BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I gave my dealer a call today, seeing that my car falls within the dateline parrameters and I havent been notified to date.

Was informed that its not so much a "recall" but a "Campaign"......Whatever..

So booked the car in for a Oil/filter service next week and the "Campaign" upgrades( taillight seals and HPFP software upgrade )
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #24
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
So booked the car in for a Oil/filter service next week and the "Campaign" upgrades( taillight seals and HPFP software upgrade )
I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed a drop in performance (or has dyno charts proving it) after having the HPFP software amendment. Anyone?
      08-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed a drop in performance (or has dyno charts proving it) after having the HPFP software amendment. Anyone?
Interestingly enough, my ECU was upgraded with the latest N52 software and i swear it is a hell of a lot more responsive in the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #26
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
My 'bum-dyno' seems to indicate the acceleration is definitely not as savage anymore. Performance might be still the same though since the update might have made power deliver smoother, but less fun.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Gtr,135i,M235i,XR6 turbo

Got me a little worried when there was talk of a decrease in power after the update because i did not know they were doing that in conjuction with the lights repair,but when i saw this thread about the humming i knew they had done one,but i dont feel any change in power delivery....thank god
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #28
xclandestine35i
Rep
Drives: 135i

got the call pretty randomly, 2 days ago, replaced both rear lights and HPFP
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
xclandestine35i
Rep

Also, power delivery isnt as urgent as it once was since the upgrade. I miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #30
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

I have a May 08 135I, but I am second owner. Should I contact BMW to get this "recall" done or is it not a full recall so my car may not need to be done?

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #31
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
I have a May 08 135I, but I am second owner. Should I contact BMW to get this "recall" done or is it not a full recall so my car may not need to be done?

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian,

Because it's not a recall, they won't contact you.

Usually during recalls the car manufacturer contacts the state registry (like the RTA) and gathers all details for current registered models under recall and their owners.

They then send written notification out to the owners, and if no response they send a second letter via registered post.

Since BMW have hidden this away without calling it a 'recall', you can expect none of that to happen.

My assumption is that the dealerships are replacing the tail-lights the next time the car comes in at any dealership, or if owner brings it in to report the problem.

Cheers,

Alex
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #32
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian..Exactly what Alex has mentioned...My car is a May 08 aswell... I contacted the dealer only to be told that it is not a recall but merely a "Campaign"..

Once your car goes back for the next sched service or repair, the lights/HPFP will be upgraded..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #33
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Had my car booked in today to get the HFPF checked out. Whilst I was dropping it off, the service tech said he would replace the rear brake lights as they had a 'campaign' to do them on this car.

No problems getting the HFPF replaced, although they had none in stock (awaiting 50 of them from Germany) they managed to get one sent from another dealer and will pick car up tomorrow. No problems as they gave me a 320d loaner :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
The acceleration is no longer as urgent, but it's smoother. I would say there's less lag and it is more responsive to the throttle. I just hold it longer on first before changing to 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Had my car booked in today to get the HFPF checked out. Whilst I was dropping it off, the service tech said he would replace the rear brake lights as they had a 'campaign' to do them on this car.

No problems getting the HFPF replaced, although they had none in stock (awaiting 50 of them from Germany) they managed to get one sent from another dealer and will pick car up tomorrow. No problems as they gave me a 320d loaner :-)
Any issues with your little bit of extra? Did you take it out?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Sansnoetic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
m  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclandestine35i View Post
Also, power delivery isnt as urgent as it once was since the upgrade. I miss it.
I agree!!! I got my software upgrade last week and I'm noticing a difference...at least in the lower RPM range...
      08-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Sparoz, was removed but left intake in.

I can't say I have noticed much difference due to the additions I have/had but the service guy said that people are saying there is a difference but a positive one. Another thing which I thought was interesting, is that he admitted that there was a problem with the HPFP's and that a lot were getting replaced...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #37
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I think it is not if but when. I am consistently getting long cranks now but I don't think they will do anything until it fails. Funny they said they couldn't see any codes even the engine light was on. However, it only happened once.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #38
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Am I the only 135 in Melbourne that has no HFP problems? I still have a clean code and I don't baby it one bit. Once the oil temp start moving I fang it hard to 60kmh.

I will miss the punch off the line if the new flash is going to take that away from me... Then I will need the 1///M
      08-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #39
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

I have a mid 08 135I and it is still running original HPFP (30,000kms), and goes great. Not sure why some car have more issues than others.

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #40
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Had my first scheduled service last week and they did the "rear lights campaign" thing. Apparently it was only a replacement of the seal, not the full light cluster. I've also got it booked in for this week to get the software update to fix the long crank.

Funny thing is that the long cranks only started for me after I began using the car for the daily commute. Never had a problem when I was saving it for weekend fangs.
      08-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #41
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
I have a mid 08 135I and it is still running original HPFP (30,000kms), and goes great. Not sure why some car have more issues than others.

Adrian
Mine was built in August 2008, I just ticked over 24,000 on the Odo on Saturday and I've been ok too. It gets worked out properly too, not babied around.

I know it's human nature to overweight bad news, but I still when I read about people saying their concerned about buying a 35 as a result of this issue given the vocal nature of the people that have the problem. I'm not denying the problem, I'm just saying not all of us have it.

I'm still likely to purchase the extra warranty though when my original one runs out in November next year...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #42
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Had my first scheduled service last week and they did the "rear lights campaign" thing. Apparently it was only a replacement of the seal, not the full light cluster. I've also got it booked in for this week to get the software update to fix the long crank.

Funny thing is that the long cranks only started for me after I began using the car for the daily commute. Never had a problem when I was saving it for weekend fangs.
They'll do the full light clusters only if one or both have failed. Otherwise, they simply replace the faulty seals that are the cause of the LED failures.

Be wary that the software update seems like just a 'bandaid' solution to the HPFP problem...you'll hear the car 'priming' the pump quite loudly when you unlock the doors. This will essentially eliminate any long cranks since the system has already pumped fuel for a full 5 second period before you even insert the keyfob.

Seems that our cars really don't like being driven around daily traffic. Fanging it everywhere may be the solution

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #43
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yeh I am July 08 i think and had since new. No HPFP problems as yet and I would say my car is driven fairly hard - Like taka said - 0-60/80 at wot fairly regularly.
      08-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #44
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Cant say i have noticed much of a difference power wise after software updating. The only things I've noticed are 2 new menus in idrive, one is to do with information on the satellite signals and the other is in the CBS menu where you can set a date to remind you of next service? Can't see the point of this menu though when CBS already tells you when.

Another thing i noticed is that fuel consumption is MUCH improved. From 12s down to low 10s/100km.

Funny thing with my hpfp is that it started to fail a few days after i got new software update which was meant to help!
Appreciate 0