BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #45
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
A point of view to be sure.

If a guy wants to dress up his car with ///M badges, so be it. As long as he paid for it. And paid for the badges.

People mod their cars to their hearts content. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW how are those smoked lens working for ya?

GREAT!!! I get complements about the car 24/ 7... Especially when I make the late night run to publix...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #46
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
?

what does that mean?
Really?
Plain as day what it means.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #47
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
No it really isn't. You're saying guys with msport couldn't afford a real M?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #48
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think of a M car as something that is meant for the track... I have no time to drive to the track and spend the day so I don't really see the need to buy a M car right now... Plus the 1M wasn't out when I got my car... Its kind of like buying a dog and going on vacation all the time... You would never see it... So I would hate to deprive a M car from the track...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #49
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I think of a M car as something that is meant for the track... I have no time to drive to the track and spend the day so I don't really see the need to buy a M car right now... Plus the 1M wasn't out when I got my car... Its kind of like buying a dog and going on vacation all the time... You would never see it... So I would hate to deprive a M car from the track...
I think thats the only point that even needs to be made here... I mean had it been around last summer I woulda probably gotten that instead but I'm not about to go take a huge hit on a 10 month old car (that is probably just as fast if not faster than the 1M since it's tuned and has about $2500 in suspension upgrades on it). I doubt anyone got an Msport because they wanted all the ///M's all over the car to pretend it was a real M. Plus it seemed like BMW put out more Msport models than regular ZSP models anyway. Who wouldn't want a black headliner for $200 more?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #50
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Not what it says at all. What it clearly says is.....non M-sports owners are the ones complaining about the M-Sports cars and its attached M logos. Nothing whatsoever to do with 1M cars at all.

"M's on the M-sports cars"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #51
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
see this is why i asked for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think thats the only point that even needs to be made here... I mean had it been around last summer I woulda probably gotten that instead but I'm not about to go take a huge hit on a 10 month old car (that is probably just as fast if not faster than the 1M since it's tuned and has about $2500 in suspension upgrades on it). I doubt anyone got an Msport because they wanted all the ///M's all over the car to pretend it was a real M. Plus it seemed like BMW put out more Msport models than regular ZSP models anyway. Who wouldn't want a black headliner for $200 more?
Plus u car is Badass... Can I just have ur car instead of the 1M^^^

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #53
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Pending

Quote:
really?
Yes really.. Why do people buy CSL/ M3/ M5 or for VW/ Audi's the RS replica wheels? It's for aesthetics and to look like the more expensive offering. To me it is no different then re-badging a car as an ///M, RS, AMG.

However, unlike the badges, which have little to no effect on actual performance, the replica wheels are usually heavy cast wheels that are more prone to imperfections. To me that is far worse, but most of the hypocrites here will never see it that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #54
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee View Post
Yes really.. Why do people buy CSL/ M3/ M5 or for VW/ Audi's the RS replica wheels? It's for aesthetics and to look like the more expensive offering. To me it is no different then re-badging a car as an ///M, RS, AMG.

However, unlike the badges, which have little to no effect on actual performance, the replica wheels are usually heavy cast wheels that are more prone to imperfections. To me that is far worse, but most of the hypocrites here will never see it that way.

How about they just look good as hell on the car? Why does it have to be people are trying to BE someone or something they aren't. I've had VB3's for both my E90 and my 135i... I just love the look, not trying to be anything I'm not, shit I have VMR stickers on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #55
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How about they just look good as hell on the car? Why does it have to be people are trying to BE someone or something they aren't. I've had VB3's for both my E90 and my 135i... I just love the look, not trying to be anything I'm not, shit I have VMR stickers on my car.
Whatever makes you happy...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #56
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

I've never heard of anyone who opposed putting different rims on a car... I just take issue with badging, not wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #57
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

i got the M badge license plate cover is that bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #58
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC 135i View Post
i got the M badge license plate cover is that bad?
No but you have it as your avatar.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!itstheendoftheworld!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #59
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
I've never heard of anyone who opposed putting different rims on a car... I just take issue with badging, not wheels.
Neither have I. The BBS CSL style wheel was also included on the E46 M3 with the competition package, so I doubt that car was trying to be a poser of its CSL sibling. Now, I have seem some people install the same front fascia and duck tail trunk lid of the CSL onto regular E46 M3s, which I suppose could be considered on the poser side. Also, what about the people who may have put those style of wheels on their car before the CSL came out? Did they become posers overnight?
      04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #60
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
What really irks me is when people buy the cheaper knock off cereals. Like when they get Marshmallow Mateys in that bag instead of Lucky Charms. They wish they could afford the luxury of a box and the inherent fees from international marketing, but instead they settle. Then when I eat it and can't tell the difference I get real pissed because I've been spending so much on Lucky Charms all these years. And then of course pirates are way cooler than leprechauns, but that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #61
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I always wonder why people debadge their cars.
I love the debadged look. When my car got rear-ended and the trunk was replaced, I had them replace it without the badge. I was thinking, what do I gain from letting people know what model of car this is?

Since most people don't even know BMW makes a 1-series, having it debadged further adds to the mystery. Can you blame me for finding that the combination of mystery, understatement, and power makes for a compelling aesthetic? If you really want everyone to know how fast it is, mashing the gas pedal leaves a far stronger impression than the letter M (not that I condone "look at me" driving). Besides, the numbers 35 or 28 are pretty meaningless. They don't correlate to engine size. One is vaguely higher than the other, I guess.

Last edited by bluejaypanther; 04-20-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #62
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I took the "128i" badge off the back of my vert because I didn't like the way it looked. I changed the grilles from chrome rim/black interior to all black for the same reason. Chrome on a white car just doesn't look the best to me. Mine has the sport package (not M-sport) so it has blacked out door trim. I thought about putting on a black 128i but decided I like the way it looks naked. I'm not ashamed of my car, I just don't like the plastic/chrome badge.

If BMW chooses to put M badges on a car with a M-sport package on it, I don't see how I can fault the owner. I've thought about the steel/rubber pedal set and the only dead pedal that matches seems to be a M-badge dead pedal. It is subtle and I could maybe do that. But putting the ///M badge on the back of a non-M car is like putting a V10 badge on a Kia to me (I like that picture - it is a classic to me).

My preference would be for BMW to put M badges on M cars and not on other cars. But then I also think they should have bumped the output at least a little on the 1M and not make it the first M car without even special tuning. My main hangup is with people deciding to rebadge their car to what they wish it was. False advertising.

Jim
      04-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #63
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Ummm, no. Go read the 1M subforum if you want to know about all the differences. Some people are also suggesting that BMW will not sell you some of the 1M parts (don't know how well they could control that). The one you can't fake is the wide body kit. If you could get that then you might be able to get pretty close, but right now it's not an option.
I call BS on the "BMW wont sell you a 1M part over the counter"..

they would sell there mother if there was someone willing to buy her and make a profit...

( the only parts they MAY be able to control are vin specific parts like DME's and CAS control units)

but to answer OP's question... exterior badging to be an imposter is wrong..

///M branding to show solidarity is a win...like jackets, wallets, caps, et cetc etc
      04-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #64
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkriens View Post
What really irks me is when people buy the cheaper knock off cereals. Like when they get Marshmallow Mateys in that bag instead of Lucky Charms. They wish they could afford the luxury of a box and the inherent fees from international marketing, but instead they settle. Then when I eat it and can't tell the difference I get real pissed because I've been spending so much on Lucky Charms all these years. And then of course pirates are way cooler than leprechauns, but that's another story.
I don't mind so much when someone buys the cheapo Marshmallow Mateys. I just can't stand it when they re-badge them by pasting a Lucky Charms logo on the box. What posers.

I'm not sure about how I feel about de-badgeing cheap cereal. Maybe that's OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Seriously I have no clue why you have to defend your car...^^ Its crazy nice.. I would die to hook my car up like that...

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #66
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Also, what about the people who may have put those style of wheels on their car before the CSL came out? Did they become posers overnight?
Grandfathered in I suppose?

Appreciate 0