BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #23
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

I test drove the IS250 awhile back. It felt pretty numb, like I was driving a buick. I have much more fun in my 325. I did like th nav system though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #24
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
Lexus are the best at making cheap look expensive.

I'm not impressed at all. The fit and finish still isn’t as good as the German cars, not even close IMO.
It amazes me that someone can sit in a Lexus and find fit and finish lacking. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #25
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
The Lexus IS250 has much better electronics, NAV, Sound system (Mark Levinson).

Who likes iDrive and/or the BMW Nav? I never have.
      07-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Spoonie
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
It amazes me that someone can sit in a Lexus and find fit and finish lacking. :iono:
I feel the same way about folks who consider it to be top notch. :iono:

It all depends on which Lexus you are sitting in. The LS460 interior is top-notch. The IS is another story.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
The Lexus IS250 has much better electronics, NAV, Sound system (Mark Levinson).

Who likes iDrive and/or the BMW Nav? I never have.

There's more to a car than electronics, NAV, and a Sound system. What is it like to drive? That's were Lexsucks falls short.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
There's more to a car than electronics, NAV, and a Sound system. What is it like to drive? That's were Lexsucks falls short.
Although Lexus makes some nice cars, it's hard to call them driver's cars. Toyota keeps trying, but despite deep pockets they are still missing the mark IMHO. Acura and Infiniti are closer, but BMW still leads the pack when it comes to driving dynamics.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #29
mav
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Although Lexus makes some nice cars, it's hard to call them driver's cars. Toyota keeps trying, but despite deep pockets they are still missing the mark IMHO. Acura and Infiniti are closer, but BMW still leads the pack when it comes to driving dynamics.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to getting back into a BMW again. Lexus just isn't for me.
      07-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #30
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav View Post
Agreed. I'm looking forward to getting back into a BMW again. Lexus just isn't for me.
I have a lot of respect for you Mav. Your one of the first IS owners that can actually admit that. I mean I'm sure your not being punished everytime u hop in the seat, but u obviously know its not what you were looking for.
      07-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #31
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
I feel the same way about folks who consider it to be top notch. :iono:

It all depends on which Lexus you are sitting in. The LS460 interior is top-notch. The IS is another story.
I diagree. While I don't like the interior layout of the IS, I think the overall quality of material and fit and finish was definetely a cut above that of E90. I was never impressed by the stark, cold, large grain hard plastic interior of E90.

Sure it has a very different design language from that of an Accord, since it's not a Japanese car. And this for some people seems to automatically mean premium. I don't have this point of view. To me Audi's have very nice interior. BMW's don't. But to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
I diagree. While I don't like the interior layout of the IS, I think the overall quality of material and fit and finish was definetely a cut above that of E90. I was never impressed by the stark, cold, large grain hard plastic interior of E90.

Sure it has a very different design language from that of an Accord, since it's not a Japanese car. And this for some people seems to automatically mean premium. I don't have this point of view. To me Audi's have very nice interior. BMW's don't. But to each his own I guess.
I am in 100% agreement with Spin on this one!
      07-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #33
Spoonie
Private
Rep

Quote:

I never said that BMWs had nice interiors. I hate the current BMW interiors. But I could live with the E90 W/NAV interior.

I agree with you about the Audi interiors, but as far as the Lexus IS interior quality is concerned:

1. The leather that's used on the Lexus IS's seats are about as thin as a sheet of paper.
2. The radio is the same unit found on the Camry (It's just painted dark)
3. The window and door lock switches are also the same as the camry.
4. The digital clock is the same LED type that you can find in the dollar stores, complete with the two-little buttons on the side to set it. it looks really cheap.

Other dislikes about the IS's interior:

1. There isn't any type of trim to break up the vast plastic-ness.
2. The dash area in front of the passenger seat (above the glove-box) is the largest area of unused flat plastic that I've seen this side of a 350z.
3. The center console where the radio is located isn't anything special.

What I do like about the IS's interior"

1. The gauges
2. The Door Panel Design.

Given the choice between the E90 W/nav interior, and the Lexus IS's interior, I'd choose the BMW. I'm just not that impressed with the Lexus IS's interior, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #34
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I can't comment on the driving experience since I have never driven one, but I can say the car looks sharp when on the road. That being said I would still choose a 335 over the IS since I couldn't get an IS in coupe form.