BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
hubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Modify my 135i Convertible.

Ok, so this is the first real sports car I've ever owned and I don't know which of the major mods to do first, or why.

I have a Sedona Red 135i Convertible with the Sport and Premium packages and an Automatic transmission. They gave me the M steering wheel and paddle shifter for free. Got a really good deal on the car, so I have some money to burn on mods.

I don't think I want to do them all at once. So which order should I do them in? So far, its just been small cosmetic upgrades like aluminum pedals.

1) I hate the run flat tires. They are too bouncy, and I am going to burn them up quick the way I drive. I know this. Especially if I upgrade the turbo. Like the rims, but not necessarily the alloy color. I don't know if I'm going to swap them or not. Not much available in an 18 with the 1 series fit patterns. But then the brake dust drives me nuts. Thought about a darker color wheel or one that didn't show the dust as much as the alloys do.

2) I love the Dinan Stage 2 turbo reports. Totally want to do this. But what about the intercooler, or other needed upgrades to keep the engine life long. I plan on keeping this car a long time.

3) Intake seems fine, right? Anyone do a cold air?

4) Stereo is ok, but could be upgraded. I like the interface, but the speakers need some work, I think.

5) If I do a Dinan turbo, how are the suspension and brakes going to hold up? Will I need to improve these?

6) I am really interested in the Remus Dual Exhaust. Even if it means a custom rear diffuser, which I think is the cheapest looking part on the whole car, so two birds with one stone. Or two stones, or whatever. I have a source on a custom one in aluminum, which I'll then have painted to match, or black. Don't know yet.

7) I've decided to swap the interior trim with another board member, since I'm not a big fan of the gray poplar. I hate all the flat aluminum colored items in the interior, and will be changing them or painting them. Including the shift knob.

8) Lastly, I like the "M" Aerodynamic kit. I think 1700 is a bit overpriced though.

Ok, which should I do first?!? I have only 400 miles on the car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
sounds like you really need to:

all of your questions have been answered many times...this site has a plethora of info, you just gotta look for it...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Is there a "none of the above"?

Since this is your first sports car, I would invest in the driver. Take some track schools and maybe go to a few autox. Until then you may have your hands full with the stock power, let alone a turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
hubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I've driven an RSX type S. Which was modified, but I had the dealer do all of it and got killed on the price. I'm a good driver, but not great.

I am going to do as you suggest nordique. It'll be fun.

I've read this board, a lot, and I think it's great. I know the answers are all there, but I wanted to know others opinions about the whole deal.

Like Tires before Turbo, Turbo before exhaust, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
hubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I've also owned a BMW before, but it was a 318 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Since you have a convertible, forget about running with the BMW club on the track. Look into Hooked on Driving or TrackMasters. They both allow convertibles and I think they both run at Button Willow (which is the closest track to you). Note that all clubs (including the BMW CCA) allow convertibles at autox.

When you do get into modding your car, look at getting the same size wheels/tires all around (and dropping the run flats). A nice set of lighter wheels/tires will help with the understeer and drop a lot of unsprung weight (which is way more important then sprung weight).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Is there a "none of the above"?

Since this is your first sports car, I would invest in the driver. Take some track schools and maybe go to a few autox. Until then you may have your hands full with the stock power, let alone a turbo upgrade.

Totally agree. Whats the point to upgrade a TINY car with 300HP? Especially for your first sports car.....just don't kill yourself....learn to drive the car first.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

Have a look at http://bmw-e82-tuning-guide.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Most clubs allow convertibles, my local BMWACA chapter does so long that the car is equipped with a factory roll over protection system (and my '98 M3 was so I imagine your '09 135i is).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Most clubs allow convertibles, my local BMWACA chapter does so long that the car is equipped with a factory roll over protection system (and my '98 M3 was so I imagine your '09 135i is).
There has been extensive discussions about this in Roundel over the past few months. BMW CCA does not allow convertibles with just factory rollover protection. The local chapters may allow convertibles with rollover cages but that is up to each chapter. Most chapters get their insurance from National CCA. If they do then they should not allow convertibles with just factory rollover protection as they are not covered under the policy. Maybe your chapter is using their own insurance and not subject to the regulations? This is the first CCA chapter I have heard of that allows them.

The track organization I know of in California that allow convertibles are Hooked On Driving and TrackMasters. I have run with both organizations and they put on a good safe events.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
hubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0