BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Parking outside without carport - Car cover or not?

Car cover to propel dust, pollen, bird poo, and waterspots from rain and particulates.

I heard that car covers causes scratches and you should just keep it nicely waxed but uncovered.

What do you think?

:iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

SF:

I had a nice Accord, older but in primo condition, that I used to commute for years. Being in St. Pete, FL the sun is really hard on paint, vinyl, dark trim pieces etc. and this car had been spared that...so I chose to use a car cover every work day. It ended up being a great idea and here's why:
-- the cover was very light (and so no scratches)
-- the cover was very light (and so easily washed on occasion)
-- the cover was very light (and so it absorbed little water, despite Tampa Bay having many thunderstorms each year)
-- putting on the same way each morning (about 60 secs, max) and folding it up the same way each evening made the process automatic and always without a hassle

In climates with freezing temps, I wouldn't bother. But for a nice car - and given how easy this can be, if the fold/unfold routine is standardized, I definitely recommend it. (BTW the one other car addict at my workplace did the same thing; everyone else thought we were both nuts).

Jack
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Just don't get the BMW exterior car cover. I bought it and sent it back..it was awful. It had hard abrasive nylon straps sewn into the UNDERSIDE. The side that is in contact with your car. Stupid to say the least. I sent it back and got the Satin cover..it's only for indoors, but that is all I need.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

ARe you parking on the street or your own property?
If you own property maybe a good quality car cover.
If on the street I wouldn't bother and just keep the car washed and polished regularly.
A car cover on the street shouts look at me to the unwanted eyes (general F&*^ Wits) if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
ARe you parking on the street or your own property?
If you own property maybe a good quality car cover.
If on the street I wouldn't bother and just keep the car washed and polished regularly.
A car cover on the street shouts look at me to the unwanted eyes (general F&*^ Wits) if you know what I mean.
I'm parking inside a townhome community in a spot right in front. I can see my car from anywhere in the home.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Just don't get the BMW exterior car cover. I bought it and sent it back..it was awful. It had hard abrasive nylon straps sewn into the UNDERSIDE. The side that is in contact with your car. Stupid to say the least. I sent it back and got the Satin cover..it's only for indoors, but that is all I need.
wow that's not good. thanks for this info.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
SF:

I had a nice Accord, older but in primo condition, that I used to commute for years. Being in St. Pete, FL the sun is really hard on paint, vinyl, dark trim pieces etc. and this car had been spared that...so I chose to use a car cover every work day. It ended up being a great idea and here's why:
-- the cover was very light (and so no scratches)
-- the cover was very light (and so easily washed on occasion)
-- the cover was very light (and so it absorbed little water, despite Tampa Bay having many thunderstorms each year)
-- putting on the same way each morning (about 60 secs, max) and folding it up the same way each evening made the process automatic and always without a hassle

In climates with freezing temps, I wouldn't bother. But for a nice car - and given how easy this can be, if the fold/unfold routine is standardized, I definitely recommend it. (BTW the one other car addict at my workplace did the same thing; everyone else thought we were both nuts).

Jack
ahh good advice. thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
HardTech
Rep
Drives:

Granted maybe things have changed, but every time when I was growing up if it had a car cover for daily use the cars paint had damage. The only time someone got away with it (was not used for daily use though) was on a classic car that was wash, waxed, buffed, and then car cover placed over it where it sat in a garage for a year or so. He would drive the car and then before put up wash/wax/buff the car after cleaning/vac the cover.

Unless you wash the car every time and the cover, sand and grit will get between the cover (it will period if it sits outside for extended period of time) and your paint. The end result after some wind or someone brushing up against it is a scratch. To this x times a year and it ands up. Its all micro and yes toy could just buff it at the end of the year or what ever. But basically anything that covers the car is asking for problems. Only exception is clear bras. That’s because it doesn’t move after it’s placed. Anything that moves will scratch giving it time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTech View Post
Granted maybe things have changed, but every time when I was growing up if it had a car cover for daily use the cars paint had damage. The only time someone got away with it (was not used for daily use though) was on a classic car that was wash, waxed, buffed, and then car cover placed over it where it sat in a garage for a year or so. He would drive the car and then before put up wash/wax/buff the car after cleaning/vac the cover.

Unless you wash the car every time and the cover, sand and grit will get between the cover (it will period if it sits outside for extended period of time) and your paint. The end result after some wind or someone brushing up against it is a scratch. To this x times a year and it ands up. Its all micro and yes toy could just buff it at the end of the year or what ever. But basically anything that covers the car is asking for problems. Only exception is clear bras. That’s because it doesn’t move after it’s placed. Anything that moves will scratch giving it time.
My plan is to dirive it to work Thursdays and Fridays. Drive it around town for fun on the weekends. Sunday is wash and wax touch up day. This is when I would use the cover, Sunday night and only after a thorough clean.

My car would be covered clean Monday - Wednesday, then repeat above usage/care

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0