BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Harrys lap timer and TomTom Mount Experience??

I just got the new iphone 4s, and 1 of the reasons why was to use Harrys Laptimer Pro app.. i researched and found that the TomTom Mount w/ the added GPS antenna is the way to go...so i got that too.

I went thru the app and kind of get its set up, but my question is, is there anybody here with any tips / tricks / recomendations / set ups / before i hit the track..( summit point main Nov. 12-13 w/ EMRA ) I dont want to waste a session trying it out etc etc ...

Thanks for reading..
      10-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Ask Pixelblue...i think he uses that setup.
      10-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Alex,
there is really nothing to it. just need to download the track if you haven't already done that. when you are sitting in the pit just turn it on and it will automatically know when to start and stop. make sure you don't have both shenandoah and main tracks downloaded together. since they are really close to one another it will interfere with accuracy. it's a fantastic alternative to $1k fancy versions. I just heard now you can log from the odb port through something like a kiwi for rpm, gear, etc,...

btw, chris, what happened to your handle? focusdestination no more?
      10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Alex,
there is really nothing to it. just need to download the track if you haven't already done that. when you are sitting in the pit just turn it on and it will automatically know when to start and stop. make sure you don't have both shenandoah and main tracks downloaded together. since they are really close to one another it will interfere with accuracy. it's a fantastic alternative to $1k fancy versions. I just heard now you can log from the odb port through something like a kiwi for rpm, gear, etc,...

btw, chris, what happened to your handle? focusdestination no more?
COOL..

no special anything... ??? wow... and yes i will just have main downloaded..

answer me this, when i pull up into false grid, thru the GRID, will it trigger lap start even though i am just sitting there waiting for pit out marshal to give us th ok???

i heard / read about that odbII thing also.. i think its thru bluetooth..i have to look into it..

for now ill take all the info out of Harrys..

i have a 32gb Iphone... how many full session videos do you think i can store ???

Thanks !!

p.s yeah i thought i was smokin' or something... what happened to focus definitions ???? LOL
      10-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
The app is really slick. It will recognize if you are sitting in the hot lane or pit and will consolidate. There has been a couple of weird things here and there but otherwise it's pretty solid. I dont use my iPhone video but my gopro is 32 gigs and it will record all day. What I love the most is to review the graphs and compare the stats for a particular point on track. Really helps with understanding what you're actually doing
      10-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

cool i am so sicked... cant wait to play around.. my summit trip is 2 days 4 practice sessions on saturday and 4 more true time trials on sunday..

not only will i learn this stuff with the lap timer... ill burn thru my tires that are on there last legs, and maybe even burn thru brake pads.. ill be all set to buy new stuff for next season..

although i loved my hankook rs3's.. i think im gonna go for NT01's for next season.. i grew up i guess....LOL,, maybe tru r comps???? dont know yet.

ill play with the lap time around some roads, is ther like a test setting i can use???

Alex
      10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
there are no test settings but you can just run the app while you are driving and it will show you speed and g forces and that sort of stuff.

what size wheels are you running for your track set up? you should look into toyo RA1. nothing but praise from hardcore trackers. I almost picked them up instead of my BFG R1. in hind sight, I would have been better off getting the RA1 since I could have run them in wet conditions as well. look into Ferodo DS2500 for pads next year. I was very impressed from my last exciting track outing
      10-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
there are no test settings but you can just run the app while you are driving and it will show you speed and g forces and that sort of stuff.

what size wheels are you running for your track set up? you should look into toyo RA1. nothing but praise from hardcore trackers. I almost picked them up instead of my BFG R1. in hind sight, I would have been better off getting the RA1 since I could have run them in wet conditions as well. look into Ferodo DS2500 for pads next year. I was very impressed from my last exciting track outing
im using 17 X 7.5'S ( they double as my winter wheels, it aint perfect but it has to do ) they have et42, i currently run square set up of 225/45/17, all of this square so i can rotate / flip to get the most out of tires.

and about your last barbeque....oh i mean track outing.... that was some wild video

ill check sizes...i do auto-x some how would the RA1's fare at auto x speeds / temps ????
      10-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Kori,
My handle has always been this lol. I'm going to play with the harry's lap time on Nov 5th and 6th...i'll be at summit that weekend for the main circuit... I'll be burning through the rest of my front tires in time to put on the winters lol
      10-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

Ever had any track organizers give you a problem about the mount/use on a HPDE? Plan to try this out at VIR 11/15
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post
Ever had any track organizers give you a problem about the mount/use on a HPDE? Plan to try this out at VIR 11/15
Never but I hear bmwcca are pretty anal about these things. Thats why I never attend any of their events
      10-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post
I've mounted go-pro with suction cup mount and cable tether all over my car inclluding inside... never had an issue... all they wanted was a tether so if the suction cup came free, it wouldnt hit me.

mind you all my events arent HPDE... Time Trials with EMRA
      10-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Never but I hear bmwcca are pretty anal about these things. Thats why I never attend any of their events
I'm pretty sure they all allow video cameras. But I think most of the chapters discourage visible timing devices because of their insurance, though I've seen lots of timers in instructors' cars.

I think the best approach is to email the registrar and ask if they'll allow this or that. They like to say yes and will often bend the rules to make a sale, especially if you mention that you're planning to run on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Hate to break it to you but the TomTom mount is a waste if you have a 4 or 4S. The 3's have a lesser GPS antenna and do benefit from the TomTom mount though. I asked the app's creator and he verified this. If you haven't opened the TomTom mount, return it. You really need something that will increase the refresh rate, not the positional accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ if this is true then you won't need it but you still need something to secure the phone. You can't have any play for the device otherwise the accelerometer won't function properly
      11-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Def doesn't work well with it being in your pocket haha. You'll definitely need a mount for the thing.
      11-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Def doesn't work well with it being in your pocket haha. You'll definitely need a mount for the thing.
LOL.... just think of the rather interesting video i would have if it were in my pocket... Track days do get me excited !!!! LOL

Tom Tom mount is rock solid... either way its all good.. Ill take the increased positioning and sturdy mount..

and yes i need to teather it so it doesnt fly off and hit me.. (club rules)
      11-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ haha was thinking the same thing.
      11-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Also I couldn't get the TomTom Mount to charge my iPhone 4. I had gotten it for when I had a 3GS and was disappointed it wouldn't charge since the app really drains the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #20
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Also I couldn't get the TomTom Mount to charge my iPhone 4. I had gotten it for when I had a 3GS and was disappointed it wouldn't charge since the app really drains the battery.
To charge your iPhone4 you need to remove the iPhone adapter (comes with the tomtom kit)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
go to the tom tom site, they have it laid out ..
      11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Ok, dumb question. Downloaded Harry's lap timer ( the standard version) and used it at the track for the first time yesterday. Worked like a charm and recorded all laps in all three sessions.
But now that I'm looking at the lap data, I'm trying to figure out how to create the colored lap" images" that I always see in videos and even on the app store as screen images. ( talking about the multicolored track pics that looks like intestines, for lack of a better description).
Am I missing something in my setup?
Appreciate 0