BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Akrapovic vs Borla

Hi guys, I've just got my 1M it does'nt even have it's license plates on and I'm already thinking on some mods.

I'm getting the Mad Dad midpipes but I don't now if combining them with the akrapovic slip on system or the borla atak axle back... A friend of mine told me that in the case of the Akrapovic, you are paying brand name and a light weight material but in the casr of the Borla Atak, you are paying less money for an equally reliable aftermarket part with an excellent sound and for a brand that has always worked with cars unlike akrapovic that has a bigger history with bikes.

Any comments or suggestions would be trully appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I think it comes down to what you can afford. In terms of power gains, one exhaust isn't going to be better than the others (gains are too small to make a difference). Your decision will likely be based on sound, weight savings and cost. Both manufacturers are well known so you won't have to really worry about quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

I can afford both systems... no problem but it would help to know if with the borla I would get a better sound for less money... I'm going to use my 1M almost every day and ocassions on track but just for fun nothing pro, so weight saving is not that big of a deal. My problem is that I can't find videos of the borla system to help me make a decision...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by widbimmer View Post
I can afford both systems... no problem but it would help to know if with the borla I would get a better sound for less money... I'm going to use my 1M almost every day and ocassions on track but just for fun nothing pro, so weight saving is not that big of a deal. My problem is that I can't find videos of the borla system to help me make a decision...
Go to the exhaust subsection ^^^

Plenty there, here is a video of the Borla:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ighlight=borla

If money is not an issue, Akra hands down IMO
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I had a Borla on my 135 and I have the Akra on my 1M

Both cars had straight pipes in the middle (135 Borlas, 1M N55 pipe with a resonator delete)

The sound is VERY different. I want to say the Borla was louder but the Akra has opened up and is loud in its own right. Hard to determine which was louder.

The Akra has a more "euro" sound. The Borla had a good amount of drone compared.

I love the Akra sound. The craftsmanship is top notch. You cant go wrong with either but I think if I had to choose again the Akra is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Have you considered the Meisterschaft?

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I had a Borla on my 135 and I have the Akra on my 1M

Both cars had straight pipes in the middle (135 Borlas, 1M N55 pipe with a resonator delete)

The sound is VERY different. I want to say the Borla was louder but the Akra has opened up and is loud in its own right. Hard to determine which was louder.

The Akra has a more "euro" sound. The Borla had a good amount of drone compared.

I love the Akra sound. The craftsmanship is top notch. You cant go wrong with either but I think if I had to choose again the Akra is a no brainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip@McKennaPerformance View Post
Have you considered the Meisterschaft?

Thanks for your post... I use to have a 135i but with no mods other than cosmetic, then I got an S3 and installed a TBE from Milltek, the I bought a Mini JCW but sold it after 3 weeks with no mods. Now I have the 1M which I keep on keeping for a while.

I have a friend that has a Akra installed with mad dad midpipes and i love the sound of it but i was trying to find maybe someone in this forum that can tell me that the borla would be a better option.

I still have my doubts but in the end, the akra its probably going to be the winner.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

Quote:
I recently installed the Akrapovic Slip on system with CF tips and paired it with a MadDad Midpipe. The sound is intoxicating! You just can't get enought of it once you listen to it! Also the wireless kit I got with the Akra is perfect! I can keep the loudness controlled, and let 'er rip when I want to!

Hope this helps you!
      09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Love my borla but if akra is chump change to you I'd go for the akra. For the money I'm really happy with the borla. It just screams at top end. Doddling around has a nice growl and burble. You have my video. It sounds even better since break in and in real life.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

Thanks Diego! Akra FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

By the way, there is a good probability that your 1M is one of the last produced cars, if not THE last one. Check the registry thread (close to end around July) in the sticky section
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

Akra when money is no objection.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
By the way, there is a good probability that your 1M is one of the last produced cars, if not THE last one. Check the registry thread (close to end around July) in the sticky section
I was thinking that the other day... It arrived to my country August 16th after a month on high seas...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #14
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Thanks for the video diego!

I'm going for the akra slip on. The 1M deserves a more aggressive exhaust IMO.

On a side note i'm pretty sure I got the last 1M in south africa had delivery on the 4th of August
      09-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

i live in colombia (south america)....we only got 39 1ms and there are 20 something still avaible....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

Here in Peru they brought like 60 and they sold out... They cost US$ 70k fully equiped as the only option... I even had a friend of mine offering me 4k ovet that price but I decided to keep it!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsunzhine View Post
i live in colombia (south america)....we only got 39 1ms and there are 20 something still avaible....
Given the qualities and extreme popularity of the 1M, it looks like Colombia received around 20 more than it should They would be sold out in many countries before they were taken out from the ship.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

AKRA FTW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

Quote:
Here in Peru they brought like 60 and they sold out... They cost US$ 70k fully equiped as the only option... I even had a friend of mine offering me 4k ovet that price but I decided to keep it!
Congratulations, I received my AW on Aug. 18th from Inchcape and love it every second I drive it. I also ordered the Maddad with the Borla exhaust , just waiting to bring it from Miami.

I like the way it sound with the Borla/ Maddad, Akra sounds amazing too but rather save the money for the Evolve tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

Quote:
I actually ordered mine in April but without some options and paid low 60s
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachirims View Post
Congratulations, I received my AW on Aug. 18th from Inchcape and love it every second I drive it. I also ordered the Maddad with the Borla exhaust , just waiting to bring it from Miami.

I like the way it sound with the Borla/ Maddad, Akra sounds amazing too but rather save the money for the Evolve tune.
Inchcape there too; hope they do better job in representing BMW brand then they do in Chile. What a waste BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
widbimmer
Enlisted Member
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachirims
Quote:
I actually ordered mine in April but without some options and paid low 60s
Without the idrive option and maybe some other options the price should come to somewhere around 64k. Anyways what matter most is the performance of the car. We can gather up with some other 1M owners over here...
Appreciate 0