE. "no box to take off because I'm going to the dealer". Just gotta do a quick turbo swap right? And get rid of the catless downpipes it requires?

Also laughing pretty hard at "the M5 is the favorite car WE make". I didn't know dinan manufactured cars now. I mean I know you can drop like half the price of a car on their mild mods (and the badge!) but I still don't think that means they make cars now.

Dinan = one of the biggest ripoffs in the auto tuning scene.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

This thread is pointless. Most of the market segment that Dinan sells to are not on these forums. They don't care about pricing they pay for the name and the fact that they can get it and financing at the dealer. I would say the only comparisons that come to mind would be Alpina or Dinan if there was some aftermarket cross shopping I'd say Cobb might be the only one to really show up since they now offer complete packages now.
      09-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Let's not forget this thread was started as a sales pitch from a hopeful vendor. There was no information given, just a brief affirmation of it's existence. Oh and some pictures that were more or less useless in a singular context.

Really, this belongs at home in the Commercial/Vendor Classifieds.
      09-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Hey chunner, you sound like a chump. Take your dinan fanboy shit elsewhere. Nobody that can turn a wrench for themselves gives two shits about dinan products. You can post articles and videos and you can send Steve dinan to my house and I, like most people around here, will tell him to fuck off because I can get better peforming products for fewer dollars. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Dinan lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Hey chunner, you sound like a chump. Take your dinan fanboy shit elsewhere. Nobody that can turn a wrench for themselves gives two shits about dinan products. You can post articles and videos and you can send Steve dinan to my house and I, like most people around here, will tell him to fuck off because I can get better peforming products for fewer dollars. Nuff said.

Hey Indo Rider. It appears that you write like a 5th grader. This cyber place is known as a forum where everybody can express their opinions. You can take your diatribe shit elsewhere. Why turn a wrench, when I can pay somebody else to do it? They can experiment on their vehicle and I can reap the benefits of that research on my vehicle. I do not think Steve Dinan would come to your house and most people would not care if the man ever did. In addition, you can of course buy other performance (not peforming, you illiterate) products for fewer dollars but who the fuck cares? To each there own, by the way, you should respect other people's opinions. "Enough" said, not "Nuff".

Appreciate 0