BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
HaroonBalushi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

"REQUEST" opening up headlight assembly?

I did my research and couldn't find anything that is really helpful regarding this subject.
So I read around about opening up the headlight assembly and some people are saying that is pretty hard and it's way harder than the E9x headlights which I'm a bit familiar with.
I'm doing this because I want to put the LCI eyebrows on my current headlights (I bought couple of broken halogen headlights with the lci eyebrows).
The two ways of opening the E9x is the bake method and heat gun. apparently there is a a third way which I'm not familiar with and it's the hot knife method? Idk.
So does anyone have any experience or information regarding this? Would appreciate it so much.
Since it's winter and the car is parked most of the time I thought I'd give it a shot sometime next week or so but I need some more information!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

You can't bake our headlights, the only two methods are a hot knife and a heat gun/screwdriver.

Hot knife is the fastest method of opening them but putting them back together is a pita.

Most people use the heat gun screwdriver method. It requires a lot of patience and you have to reform the edges of your headlight lens when you go to put them back together.

Make sure the permaseal channel is completely clean of any old adhesive before you apply butyl for sealing
      03-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
HaroonBalushi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
You can't bake our headlights, the only two methods are a hot knife and a heat gun/screwdriver.

Hot knife is the fastest method of opening them but putting them back together is a pita.

Most people use the heat gun screwdriver method. It requires a lot of patience and you have to reform the edges of your headlight lens when you go to put them back together.

Make sure the permaseal channel is completely clean of any old adhesive before you apply butyl for sealing
Actually managed to bake one of the headlights successfully. Not saying I had to bake it once but I did do it hahahah
I will open the other one with heat gun and maybe do a diy since it's hard to find for ours!
Appreciate 0