BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #67
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
The Boss 302 is faster in a straight line and around a track than the BMW 1M, M3, etc as it was designed to be a seriously fast track car. Here are some times from Car and Driver's Lightning lap, which is a good and accurate measure of a car's performance on a track imho.

BMW 1M Coupe 3:06.6
BMW M3 DCT 3:05.4
Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca 3:02.8
I love the boss 302. It's an amazing car. I was actually thinking about getting it as a DD/fun car (Non-LS), since i just got rid of my GTI (DD). But i know it sounds stupid but i cant get over the fact that it is JUST another stang. FOrd is just trying to milk their old school cars for $$. It's not a limited car like the 1m (Non LS). i already know a few people with Boss 302 LS's that sold their cars for $5-10k off msrp with low miles. Ford just redid the exterior and color schemes for the Boss 302 for 2013. 2014/2015 another stang is coming. Sorry but i wouldn't buy a car that is literally old in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Just to note the Boss 302 Laguna Seca has the advantage of aero and R comps. The regular Boss 302 is probably still faster than the 1M and M3, but not a full 4 secs.
Thank god someone finally said it! lol. R comps make a HUGE difference guys. The base boss 302 is much much closer to the 1M's time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #68
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

No info on the ring? Or Hockenheim? Those two are the interesting tracks over here.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #69
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

The Ford Mustang Boss is a great car if you live in the US. The price/performance is very hard to beat over there. Probably one of the best buys if you take price into consideration.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #70
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Test drove a new 2012 Boss 302 today. All i can say the car is MUCH nicer in person than on paper..The Competition Orange with black rims was very sharp. As a fan of muscle cars, i have to say the Boss 302 was my favorite out of all of them that i have driven. The refinements Ford made tweaking the steering, suspension(adjustable), motor, interior etc is going in the right direction. The Recaro seats were PERFECT in the Boss, and the short shifter was as nice as any BMW manual i have driven and the Brembo's on the front look great. And the V8 wails it's soul off and sounds great...maybe one of the nicest sounding stock cars out there..and if you remove the baffles on the side exhaust you can unleash deamons from Hell....a wee bit to much for me but it's nice to have the option. The model i drove had the optional Track Key which is very very cool. The key has the tune on it and when used changes 200 parameters in the engine,steering,suspension, etc and add another 40+ HP..an option that is a must IMO. After many rides in the M3, all i can say for 30 grand less this Boss is just about as nice performance wise...But as we ALL no no american car except for the Cadillac CTV holds a candle to the German's in interior or exterior refinement and finish..but the Boss is nicely done. In the end there is no way i would trade my 2009 135i in for a Boss 302...With my mods and JB4 it feels just as fast as the Boss for daily driving and even faster down low...till you punch the bOss up to 4-75000 rpms then all hell breakes loose...On the track or quarter the BOss is faster on paper, but my JB4 car feels like beast itself and still so sexy....At some point i may have both in my driveway. My wife wants to buy my 135i, so it will still be here and i can have a muscle car at least once in this life before i crooooook. I get a different car every 2 years anyway so why not. The Boss is worth all the hype !!!
      01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #71
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Heard there is something even more powerful coming after the boss?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #72
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
But as we ALL no no american car except for the Cadillac CTV holds a candle to the German's in interior or exterior refinement and finish..
You must have drunk some GM Kool-Aid. While the CTS-V's interior is GM's best attempt so far, it doesn't come close to BMW's. I do have to give props to the drivetrain.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #73
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I would take a Ford interior over any GM interior any day. GM has the crappiest interiors I've seen, they haven't changed since the groundbreaking 1988 Grand Am. They all look the same.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #74
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

On our way back from PCD, my brother and I stopped halfway at some grungy Chevron to get some gum and pee.

When we walked out a dude in a 302 rumbled past. Stopped. Rolled back. Rolled down his windows and asked us 'is that a 1M?"

I said "Yep, just picked it up"

He looked over the 'lil beast one more time. Nodded. "Nice ride bro"

I said "You too. That boss is badass"

Two thumbs up and we went our separate ways.

I envy anyone lucky enough to own both cars. The US is making seriously compelling muscle cars again and we're all the richer for it.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #75
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I would take a Ford interior over any GM interior any day. GM has the crappiest interiors I've seen, they haven't changed since the groundbreaking 1988 Grand Am. They all look the same.
please refrain from making comments like this. you are making yourself look stupid. Go sit on a CTS-V and then come back
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #76
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
please refrain from making comments like this. you are making yourself look stupid. Go sit on a CTS-V and then come back
3 month old thread revival for a BOOM! SLAM!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #77
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Two very different cars , For daily driving I would like a 1M all day long. Boss is something for a sunday drive or a track day vehicle. It is not civilized to live with everyday and try going to work in a orange boss wearing a suit.

Performance , I haven't driven a 1M but Boss feels faster than a 135i, 335is and an M3. Mod for Mod the Boss would take the cake, try looking up kenne bell swaps. That is one solid motor. On the other end the trans is nothing to write about.

Comfort. It doesn't have the amenities that would be required on a daily basis but then again its not meant to be.

Looks - I like the 1M better than the boss. Although a 2013 looks great and I would love one.

On side note- CTS-V ( GM) interior is much better than any ford interior. Ford does a great job in the performance department but they clearly cut costs inside. Look up the interior of a Base 2012 GT. Even the premium GT has a very low quality feel to it. Boss and the GT are still a hell of performance bargain @ $33k and $40k

Just my 0.02 ( don't get butt hurt because I am not a fan boy for any vehicle and I love cars and give credit where its due)
      04-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #78
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
I've been in a CTS-V plenty of times, in fact done the full day CTS-V track day Monticello with sedan, coupe, and wagon. While it may be a tad better relative to the 'average' American-built cars, it leaves a lot to be desired, in fact it smells cheap everywhere. Faux leather, alcantara, uneven panel gaps, exposed screws and hardware, unfinished trims.

E.g. 1: Run your fingers through the end of the headliner towards the front windshield. You'd be lucky if you don't cut yourself. Like every cheap car on the market, it is not finished off/tucked away. That was on the Sedan and Wagon, luckily the Coupe was with a proper trim. E.g. 2: take a look at the rear cupholders in wagon and sedan. You will see the screw heads on the bottom plastic tray where the cups are supposed to be held. I mean c'mon, for a nearly $70K car, they couldn't figure out a better way to clip the undertray, or at least put plastic small round fascias over them?

To some these may be minor, but I noticed enough of them to bother me. On a base CTS, maaaaaybe, just maaaaaybe they can be dismissed, but still not as this is not a Chevy, it's supposed to the flagship GM offering. If the CTS-V wants to be in the M5/E63/RS6 echelon of cars not only in performance, but fit and finish, there is a looooong loooong way to go.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #79
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

The CTS-V is what it is, and i agree it's no BMW in finish and refinement but damn, it does pull quite nicely. No i would not buy one over a M3 or 1M but at least GM is making an attempt..ATM i am sitting and quite happy with my tuned 135i for street driving only..(i do not track)and will be keeping the car in the family for a long time as i have found for the price of selling it ortrading it in there is no other car i would rather have in that price range.I will pass it down to my son in the next couple of years. But that said as a 2 car driver, one for going to work and the other for pleasure i am leaning heavily on a Porsche CarreraS 6 speed MT 'used in the future... my dealer has the perfect one right now , it's not the right time..just love the stance, look, and well it just does it for me(BUT I AM WAITING TILL THE NEW M2 OR WHATEVER THEY ARE GOING TO CALL IT BEFORE I MAKE THAT BUY).aND ALSO THE X1M AND X3M ARE STILL A CONTENDER FOR DD..OR EVEN FULL TIME DUTY DEPENDING .. My bud has one and i feel very tucked in behind the wheel and used someday i will swing one. As far as the Boss 302...it's WAY tooooo much boy racer for me. The Boss by itself looks nice BUT next to the Shelby GT in Black without the stripes looks like a kids car...nothing wrong with being a kid but i find my place is behind a BMW or Porsche my muscle car's that i like .........I like the refinement and the whole package of great German engineering)The Boss will have to wait for another life...

Last edited by IZAGLO; 04-22-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #80
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't sat "on" a CTS-V but I have sat in one and it looks like crap to me. It almost makes me gag as much as an automatic convertible, but not quite.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #81
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Quote:
I haven't sat "on" a CTS-V but I have sat in one and it looks like crap to me. It almost makes me gag as much as an automatic convertible, but not quite.
WTF do you think you drive a 458 Italia. The CTS-V interior is equal to the interior in a 1M maybe a bit less but not marginally different.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #82
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Typical BMW class....our interior is GOD compared to any other cars because we don't have cheap plastic. Honestly, my GTO interior had more appeal to me than my 135i. That was the first car in ages that GM did great with the interior, but they had to let the Aussie's do it for them.

And BTW, whats wrong with an auto convertible? So I guess you gag when you see a 1 series auto convert then?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
I was gonna laugh at your retort and say something like grammar slam.

But you really have to throw a shot at me from nowhere? Really........?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
And BTW, whats wrong with an auto convertible? So I guess you gag when you see a 1 series auto convert then?
Its to get me riled up. He does this on any thread that we both comment on. Its not worth fighting with him. He just does it to troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Typical BMW class....our interior is GOD compared to any other cars because we don't have cheap plastic. Honestly, my GTO interior had more appeal to me than my 135i. That was the first car in ages that GM did great with the interior, but they had to let the Aussie's do it for them.
I wont comment on the plastic (its a fact of life in all cars now) the reason I like the 135s interior is the way its laid out. Its very simple and not glitzy. Now compare that to the interior in a CTS. The dash in one of those looks really similar to the dash in a Fiesta. And while I like the fiesta a lot I shouldnt be comparing a "luxury" brand to a 15K economy hatchback.

And all GM cars are like that. The dashboards are clutters and there is a huuuuuuge distance between the seating position and the bottom of the windshield. It makes it so that I feel like im driving a ship and it really disconnects me from the road.

But then again maybe im used to it? My other car is an older Mountaineer which had a similar simpleness to the interior that I enjoy.

Fiesta

CTS

Last edited by BrokenVert; 04-23-2012 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #84
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I was gonna laugh at your retort and say something like grammar slam.

But you really have to throw a shot at me from nowhere? Really........?

Its to get me riled up. He does this on any thread that we both comment on. Its not worth fighting with him. He just does it to troll

I wont comment on the plastic (its a fact of life in all cars now) the reason I like the 135s interior is the way its laid out. Its very simple and not glitzy. Now compare that to the interior in a CTS. The dash in one of those looks really similar to the dash in a Fiesta. And while I like the fiesta a lot I shouldnt be comparing a "luxury" brand to a 15K economy hatchback.

And all GM cars are like that. The dashboards are clutters and there is a huuuuuuge distance between the seating position and the bottom of the windshield. It makes it so that I feel like im driving a ship and it really disconnects me from the road.

But then again maybe im used to it? My other car is an older Mountaineer which had a similar simpleness to the interior that I enjoy.

Fiesta

CTS

I had a Fiesta. You are right about this comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #85
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WTF do you think you drive a 458 Italia. The CTS-V interior is equal to the interior in a 1M maybe a bit less but not marginally different.
Where did I compare a GM interior to a BMW interior? I compared GM to Ford. Great reading comprehension you have there.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #86
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Trust me , I have owned a CTS-V for close to 3 years and the interior of that car is much better than any thing from ford. And none of those a comparable to BMW which I currently own. GM high end cars like the CTS-V are put together much better. Ford is a performance bargain but they clearly used the cheaper plastics.