BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Comfort Access Question: Can you leave car running and lock the doors?

Is it possible to leave your car running and lock the doors from the outside?

I was hoping that with Comfort Access I could park my car at the shops, leave the car running, take my keys with me, lock the door from the outside and come back within a few minutes. I hate turning the car off especially if I'm only gone for a few minutes to go inside the shops briefly. However, I don't like to leave the car running while unattended with the keys in the ignition and unlocked though.

Is it possible to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Turn the car off. It is not legal in most jurisdictions to leave your car running while unattended. It can be stolen. It could slip into gear and kill someone. It uses extra fuel, and causes unnecessary greenhuse gas emissions. Overall, not your best effort. D-
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Okay for sure.

Let's just say I wanted to leave the car parked in my garage with the engine running with the doors locked...:smile:

Is this possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Why do you hate turning the car off? That's weird. It is a totally easy car to start, the button is comfy and easy to push.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I don't like turning off the car if I'm only gone for a few minutes... especially in winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
chef_geek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Yes it is possible but you won't be able to restart it without the key again. So, for instance, you could turn the car on, let your wife drive the car away and when she turned it off, she'd be stranded. I believe there is a warning that comes up on the dash when the key is beyond the proximity range. If you have a 1 already, try it out, if not go to the dealership. I had them trying out some stuff too, like can you lock the keys in the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I don't like turning off the car if I'm only gone for a few minutes... especially in winter.
Try pressing the Residual Heat button in the climate control knob, is will keep your car warm inside by blowing the warm air from the engine into the passenger compartment for up to 15 minutes.

There is no logical reason to keep your car locked and running while you bounce into the shop for a loaf of bread and a litre of milk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Also alot of my trips are within 3-4km and I have to stop in at several places. This is the main reason why.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

I just tried it to confirm, and yes it works no problem. When you shut the door and you are outside of the car, the key with a slash through it appears on the console, but other than that no problem.

It works fine both using the fob, or by pressing the ridges on the handle. If you haven't played with CA you may find it very cool, you won't even need to use the fob, leave it in your pocket, hit the ridges on the top of the handle to lock, and just grasp the handle well to unlock.
      09-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrons1969 View Post
I just tried it to confirm, and yes it works no problem. When you shut the door and you are outside of the car, the key with a slash through it appears on the console, but other than that no problem.

It works fine both using the fob, or by pressing the ridges on the handle. If you haven't played with CA you may find it very cool, you won't even need to use the fob, leave it in your pocket, hit the ridges on the top of the handle to lock, and just grasp the handle well to unlock.
Thanks for your help mate.

I can't wait to get my car and use CA!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Man you guys are rough...

I do this all the time in the summer when I stop at a quickemart after getting into a hot car. I just get out of the car with it running and the a/c maxed out and touch the door handle to lock it. I'm in the store for 3-4 minutes max but it makes a difference more than you would think as it gives the seatback a chance to cool off (I have black leather). When I'm sitting in the seat, the 150 degree plus seat never cools off and I just sweat into it.

The ten cents of gas or whatever is more than worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_geek View Post
Yes it is possible but you won't be able to restart it without the key again. So, for instance, you could turn the car on, let your wife drive the car away and when she turned it off, she'd be stranded. I believe there is a warning that comes up on the dash when the key is beyond the proximity range. If you have a 1 already, try it out, if not go to the dealership. I had them trying out some stuff too, like can you lock the keys in the car?
Not quite true.

If the key leaves the car and the engine is running a warning appears on the dashboard. If the engine is turned off it can be restarted after a set period of time (I *think* it is 5 minutes from memory - don't have my manual handy but it is in the manual...). After that, you will need the key to start the car.

You can also lock the keys in the car with CA - open any non-driver door (with the driver's door closed), lock the car and then toss your key in and shut the door - you now have locked the key inside

If the key is accidentally locked in the boot (trunk) then it 'knows' and will flash the hazard lights and pop the boot open a little. This sometimes works if the key is on the back seat as the boot sensor detects it but don't rely on that!!

Oh, and yes to the OP's question, although it has been answered already.

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0