BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #45
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Another good option would be the new BMW 3-series...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Id still rather have the car that it stole a chassis and an engine from.

But how did this thread turn into talks of cars that are double the cost? Granted if I was wealthy enough to have a Gallardo Superleggera as a winter beater I think id be doing life right.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Just tell us the price range... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #48
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Not looking for a 'beater' More a year round daily driver.
I vote RS4 if you have the resources/patience to deal with carbon cleaning and just trying to find one you like (colors/options).

As I mentioned before I think VW/Audi make very good cars. I loved my Mk5 gli, never had any issues what so ever. Take a look at the GTI R. With an APR tune it is close to 320 hp I believe. AWD, somewhat fuel efficient, very roomy if you get the 5-door and the price isn't out of this world. I believe a loaded (only way you can get it) 5-door is 35k. Yes, it will get smoked by an STI/WRX, but if you are looking for a reliable DD that is still fun, I wouldn't look too much further.

VWs interior quality is not on par with Audi/BMW but it is far better than its Japanese rivals. I will likely be purchasing another VW product as soon as I can justify a DD.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #49
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi is the same cars. Same platforms, engines and A LOT in common. VW and Audi is very close in quality. You pay for the brand more than anything. If you want the best price you would go for Skoda. But on the other hand a Hyundai has a even better price/quality range. Do you just want a daily driver and price is the thing? Drop BMW and Audi... I would never go 1M and RS4 myself. Insurance and running costs. I have an X5 as my daily driver and love it more than anything (E70).

Just my thoughts. No right or wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #50
barische
Rep
Drives: 2011 VW GTI

Get a gti, get the APR tune then car easily pushes 290 tq, 250 hp . Its a nice car
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #51
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi is the same cars. Same platforms, engines and A LOT in common. VW and Audi is very close in quality. You pay for the brand more than anything. If you want the best price you would go for Skoda. But on the other hand a Hyundai has a even better price/quality range. Do you just want a daily driver and price is the thing? Drop BMW and Audi... I would never go 1M and RS4 myself. Insurance and running costs. I have an X5 as my daily driver and love it more than anything (E70).
Sold my E53 X5 4.8is for the 1M, that leaves me with the RS4 and the 1M (X3 for the lady), and I would never go back to an X5 and 1M...so there . Running costs were actually higher on the X5, granted it was the older gen.

I run dedicated wheels/snow tires on the RS4 (same size as OEM summers since it helps maintain dry performance, which is 95% of my winter driving), and it is like a tank in the slop. Lower center of gravity than an SUV helps its performance in the slippery stuff as long as roads are plowed in your area and ground clearance doesn't become a liability.
      04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #52
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
Sold my E53 X5 4.8is for the 1M, that leaves me with the RS4 and the 1M (X3 for the lady), and I would never go back to an X5 and 1M...so there . Running costs were actually higher on the X5, granted it was the older gen.

I run dedicated wheels/snow tires on the RS4 (same size as OEM summers since it helps maintain dry performance, which is 95% of my winter driving), and it is like a tank in the slop. Lower center of gravity than an SUV helps its performance in the slippery stuff as long as roads are plowed in your area and ground clearance doesn't become a liability.
You and I are on the same wavelength. My wife has an X3 and I a 1M. An RS4 looks like the best idea. Year round performance, the ability to track it, room for junior.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #53
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You and I are on the same wavelength. My wife has an X3 and I a 1M. An RS4 looks like the best idea. Year round performance, the ability to track it, room for junior.
Glad to hear, I think you have fine taste if I may say so While the RS4 may not be a world beater by today's standards, it still has tremendous relevance that should please you. It has 99% of an R8 engine w/ an 8,200 rpm, 420hp V8 (sounds "like a wounded tiger") that made the E9x M3 follow suit, front brakes from a Gallardo, a rear biased quattro system, decent nav that supports SD cards/iPod, satellite radio, front/rear heated recaro seats, and loads of carbon fiber trim (steer clear of the aluminum, although thumbs up on the piano black trim because that means it's a titanium pack...assuming Canada received similar options). For those that think it looks like an A4, well, they only share the roof. Mine is Avus Silver, a historic RS color great for disguising the salty slop in Illinois, would also love Daytona Gray. Purchasing used, it will practically be depreciation proof...so you can almost think of it of a free trial should you want to change it up in a year or so. Good luck in your search for the right year-round ride.
      04-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #54
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Get a second 1M haha
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #55
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post

Cool! I must say I love my X5 3.0d (E70). Low running cost (diesel) and not bad insurance. Have Nokkian Hakka SUV (spikes) in the winter. Its superb in all conditions and the more snow the more the king of the road it is. I also like new generation X-drive over Quattro. But the RS4 is a really good winter car and as you say lower gravity makes it good when its not to much snow. Over here RS4 is a rather expensive car. In most cases like two 1Ms...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #56
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Get a second 1M haha
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #57
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
It seems most folks recommend the RS 4, so let me offer a perspective as a current such owner. It is a car I honestly do not see myself parting ways with any time soon, despite some of its flaws. And this is despite the carbon build-up plague, which sadly is chronic and no cure in sight. (another thing to note is the stock DRC suspension had issues initially, which in my case had 2+ failures until I finally went with Ohlins which transformed the car, though it appears Audi has solved this by going to a different subcontractor so that shouldn't be a concern for you presently as there is a TSB). On the CB front, if you mentally prepare for it (I personally think of it as 'engine detailing' just as I would of an exterior waxing), and know that every 20K (yes, 20K) miles you need to do a scrub, you will never regret your decision and look back. Nothing in life is perfect, think of your better half, despite her/his/(its?) flaws, you still love her/him(it?) for whatever he/she/(it?) is overall. And in this case, the overall package is so good, that you could live with the handful of flaws.

I drink plenty of the BMW koolaid, this was my first Audi (and likely last for a long time but that's another topic), but I personally found it superior to the M3 in many of the factors and categories that were important to me (granted a lot of those are subjective and highly personal), and IMO make it the perfect Jekyll and Hyde combo with the 1///M. They are both so different, yet intoxicating in different ways, that to me they are awesome complements, rather than substitutes. It is the perfect 1-2 punch of visceral 'daily duty' stablemates. When I am driving the 1///M, I often think of the RS 4 (when I 'miss' the 8200+ hard pull to redline and V8 rumble). When I drive the RS 4, I often think of the 1///M (when I 'miss' the brunt of the massive gobs of TQ down low and nimble handling).

There are at least a half dozen members on this board alone that have both cars and am pretty sure can attest the same sentiments. You won't go wrong with it, but as has been eluded to, prices have held pretty firm (then again, not very surprising as there were only about 2,200 or so sedans and 200 verts imported in total).
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #58
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I don't know about you but for me a second car shouldn't need as much love and taking care of and pampering as my 1M... And for a second car, not as much insurance with better gas mileage that comfortably fits 4. The RS4 is an amazing car, sounds and looks boss...but a car I would also pamper and mod, which gets expensive.

My second car is a Audi A4 Quattro, 2000 model year with the 2.8. It's one of the most well-built and reliable cars I've ever owned. I've driven it over 147,000 km throughout Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic and France, never an issue and surefooted as a goat. Throw a ski box on it and off to the slopes or off to a camping trip. AWD has easily taken me through 9" of snow....6 winters here in Germany....great car and one to let my daughter use when she starts driving as it's got airbags out the ass.

I'm only sad that it's German spec, so will have to sell it when I go back to the US....and then look for another one to buy. Great second car.

Just my two "euro" cents

Last edited by Rikx1M; 04-25-2012 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0