BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Christine gets humped!?

So another forum member and I were out in the Homebush area.

Went for a bit of a spin around the Lidcombe area.

There's a set of minor bumps on each side of the road. In my stupidity i decided to miss the bumps by driving in the centre of the road. Nobody was around, and as i approach the 3rd AND LAST set of bumps I proceeded to give some throttle, knowing i could drive through the middle and not have to go over the bumps.

Little did i know that there is a centre divider (unmarked) in the middle sticking a solid 4 inches up from the road. I proceeded to drive over it as I had around 0.04 seconds to react and slow the car down. Regardless, i would have gone over it anyway. I got a good "THUMP" underneath the car and pulled over right away.

Our other honourable forum member report seeing sparks fly out the back of my car when I 'launched' over the divider. We inspected the car and no damage could be seen to the front bar at all. As i pulled away to check in his headlights, i heard a nice grinding sound from the underneath/left side. We pulled over again and on further inspection noticed that my undertray right underneath the centre console was unhooked and sticking down about 1.5 inches. Awesome.

But, driving away again i noticed the grinding sound, but only when starting from 0. It disappears over 10km/h.

Then, at WOT and shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the car 'sticks' into 2nd again, then jumps back to 3rd. I believe i may have done some sort of penetrational damage to the gear box. Woot. But it's only 2nd to 3rd (funnily enough, i was most probably in 2nd when the impact happened).

It only happens at WOT and only from 2nd to 3rd. So off to my mechanic I go for an inspection....

Christine got humped by a concrete slab.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Ahhhh. Shit Alex. When you text me last night I didn't realize the damage was that bad. Can't even imagine to think what you might have done to your auto box. Hopefully it's a simple fix like a damaged solenoid or vacuum hose. That's assuming the BMW slush box has those exposed underneath.

I did the same thing about 12 months ago hitting an unmarked speed hump in a suburban street and bottoming out the front end. I was lucky enough to stop ( if you can call it lucky) as I hit the hump and only caused damage to the underneath of the front bumper assembly. Which I have since had resprayed.
Good luck with the inspection today and hope it isn't going to be to $$$$ to rectify.

Last edited by Zuzu; 06-24-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
man that really really sucks do you still have the noise if you set off in first? (since our auto boxes set off in second)

if you were in a manual i'd say just don't touch second gear until its fixed, if only to prevent further damage.

makes my little prang absolutely pale in comparison - especially given that 80% of the damage washed off in the rain lol

edit: my guess after reading your post again: torque converter is b0rked
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Bugger, maybe covered by your insurance.

If you have tranny issues BMW Sydney uses a place called ATA in Waterloo / Alexandria. Joe is the owner and a really nice guy too boot.

Best of luck.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Bloody hell you're having a bad run of luck Alex . I think I know the road you're talking about ... East St beside Rookwood Cemetary and UoS campus? My mate lives on Norman May Dr which runs off to the west from that road so I have negotiated those speed humps many times. They're bloody annoying things.
      06-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Bloody hell you're having a bad run of luck Alex . I think I know the road you're talking about ... East St beside Rookwood Cemetary and UoS campus? My mate lives on Norman May Dr which runs off to the west from that road so I have negotiated those speed humps many times. They're bloody annoying things.
That's the one - the last set as you pass the TAFE before getting to UoS.

Couldn't believe it. At the moment I can only see the undertray down, there's no fluid leaking (thank god), and no warning codes (yet).

I'm going to book her in for Monday for an inspection as i don't need the car until then. Eeeeeeek.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Shit Alex, must have been a hell of a thud. Sorry to hear your run of bad luck has continued and hope it not too serious. Did you run over a black cat or something?
      06-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Shit Alex, must have been a hell of a thud. Sorry to hear your run of bad luck has continued and hope it not too serious. Did you run over a black cat or something?
I think I must've. About to call my mechanic and get an early diagnosis, but as Jono said, i think it could be torque converter.. I originally thought my front bar must have been borked, but there's absolutely no panel damage except the undertray that's come away a little bit. I was amazed when i got out of the car and proceeded to do the "walk to the front bar to inspect just how much i fucked it", and no damage. The only visible sign of damage is the undertray sticking down very slightly.

Gahhhh!

Last edited by Taymaishu; 06-24-2010 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Speaking of front bar damage, this is why it's not a good idea to drive the Southern Highlands at dawn/dusk. Thankfully, the damage was only cosmetic ... on the MINI.

06-25-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Bloody lucky Bryan how long were you on 2 wheels for!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

ARGHH as I read through your recount Alex all I could do was cringe the whole time.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't require a new tranny.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Christine got humped by a concrete slab.
Or you made Christine hump concrete??

There are purpose built places for the sort of driving you are describing that are a lot safer and they aren't called public roads
      06-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post

There are purpose built places for the sort of driving you are describing that are a lot safer and they aren't called public roads
What sort of driving am i describing, then?

Just because i decided to pass between two speed bumps you assume X? It's quite a common procedure to avoid speed bumps if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Sorry to hear this Alex, sounds like the world has declared war on the 1ers!

Hope it's something minor and gets sorted quickly and cheaply.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Sorry to hear this Alex, sounds like the world has declared war on the 1ers!

Hope it's something minor and gets sorted quickly and cheaply.
If it's going to cost over $800, i'll just pop it on insurance. I don't think it's something huge as there's no warning lights and the car does run.

Just don't want to push it
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #16
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What sort of driving am i describing, then?

Just because i decided to pass between two speed bumps you assume X? It's quite a common procedure to avoid speed bumps if possible.
You said
bit of a spin
driving in the centre of the road.
Nobody was around.....I proceeded to give some throttle
I had around 0.04 seconds to react and slow the car down
when I 'launched' over the divider
at WOT and shifting from 2nd to 3rd

At least two of those descriptions are illegal actions on Australian public roads, with the others very much giving the indication of aggressive driving. If driving at appropriate speeds for the conditions, I'm confident you would have seen the concrete raised section in place to stop drivers not slowing down who try to avoid the bumps.

I hate speed bumps as much as anyone, but they are generally installed to slow vehicles down for one of two reasons: increase travel time of those using a "rat run"; or to make the road safer when it has become a trouble spot for hoons. I fully support the latter.

Without knowing the road, but by the comments above and of others I'd say in this case: RTA 1 : Taymaishu 0

Join the NSW BMW Car Club and get yourself on a track. And if you are worried about the damage there, the stakes on public roads are that much higher!
      06-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

^ Wot he said +1
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #18
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
You said
bit of a spin
driving in the centre of the road.
Nobody was around.....I proceeded to give some throttle
I had around 0.04 seconds to react and slow the car down
when I 'launched' over the divider
at WOT and shifting from 2nd to 3rd

At least two of those descriptions are illegal actions on Australian public roads, with the others very much giving the indication of aggressive driving. If driving at appropriate speeds for the conditions, I'm confident you would have seen the concrete raised section in place to stop drivers not slowing down who try to avoid the bumps.

I hate speed bumps as much as anyone, but they are generally installed to slow vehicles down for one of two reasons: increase travel time of those using a "rat run"; or to make the road safer when it has become a trouble spot for hoons. I fully support the latter.

Without knowing the road, but by the comments above and of others I'd say in this case: RTA 1 : Taymaishu 0

Join the NSW BMW Car Club and get yourself on a track. And if you are worried about the damage there, the stakes on public roads are that much higher!
So you're saying that regardless of the centre lane markings (who the hell said the centre markings were double white?) it's illegal?

Don't come on here and accuse people of breaking road rules when you have NO idea of the incident, and have clearly jumped to negative conclusions.

To rebutt your comments (don't know why i'm even bothering):

1. "Going for a spin" - how is that connected to hoons or aggressive driving? A spin is simply Australian slang for a drive.
2. To give some throttle in 2nd gear - You do realise that the gear ratios in the 125 allow you to access 2nd gear from 0km/h? So what proof do you have i was breaking any kind of speed limit?
3. "Launched" - purely for comedy value. Had i have literally 'launched', i think there'd be a hell of a LOT more damage than just clipping the undertray. On top of that, your indirect accusations that i was speeding are compeltely defunct. Had i have been speeding, there would as well have been just a fair bit more damage to my vehicle.
4. You accusation of me speeding, and if i was not i would have seen the centre divider... You have NO idea that the colour of the divider matched that of the road. There were pole holes in the divider clearly where the "keep left" signs are meant to be. I'm sure somebody (obviously) as well driven as you would know that spotting something the same colour as the road at night can be quite difficult.

Get off your high horse and stop jumping to conclusions.

By the way, what other comments are you referring to? I think you're just upset today and have decided to rage a little on an internet forum, and found me as a target. Nobody else here has come even close to your completely inaccurate and trolling post, so you're on your own (apart from Bangle who carries a reputation anyway )

And if you're going to sit there and say you've never gone WOT in your car on a public road for ANY amount of time, then you're a liar. If you have then you're a self-righteous hypocrite.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

Whoa bit touchy.

You might be jumping to conclusions of your own. That said even you admit the conditions weren't ideal, so your speed should reflect that. It didn't (not suggesting you exceeded the limit during the incident) so you've ended up with some damage and posted here I assume looking for sympathy. I am somewhat surprised by the voices of support, but no need to flame a near sole voice not providing the sympathy you obviously very much seek.

Finally my real intent was to recommend you find an safe outlet as a frequent number of your posts are about driving described in ways that indicate spirited/aggressive driving.
      06-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Alex calm down mate. The centre lines ARE solid on that road so you shouldn't have crossed them. The speed humps ARE there to slow down traffic (high pedestrian activity during weekdays, very straight road), and you're not meant to avoid them. You've made a silly mistake and are paying for it now. I can understand you're angry about that, and having salt rubbed in the wounds doesn't help. Just put this down as a learning experience and perhaps take Aussieracers advice to hit the track someday. You'll love it.
      06-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
BMWnewby3
Rep
Drives: BMW 123D

AussieRacer - if Tay said "In my stupidity", then he's paying for it and Tay knows that. No need to be sarcastic about it by saying "RTA 1, Tay 0"

Cheers guys and have a good Sunday!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
So you're saying that regardless of the centre lane markings (who the hell said the centre markings were double white?) it's illegal?

Don't come on here and accuse people of breaking road rules when you have NO idea of the incident, and have clearly jumped to negative conclusions.

To rebutt your comments (don't know why i'm even bothering):

1. "Going for a spin" - how is that connected to hoons or aggressive driving? A spin is simply Australian slang for a drive.
2. To give some throttle in 2nd gear - You do realise that the gear ratios in the 125 allow you to access 2nd gear from 0km/h? So what proof do you have i was breaking any kind of speed limit?
3. "Launched" - purely for comedy value. Had i have literally 'launched', i think there'd be a hell of a LOT more damage than just clipping the undertray. On top of that, your indirect accusations that i was speeding are compeltely defunct. Had i have been speeding, there would as well have been just a fair bit more damage to my vehicle.
4. You accusation of me speeding, and if i was not i would have seen the centre divider... You have NO idea that the colour of the divider matched that of the road. There were pole holes in the divider clearly where the "keep left" signs are meant to be. I'm sure somebody (obviously) as well driven as you would know that spotting something the same colour as the road at night can be quite difficult.

Get off your high horse and stop jumping to conclusions.

By the way, what other comments are you referring to? I think you're just upset today and have decided to rage a little on an internet forum, and found me as a target. Nobody else here has come even close to your completely inaccurate and trolling post, so you're on your own (apart from Bangle who carries a reputation anyway )

And if you're going to sit there and say you've never gone WOT in your car on a public road for ANY amount of time, then you're a liar. If you have then you're a self-righteous hypocrite.
Blimey
Appreciate 0