BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #45
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
There's no reason for it to have more than 5 miles on the clock.

If it does, it's been taken out for test drives, either by dealership employees or by prospective buyers.
Not necessarily true - they do routinely and occasionally pull cars at the end of the manufacturing line to do a more extensive evaluation on at the factory - Been there - seen it done. Having said that - my car had 2 miles on it as it came off the truck.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #46
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossii View Post
Dude you are ridiculous........and your analogy to ice cream.........really?
To each his own, thats just my opinion. I dont take kindly to people getting a free jaunt on my dime. Not one bit. And if as stated they asked after the fact to go for a spin, id me more than happy to oblige.

If its bought and paid for, stay the fuck off of it, plain and simple.

Yeah, used icecream... you wana take a lick ill bring the cone to a dealership and have random people stick thier tongues on it and then watch as you eat it.

Them test driving the car makes me feel the same way. Regardless if that idea sounds appealing to others.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #47
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
A handful of miles seems reasonable, but I would think there should not be much variability in that. Isn't the process for delivery universal for ED and stateside?

If you told me most vehicles would be delivered with anywhere between 0-9 miles, etc. then that seems reasonable. But why would there be an outlier of 24 or 30 miles? Unless the vehicle was transported locally dealer-to-dealer by a driver, that seems like quite a bit.

Definitely not cool on behalf of the dealership. At the very least, they have some explaining to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #48
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
A handful of miles seems reasonable, but I would think there should not be much variability in that. Isn't the process for delivery universal for ED and stateside?

If you told me most vehicles would be delivered with anywhere between 0-9 miles, etc. then that seems reasonable. But why would there be an outlier of 24 or 30 miles? Unless the vehicle was transported locally dealer-to-dealer by a driver, that seems like quite a bit.

Definitely not cool on behalf of the dealership. At the very least, they have some explaining to do.
Again...don't automatically assume that it is the dealer. See my quote above regarding evaluating random cars coming off the assembly line.
But - the dealer should be able to tell you how many miles the car was delivered to the dealership with.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #49
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

I really don't know how many miles there "SHOULD" be on the clock.

I wouldn't feel too happy if it was test driven.

When was the last time you went to test out a performance car and didn't step on the gas and test it out?
You would probably more than you would your own brand new car.

Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus, you name it. So many of the sales reps RIP the car and FLOOR the gas and laugh all excited trying to impress.
... Alright sure it is fun... at the moment, but I'm immediately hit with a bad impression.
Warming up to a lot of them during the drive, at the end I would ask if they take it out for a spin once in a while.
All have responded YES in some way or another.

So through experience, I demand NO Test Drives in my cars.

True Story - My friend and I went to test drive an ISF and the rep actually let us take turns him including, flooring it, playing with the paddles, braking hard, turning hard, redlining, and even a bit of tail out action. Then after returning to the dealership he tried to sell me that exact car... telling me there aren't many out there... hahaha it was great fun though
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #50
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

3.9 km (2.4 mi)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #51
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Picking up my car in Munich next week, dealer paperwork says 8 miles. Dunno if this is an estimate (can't verify until I see her) or indeed they somehow made 8 miles rolling it to the facility!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #52
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
Again...don't automatically assume that it is the dealer. See my quote above regarding evaluating random cars coming off the assembly line.
But - the dealer should be able to tell you how many miles the car was delivered to the dealership with.
Agree. The most reasonable course of action would be to find out the mileage of the vehicle upon delivery at the DEALERSHIP. If a large discrepancy exists with your CUSTOMER delivery mileage, then you have your answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #53
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
Agree. The most reasonable course of action would be to find out the mileage of the vehicle upon delivery at the DEALERSHIP. If a large discrepancy exists with your CUSTOMER delivery mileage, then you have your answer.
Agreed....guess I wasn't too precise. It could be anywhere along the path - I guess I was just getting at the idea that the mileage seemed a bit high.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #54
davett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Huracan,'11 1M, '10 GT-R

Garage List
2010 Nissan GT-R  [8.40]
2008 M3  [0.00]
2009 Carrera 4S  [0.00]
2007 Porsche  [0.00]
There were < 4 miles on mine

'15 Huracan,
'14 Q5 TDI
'14 R8, '11 1 Series M,'10 Nissan GT-R,'10 GT3 , '09 911 turbo , '08 M3 sold
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #55
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Mine had 3. Several years ago when I picked up a new 330i it had 52 miles and I did make a big deal out of it. I had ordered the car so it couldn't have been test driven. I complained to the manager and they gave me a couple freebies plus a $200 credit or something like that.

OP, if you didn't say anything when you picked it up it may now be too late. Anyways, I understand your frustration. If I order a car I expect less than 5 miles on it. All they need to do is fill up the tank, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #56
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS993 View Post
Mine had 3. Several years ago when I picked up a new 330i it had 52 miles and I did make a big deal out of it. I had ordered the car so it couldn't have been test driven. I complained to the manager and they gave me a couple freebies plus a $200 credit or something like that.

OP, if you didn't say anything when you picked it up it may now be too late. Anyways, I understand your frustration. If I order a car I expect less than 5 miles on it. All they need to do is fill up the tank, that's it.
52 miles is excessive for an ordered car and it was probably driven on a test drive by other sales people. This can happen when a car comes out of detail and is put on the front line. Ive seen it happen many times. Its a mistake and needs to be addressed. However, they actually need to do more than just "fill up the tank" When cars are delivered to the it goes through the whole PDI process which removes blocks from suspension, takes the car out of delivery mode which actually restricts the car from being driven over a certain rpm and amongst other things. Keep in mind these cars are complex its not your early 90's Honda. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. Tech's have to drive the cars to make sure they are working. Cars that have gone through PDI still have issues before delivery. Personally I would have an issue if the car had more than 20 miles anything below nothing to worry about.
      07-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #57
Pinta
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Collection has been arranged for this Friday. I saw the car briefly at the weekend as I was in the area. It only arrived at the dealers back end of last week. I will let you know what the actual mileage on the car reads when I collect it. It was on 24 but it was reading very low on fuel so assuming the car is fuelled prior to collection this figure could still rise.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #58
molie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

12 miles on mine