BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
lungmulia
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI Ti Ag

Ipod cable interface

Hi guys,

I believe this topic been discussed before.
My apologies, if I ask you guys again about my problem.

just Got the "Y" cable connector from ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Tried it and it didn't work.
I already follow the instruction to connect the cable first when your switch off, etc....etc. But still can't connect the Ipod to car.
It's said that AUX front (thicked), but not USB.

Wondering if I need to reset the computer or doing some setting in my ipod (touch, 4th gen).

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Jude Starr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d hatch & X1 23D

Is it a genuine BMW part? Apparently some of the ones on ebay are not...genuine ones have a chip in them that allows the communication interface between the ipod and the car. I have been told some of the cheaper ones on ebay (from Hong Kong and China etc) don't have the chip.

I got mine on ebay but from a BMW dealer in UK so it is a genuine part...even with shipping was about half the price of buying one here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
lungmulia
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Starr View Post
Is it a genuine BMW part? Apparently some of the ones on ebay are not...genuine ones have a chip in them that allows the communication interface between the ipod and the car. I have been told some of the cheaper ones on ebay (from Hong Kong and China etc) don't have the chip.

I got mine on ebay but from a BMW dealer in UK so it is a genuine part...even with shipping was about half the price of buying one here.
Thanks Jude,

This one is coming from USA.
And he claimed in his ebay page, it will work.
I've sent the email to him and waiting his advice.

Is there any chance to let me knwo the BMW dealer in UK. and how much?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I had this exact same problem until I bought a genuine one from a dealer on eBay. This is the UK dealer I got mine from. I think it was around $75.

Unfortunately, it looks like he doesn't have any for sale at the moment.

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/scotthallwatfordbmw
      04-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
lungmulia
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
I had this exact same problem until I bought a genuine one from a dealer on eBay. This is the UK dealer I got mine from. I think it was around $75.

Unfortunately, it looks like he doesn't have any for sale at the moment.

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/scotthallwatfordbmw
Thanks Mate.....

Sorry, actually I put in wrong forum though.
My car is 320i MY10.

Will resubmit this question to E90post/forum.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I copped it sweet and purchased from Trivett. It's slower than iPod/USB with and iPhone/Y cable, but really works well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
130iWanted
Captain Slow
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive20D

I was wondering if I could use the Y-Cable on my 06 130i that doesn't have the USB input? It has an Aux and a Charger outlet right next to each other that I'm currently using with a Car charger to USB adapter. Just want to have the one cable not two!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Jude Starr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d hatch & X1 23D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungmulia View Post
Thanks Jude,

This one is coming from USA.
And he claimed in his ebay page, it will work.
I've sent the email to him and waiting his advice.

Is there any chance to let me knwo the BMW dealer in UK. and how much?

Cheers.
The dealer I got mine from is Brighton (UK). It doesn;t look like that particular deal has any on ebay at the moment, but there is this place that looks kosher: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GENUINE-BMW-M...item2a0f8974c5
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I have an ebay Y cable, and in general it works fine (for the last year), but sometimes we get the ipod freezing and to fix you need to plug/unplug the USB cable. That will bring it back, but it might freeze up again. We've had to restore the ipod occassionaly as well as it locks up. I'm convinced it's not the cable but idrive/ipod issues. The lock ups etc are somewhat random and not related to driving/stopping or similar so it's not a mechanical issue.

Is the fully integrated ipod system (under the dash etc) worth the money and actually reliable?

The whole thing is frustrating as the ipod integration in our people mover with an Eclipse is 100% reliable!

Thanks

CL
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I have an ebay Y cable, and in general it works fine (for the last year), but sometimes we get the ipod freezing and to fix you need to plug/unplug the USB cable. That will bring it back, but it might freeze up again. We've had to restore the ipod occassionaly as well as it locks up. I'm convinced it's not the cable but idrive/ipod issues. The lock ups etc are somewhat random and not related to driving/stopping or similar so it's not a mechanical issue.

Is the fully integrated ipod system (under the dash etc) worth the money and actually reliable?

The whole thing is frustrating as the ipod integration in our people mover with an Eclipse is 100% reliable!

Thanks

CL
That's exactly the symptoms experienced (in my experience) with a non-genuine cable. If you get a genuine BMW cable that problem will disappear.
      11-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
That's exactly the symptoms experienced (in my experience) with a non-genuine cable. If you get a genuine BMW cable that problem will disappear.
Thanks. I'll stump up the cash then!

Cheers

Byron
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
graphite87
Australia
Rep
Drives: E87 130i, F25 LCI X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iWanted View Post
I was wondering if I could use the Y-Cable on my 06 130i that doesn't have the USB input? It has an Aux and a Charger outlet right next to each other that I'm currently using with a Car charger to USB adapter. Just want to have the one cable not two!
I have a pre-LCI 130i with the same set up as yours - Aux + 12v charger. The best solution I have found so far is the Kensington LiquidAux (which had a different name at the time, same product though). Works ok, and you only need to connect the dock cable to the phone. At the charger end it breaks the dock cable out to power and audio, the audio cable is probably no longer than 15cm, which is ample to reach the aux in. There's also a 3.5-3.5mm audio extension in the box if for some reason you want to use the lighter socket instead for power. I don't use the remote, just use the iPhone/iPod directly instead.

If you have the phone paired to BT, it still works the same as the AUX with incoming/outgoing call - i.e. it mutes AUX for the duration of the call, but doesn't pause the device. I've used it with iPhone 3G/GS/4 and iPod nano/classic.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

In my case, I've got a genuine cable and it occasionally still doesn't see the iPod (metallic Classic 80GB) and I have to yank it out or failing that, restarting the iPod or restoring it.
Appreciate 0