BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to add some notes for others' future reference.

I followed a very similar process to the one tjm129 describes (thanks!) with a few situational modifications:

Background Notes
  • My interior is Taupe -- Black interiors/headliners are far more common, of course, so most of the threads I see about this topic involve black interiors
  • I did this in a shaded outdoor area in about 72 degree weather and a slight breeze, so the denatured alcohol had a tendency to quickly evaporate (more on this in a bit)

First Visor
  • For the first visor, I basically followed tjm129's procedure -- paper towel cut to size and folded in half, soaked in denatured alcohol, resting on the sticker with some weight (I used a brick) for 10 minutes
  • At the end of 10 minutes, I went to pull away the paper towel. It had dried completely and it kind of fused with the sticker. When I peeled it off, it pulled away the top layer of the sticker in most areas (a thin, clear layer), but the painted sticker remained.
  • I was able to peel/pick away some of the sticker using my nails, but that became tedious, especially as it dried out quickly and regained it's adhesion. I tried some Goof Off which helped a bit, but it also seemed to smear the sticker around and force it into the grain of the leatherette.
  • I found that re-wetting the sticker with denatured alcohol, though it continued to evaporate rapidly, worked better than Goof Off and it seemed to remove the sticker residue more than spread it around. I did this a few times until I was satisfied with the result.
  • After a lot of work, a faint shadow of the sticker remained, but it's only visible in direct light (which is uncommon given that the sticker side of the visor faces down under most conditions). Also, I think any shadow would be slightly more noticeable on Taupe than it would be on black.
  • I was satisfied with the result and I didn't want to try anything that would damage the vinyl, so I wiped the visor down twice with a wet cloth and remounted it.
  • In position, the faint shadow is virtually invisible -- more than good enough!

Second Visor
  • Based on what I learned, I tried a modified approach for the second visor that was more successful and much quicker
  • Once again, I used the soaked paper towel, but when I applied it to the sticker, I kneaded it on all areas of the sticker with my fingers/knuckles to make sure the denatured alcohol seeped in deeply, then I applied the brick.
  • Since I knew the paper towel would dry out quickly and I didn't want sticker/paper towel fusion, I checked things after 5 minutes. The sticker was still moist and 2/3 of it peeled in one shot (minus the trace edges).
  • The rest dried out before I could get to it, so I doubled over the paper towel again, soaked it again for 5 minutes, and it peeled away easily.
  • From there, only some edging was still visible, along with the overall faint shadow as described above (again, not very visible), so I just used a clean rag soaked in denatured alcohol and worked the edges. Everything came off more quickly and cleanly using only denatured alcohol and no Goof Off.
  • Remounted and happy!

So, my best advice is to use the denatured alcohol liberally and keep the area soaked as well as you can for best results. I didn't find Goof Off to be terribly useful. Maybe I would have had better results getting the faint shadow off if I tried Griot's adhesive remover like tjm129, but my local hardware superstore didn't stock it and I wanted to get this done yesterday while I had time. Then again, it may be more difficult to get rid of the shadow entirely on a Taupe interior.

I'm fairly picky and the results look great to me! I know this thread should be full of pics, so I'll try to grab some after pics. I'm just happy that the stickers are gone as I could see them in my peripheral vision before and they really bugged me.

Edit: I just realized this thread is in the 1M forums, so black interiors are obviously the norm, but hopefully others (1M and otherwise) will still find this thread using search as I did
Appreciate 0