BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2135
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Msport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMsportCoupe View Post
In that case I've paid my dues already. Check out what I went through when I "reviewed" the 428i in the general forum. The thread is named something like "135 owner reviews the 428i ".
Oh gosh. I got to page 2 of that thread and couldn't continue. Made my head hurt. Obviously there's a reason all of us here love our 1ers so much. Its tough to go into a forum for a particular car and criticize it, as you're no doubt going to get many people with a different opinion. I think your "enthusiast" comment is really what opened up the can of worms.

On a totally different note - I've been in Hawaii for a week driving shitty rental cars (Ford Fiesta and a Nissan Versa hatch) and I cannot WAIT to get home and rip around in the 135is...I think it misses me...
True dat!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #2136
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Bravo!!! This is priceless! SOOOOOO true… guilty as charged. BTW, I feel complelled to nominate Greg as the "135is security guard" and add that title to Resident Data Weenie
You have to appreciate the irony in nominating the crippled guy to be the security guard. I could be head of security I suppose, but will need some goons and some muscle to do my dirty work. I also expect twice the pay to be both thread counsel and head of security. Let's hope this power doesn't go to my head.

I think I could be good though at being one of those old men security guards at the mall or some store that sit half asleep in a chair all day and you know they couldn't protect or do anything if the place got robbed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #2137
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
You have to appreciate the irony in nominating the crippled guy to be the security guard. I could be head of security I suppose, but will need some goons and some muscle to do my dirty work. I also expect twice the pay to be both thread counsel and head of security. Let's hope this power doesn't go to my head.

I think I could be good though at being one of those old men security guards at the mall or some store that sit half asleep in a chair all day and you know they couldn't protect or do anything if the place got robbed.
I don't know...starting to think you sound too high maintenance for this role

Maybe we better go with: Greg Thegr8 Mall Cop
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #2138
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
I don't know...starting to think you sound too high maintenance for this role

Maybe we better go with: Greg Thegr8 Mall Cop
Ooh! Do I get a free Segway out of this? If so, I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #2139
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
I could have gone with the mustang but I didn't want to be a stupid haole.
Classy
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #2140
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Ooh! Do I get a free Segway out of this? If so, I'm in!
Segway? Close....In light of our budget constraints, we've commissioned a special build of your transportation means. You get the very first one:

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #2141
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Segway? Close....In light of our budget constraints, we've commissioned a special build of your transportation means. You get the very first one:
I'll take it! Any chance it has the PPK sticker on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #2142
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 dadmobile

Where is this thread? I can't seem to find it. In for a good read!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #2143
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Quote:
IEDEI, your car looks awesome - love those pics. What fun with good snow tires. I so want to drive YOUR 135is through the snow (and leave mine safely in the garage)
IEDEI, I would love to be a passenger on your wild snow rides to/from work. I gotta say, in terms of pure adventure, fun and enjoyment, I think you have to be getting the most bang for your buck out of any 135is owner out there.

Quote:
Yeah, greg, still waiting! I've seen the previews, and those rotors are nothing to be shy about. We're ready for the reveal......
I've said all along, the official unveiling pics shall be coming on Monday. Had to drive it for a bit to get the matte gray coating off and then she'll be getting the spa treatment, cleaned up, and ready for her closeup on Sunday. All good things to those who wait. If only my fancy new detailing supplies would get here in time...but alas, stuck in the east coast snow and won't get here til Thursday now...dang it.

Here's the beautiful preview though:

anytime you are here Greg!!!!!

I love driving the hell out of this car....it's why I wanted one in the first place and it has not disappointed! when it snows I look out the window and say "yessssss!!!" to myself and quickly get ready and get out on the streets!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #2144
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Alpine White now!

safe and home.
IEDEI, your car looks awesome - love those pics. What fun with good snow tires. I so want to drive YOUR 135is through the snow (and leave mine safely in the garage)
thanks man! haha!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #2145
leohern037
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #445

Quote:
Hey guys,

My gut told me this christmas morning to check my coolant level for some reason. I had gotten a low coolant warning just a couple of weeks after getting my car and I chalked that up to my cracked radiator found during the PDI which was then replaced before I took delivery. I think they may have just forgotten to top off my coolant afterwards. Anyways, added about half a gallon then (!) and voila, everything was fine, checked it a week later and it was at the exact same level and never had any warning lights/issues since.

When I checked today, 7 months later, it was a little below the min level, but I hadn't gotten any light. Topped it off and I'm golden. Looks like we have a really small difference between min and max levels, too, only about half an inch difference.

Just curious if anyone has noticed that we may go through a little bit more coolant than normal with the PPK 2's upgraded, larger radiator and auxiliary radiator as well. May also just be that we go through a lil more in our climate perhaps, considering it's 85 degrees on christmas.

Anyone had to top theirs off or checked theirs? Since I bought the giant gallon bottle of BMW coolant that first go around, which needs to be diluted 50/50 with water, needless to say, I have enough coolant for years to come so figure I'll check it once in a blue moon and top off as needed.

Guess my car got two things for christmas this year - new performance rotors (going on Friday) and some coolant!
Checked my coolant today and i was a hairline below minimum. No low coolant message though. Topped her off close to the max mark and will keep an eye on it. Only a month of ownership and 1100 miles. May have been that it was low when I got it but who knows. Wish I had a damn dip stick to check my oil!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #2146
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leohern037 View Post
Checked my coolant today and i was a hairline below minimum. No low coolant message though. Topped her off close to the max mark and will keep an eye on it. Only a month of ownership and 1100 miles. May have been that it was low when I got it but who knows. Wish I had a damn dip stick to check my oil!!
I'd say just check it every few months perhaps. I topped mine off and then didn't check again for about 6 months and it was a little below minimum, though no warning light. I paid the $25 for the gallon of BMW coolant to mix 50/50 so have plenty of it and reckon I'll just check every few months and keep it at the perfect level. It will make me feel like a responsible owner. =) That and checking my tire pressures every month.

What do you think so far after 1100 miles? Bet you can't wait to hit 1200 and be done with the break-in period, huh? You going to be doing any post break-in oil change or other fluid replacement at that time?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #2147
leohern037
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #445

Quote:
What do you think so far after 1100 miles? Bet you can't wait to hit 1200 and be done with the break-in period, huh? You going to be doing any post break-in oil change or other fluid replacement at that time?
She's awesome! Best car I've ever owned. But then again I say that every BMW I've owned. What can I say, I'm a BMW guy.

Haven't gone over 4K rpms yet so yes, I can't wait until 1200. As for break-in service I'm undecided. Took the wife's X5 in for service to a new (to me) independent strictly BMW mechanic. I asked him about a post break-in service for all 3 (oil, transmission and differential) fluids and he tried to convince me not to do it. I would take it to my local dealer but I don't have the faith or confidence they would understand my request given my car is not an M model. I had a great relationship with an SA a few years back and would have no problem if he was still working there. Unfortunately since he's left my service experience has been hit or miss. I'm at a point that I don't trust anyone working on my cars. It's been hard for me to find techs that treat customer cars as if they were there own since my superstar SA left.

I can change my oil but no way I'm doing trans or diff myself. Maybe I'll see if Active Autowerke can do the break-in since I'm not too far from them. Decisions, decisions.............
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #2148
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quick Pics of New Performance Rotors

Well, finally got the car cleaned up yesterday and even though I only have about 100+ miles on the new rotors so there's still some shmootz on them and they're not fully broken in yet, here are some shots I took this morning. Tried to take some at the same place as last time for comparison purposes, but the sun wasn't cooperating and blinding me staring into the sun to take the picture, though the car was in the shade 5 feet in front of me. So, I went ahead and took some more pics once I got to work then with the lovely urban downtown LA parking lot backdrop.

I'm not sure if I really FEEL any difference, might have a lil more bite, but hard to tell. Will be interesting to see if they produce more or less brake dust on the front wheels as I've heard conflicting reports in both direction. Enjoy the pics.

Also, the fronts are drilled and slotted and look awesome and amazing with the large calipers compared to the rears which are only dimpled (not drilled) and the dinky calipers and don't look nearly as good in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #2149
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Pretty. You will not feel any difference whatsoever. If anything, those rotors will dissipate heat more efficiently during repeated threshold braking instances (or on the track), other than that, they will look great and do what the stock rotors did.

If you ever notice a rumble in your steering wheel upon light braking, you might have brake dust piled up in those slots. I had that happen once on a different car with slotted rotors, but that car saw lots of track work.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #2150
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Pretty. You will not feel any difference whatsoever. If anything, those rotors will dissipate heat more efficiently during repeated threshold braking instances (or on the track), other than that, they will look great and do what the stock rotors did.

If you ever notice a rumble in your steering wheel upon light braking, you might have brake dust piled up in those slots. I had that happen once on a different car with slotted rotors, but that car saw lots of track work.
Ya, if there is any difference in feel, it's subtle at best, but I got 'em purely for cosmetic reasons. Thanks for the tip too on the slots. What would you use to clean those out? Anything in particular or try to just blow them out with compressed air? There's already crap in the slots and dimples on the rear but not sure what the best way to clean those would be. Just what I need, more things to clean! I was tempted yesterday to take a q-tip or something and clean out some of the stuff.

It's funny, looking at the pictures, from afar you can hardly notice the rears are different, but the fronts are definitely bad ass. I just wish everything was cleaner at this point! Takes a bit to fully wear off the matte gray coating that comes on them and BMW recommends taking it easy on the new rotors for the first 125 miles or so. I even cleaned up and spray waxed the calipers too yesterday cause they had crap on them as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #2151
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Looking great Greg!!! The rotors look badass. Makes your car look a lot more aggressive. Great mod man!
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2152
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
nice rotors man!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #2153
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
She's awesome! Best car I've ever owned. But then again I say that every BMW I've owned. What can I say, I'm a BMW guy.

Haven't gone over 4K rpms yet so yes, I can't wait until 1200. As for break-in service I'm undecided. Took the wife's X5 in for service to a new (to me) independent strictly BMW mechanic. I asked him about a post break-in service for all 3 (oil, transmission and differential) fluids and he tried to convince me not to do it. I would take it to my local dealer but I don't have the faith or confidence they would understand my request given my car is not an M model. I had a great relationship with an SA a few years back and would have no problem if he was still working there. Unfortunately since he's left my service experience has been hit or miss. I'm at a point that I don't trust anyone working on my cars. It's been hard for me to find techs that treat customer cars as if they were there own since my superstar SA left.

I can change my oil but no way I'm doing trans or diff myself. Maybe I'll see if Active Autowerke can do the break-in since I'm not too far from them. Decisions, decisions.............
Google the latest version of Mike Miller's guide how to maintain your BMW. I think he gives good reasons to do the break-in service.

Greg, yours looks ace! 313's match darker colors very well.
      01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #2154
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has noticed that we may go through a little bit more coolant than normal with the PPK 2's upgraded, larger radiator and auxiliary radiator as well. May also just be that we go through a lil more in our climate perhaps, considering it's 85 degrees on christmas.
It was minus 4 degrees when I started up the car at lunch. Low coolant icon came on immediately. I couldn't see any coolant in the overflow reservoir, so the coolant level was definitely low. I called the dealer and they said they've been topping off cars all morning and to bring it in. A mumble mouthed kid who couldn't find the coolant fill port made a big mess in the engine compartment trying to add about 1 quart of coolant to my car without using a funnel, then closed the hood by pushing on the roundel with his dirty, oily glove. I hate these fu@%ers. They are 0 for 3 now. I guess I bought my car from the dealer with the crappiest service department in the business. They need to go take lessons from Columbia Hyundai. I'm going to pick up a gallon of coolant to mix 50/50 and just check it myself once a month.

Quote:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the car!!! Like you, I adhered to the 1200-mile break-in interval, but it sure wasn't always easy! I think it's worth the peace of mind to change the fluids shortly after the break-in interval is up.

Quote:
Well, finally got the car cleaned up yesterday and even though I only have about 100+ miles on the new rotors so there's still some shmootz on them and they're not fully broken in yet, here are some shots I took this morning. Tried to take some at the same place as last time for comparison purposes, but the sun wasn't cooperating and blinding me staring into the sun to take the picture, though the car was in the shade 5 feet in front of me. So, I went ahead and took some more pics once I got to work then with the lovely urban downtown LA parking lot backdrop.

I'm not sure if I really FEEL any difference, might have a lil more bite, but hard to tell. Will be interesting to see if they produce more or less brake dust on the front wheels as I've heard conflicting reports in both direction. Enjoy the pics.

Also, the fronts are drilled and slotted and look awesome and amazing with the large calipers compared to the rears which are only dimpled (not drilled) and the dinky calipers and don't look nearly as good in my opinion.
Those rotors look mean!!! I think they make a great visual statement and complement the rest of the car perfectly! I agree that the single-piston rear caliper is visually perhaps just a bit underwhelming.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #2155
lunohod (rus)
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i (DCT)

great russian project of 135

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #2156
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
It was minus 4 degrees when I started up the car at lunch. Low coolant icon came on immediately. I couldn't see any coolant in the overflow reservoir, so the coolant level was definitely low. I called the dealer and they said they've been topping off cars all morning and to bring it in. A mumble mouthed kid who couldn't find the coolant fill port made a big mess in the engine compartment trying to add about 1 quart of coolant to my car without using a funnel, then closed the hood by pushing on the roundel with his dirty, oily glove. I hate these fu@%ers. They are 0 for 3 now. I guess I bought my car from the dealer with the crappiest service department in the business. They need to go take lessons from Columbia Hyundai. I'm going to pick up a gallon of coolant to mix 50/50 and just check it myself once a month.

Those rotors look mean!!! I think they make a great visual statement and complement the rest of the car perfectly! I agree that the single-piston rear caliper is visually perhaps just a bit underwhelming.
Man that sucks about the coolant. I pretty much assumed something like that would happen as I was sitting at the most horrible dealer on earth (Beverly Hills BMW) cause it was right on the way to work...so I gave up on just having them top it off for free, pulled out of the driveway, walked in and just paid the ripoff $25 or $30 for the coolant myself.

Thanks for the compliments on the rotors. They definitely look mean and aggressive, at least the fronts, and rears just don't look as good, at least in comparison after seeing the fronts. Could be worse though, we could have the 335is or 4-series calipers with the lil BMW clip afterthought.

Clean roundels, performance rotors, and tons of coolant,

Gerg and Isabelle
Appreciate 0