BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

128i: Couple of strange problems

My dad has recently run into a couple of problems with his 2008 SGM 128i with sport package….
First off, there was a grinding coming from the front end while braking (the car has approximately 15,000 miles.) He took his car to our dealership and they identified that the front tires have severe cupping. Prior to our visit I did a search on this site to see if anyone had had any similar problems. The only thing I found was in a situation not very close to his as the majority of the miles (13,000+) have been totally straight highway. Our service manager seemed just as stumped as we were. As a result, our district supervisor is going to come in and look at his car on Monday to see if it might be a problem with the tires. It seems BMW has had recent issues such as these with Bridgstone (his are Pirelli).
The second problem is even stranger…. One day a few weeks ago we washed the car and noticed a problem with the paint on the rear bumper. Even though it had just been washed it looked like it had a layer of dust on it. Upon closer examination we notice pitting in the paint and when we ran a finger over the surface a small amount of what looked like dust came off. The supervisor is going to look at this issue as well.
Anyone have any ideas as to what the causes of either problem are?? My dad and I are both avid car nuts and are totally stumped on both.:iono::iono::iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

UPDATE:

BMW has agreed to replace all 4 tires at no charge. They have also offered to buff the rear bumper to see if that helps. If it does not they suggested they might repaint the entire car.....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
FOXYCaymanS
_
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman S / Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
BMW has agreed to replace all 4 tires at no charge. They have also offered to buff the rear bumper to see if that helps. If it does not they suggested they might repaint the entire car.....
That's nice of them (even though they should do it). When my friend order his cooper they dented the passenger door and re-painted it before giving it to him. He automatically noticed and they refused to repaint it or admit something was wrong until finally a manager came over and agreed it was a different color.

Stories like that just get me

Glad you are getting better service!
Appreciate 0