BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

JB4 G5 - 30FF Possible Boost Leak Error

Hi All,

I've been running a JB4 G5 for a couple of weeks now... The car is stock otherwise.

It's been performing just fine on Map 1 which is the recommended map for stock cars.

I switched back to Map 4 the other day (which is the closest thing to stock tune on the G5) as I was commuting in Sydney's lovely traffic on Friday afternoon.

As I went to WOT on 2nd gear, I got the old 30FF error (underboost - possible boost leak) and the half engine power light came on. I switched off the engine, cleared the code, tried again and got the same result.

The funny thing is, I have no such problems on Map 1 which targets even more boost.

And so I am left scratching my head a little.

Another thing to note is that there is no noticeable drop in power once the CEL appears. Not that I keep pushing hard once it comes up. But it's not like the engine goes to zero boost or anything.

Have any of you JB4 owners out there seen this before?

The N54tech forum is littered with threads about the 30FF code but I can't find anything similar to my issue. Most people get this code as they go for more boost. Not less!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Your problem was that you switched to map 4. Just leave it on map 1 even if your stuck in standstill traffic for 16854549827 hours. No need to use map 4 if all is ok with map 1. Your not gonna save on fuel or damage anything by just leaving it in map 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

The car idles smoother on Map 4.

And... I can't help tinkering.
Appreciate 0