BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Using e9x MSport shocks from 335i or simmilar as a potential suspension upgrade

This is my account of using 335i shocks. This is very relevant for the 135i guys because I use the same Msport springs as you.

So my 128i sport developed a leaking Front shock at 115k km. Not being ready to get a set of aftermarket shocks(I want the rear M3 link arm and do it right) and I was not willing to get another sport 1 series shock, or KYB shock, or other aftermarket oe spec.

So I chose to experiment to the benefit of my self and maybe to some of you here. Locally people sell 3 series Msport parts very cheaply and often in like new state, a win for me. (BMW Performance shocks were not available for me for a very good price).

Inspired by Koni, who changes only the rear shocks between 3 series and 1 series kits; I decided to use e9x MSport shocks as a potential upgrade and update. The shocks are the same on all e9x 3 series with Msport/Sport. Also the upgrade feature could be to me that the shocks are valved stiffer to support a heavier car.

The next question was what year shocks. The e9x has gone through more suspension changes than 1 series. I looked at the reviews here and people comments for one good week, here is what I found:
06-07 early models characterized by harshness over bumps, often due to runflats. Removing run-flats solves issues, and praised as an okay system.
08-10 Softer than before, mostly negative sentiment compared to 06-07. Simmilar to what we all live with here on 1 series.
11-13 Often praised as an update over issues of 08-10, evidence in numerous reviews, magazine reviews, AND Dinan making a statement that the shocks are fit for mild lowering spring upgrades. Improvements mentioned revolve around small bumps being dampened much better than previous generations.

The decision:
I decided to use 2011+ e9x MSport shocks as a potential upgrade and update, because of the numerous reviews, not wanting to relive 1 series Msport issues, and lastly they are newer so maybe in better shape.

I did have choice over the following USED sets: 20k km 2011 335is shocks, 40k km 2007 335i shocks ( I could have found 328i Msport also, but none were available, there would be no difference in Part numbers). All were rust free and looked brand new.
Comparing all I noticed that 2011 rears were very different, and my decision point. The 2007 rebound was slow compared to the 2011 which just wanted to rebound so quickly. The fronts I could not compare, the 2011's were sold with springs attached . Since my 1 series Msport suspension had that usual Po-go like effect in the rear, I didnt care about not testing the fronts of 2011 shocks.

The result:
I was very surprised to notice the behaviour described by almost everyone here of new shocks of ABC123 brand.
Things like flat rail road crossings no longer bother me at all, manhole covers, bumps are absorbed really well, there is much less of the old drama with every imperfection. The occasional big dip is noticed but it is much more controlled than before, the rear doesn't do the uncontrolled bounce to the degree that it did before. You would think that with this added comfort that I would lose the feel of the road and sportiness. NO!!! I still feel the bumps and imperfections, the shocks feel stiff in a controlled way and dont think I lost any performance. I can now focus on the road ahead rather the state of the roads imperfections. Overall, I am very satisfied with this update/upgrade and recommend anyone in my situation to try the e9x 2011+ Msport shocks.

Now granted these shocks are still Msport- so maybe what I described above is the symptom of a fresh suspension, but I honestly feel that these shocks are performing as good as a Koni Strt kit which I recently rode as passenger in a 128i(Koni Srt.t is often compared to a Koni Yellow at setting #2-3). So I am satisfied and will let you all know if my car starts to feel like the Msport 1 series suspension. Dont get me wrong, I am sure there are better shocks ( Koni's or Bilstien's) but I wanted to fix my OEM suspension so that the car has one as a spare to my future planned upgrades.

Upgrades done at the same time as shocks:
2011 135i Msport springs F&R (the linear rears spring) - Now this means all you 135i guys can benefit too from this upgrade, I'm using your springs! (For a 128i the front spring needed Lowering Perches to compensate for added height - I am still at stock dealership style ride height. I got these free so it would be a crime not to try them. Thx @mikal7)
SP Lowering perches - see above. good product, noiseless, quality thick metal
M3/1M rear arms (top & side) - These make the rear planted and allow more grip, perhaps make the car more neutral. Hard to tell all the benefits so early on.

My cars older suspension mods:
Michelin PSS 225/255, e93 M3 Front sway bar

Credit for consultation and generally backing me up on this alternative plan:
@pj.rodriguez and @Fidiman

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 08-09-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I drove it and rode in it. It is a lot less dramatic now and you don't have to cringe or brace your abs when you go over bumps in the road. Significant improvement in dampening ability from the stock msport shocks etc.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Thanks for sharing this
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
M3/1M rear arms (top & side) - These make the rear planted and allow more grip, perhaps make the car more neutral. Hard to tell all the benefits so early on.
I found the rear arms make the car feel more planted on fast wide cornering.
      08-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
I found the rear arms make the car feel more planted on fast wide cornering.
Definitely the tires just hold grip very well allowing you to stay on your intended line. I cant wait to do m3 front arms, but chose to do rears first because i found deal and some article I read supported it as a great improvemnt

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Get on those front arms already! There are a couple people on the forums selling a set of them.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0