BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

OT: Tyres for Golf R32

Hoping to get some help ....

I have a friend with a Golf R32 (2007) and she's looking for new tyres (225/40 18). I was wondering if anyone had suggestions and comments. I've done some research and have the following list but price aside i'd like to hear comments. She does not drive the car very hard so will be looking for the best durability and wet handling.

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics
- Michelin Pilot Sports PS3
- Pirelli P zero Rosso
- Continental Sport Contact3
- Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
- Hankook S1 Evos

Thanks

Greg
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I had the Hankook S1 Evo's on my WRX.

I was pretty impressed with them in both the wet and dry and they were reasonably priced compared to many other brands.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I agree with Prodigy, I have the S1's on my car now and reckon they are as good as the pzero rosso's i had before that. Great tyre for a great price, a rare combination. Most reviews agree too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Hoping to get some help ....

I have a friend with a Golf R32 (2007) and she's looking for new tyres (225/40 18). I was wondering if anyone had suggestions and comments. I've done some research and have the following list but price aside i'd like to hear comments. She does not drive the car very hard so will be looking for the best durability and wet handling.

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics
- Michelin Pilot Sports PS3
- Pirelli P zero Rosso
- Continental Sport Contact3
- Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
- Hankook S1 Evos

Thanks

Greg
My suggestion would be PS2, Conti2s, PZero Rosso and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric; at least that should be the gang you should pick from.

PS3, and the Conti3s are performance tires that she might not need. That goes with P.Zero (not rosso).

Direzza is a semi slick IIRC and really designed for light track work and dry performance so probably not.

Someone here have Hankooks which they can tell you which I am not familiar with.

I had the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso on my old car and I absolutely love them which to me is better than the Conti2s in terms of road noise, durability, grip and wet performance. PS2 supposed to outperform the Pirellis in the wet, but Michelin's I found are often more expensive than the Pirellis and I couldn't justify that. I don't know much about the Eagle but as I remembered it does very well in the wet in various tests that I read.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

I used to have an African Golf gti - series 5 ('orrible car), and replaced the factory contis with Michelin Pilot Preceda PP2 for $1070 incl front and rear alignment.

Tyres gripped as well, were much quieter and seemed to wear much more slowly. Got them from jax.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

I got the S1 Evo's on my E92 as well. I was impressed to begin with but as km's went up grip started to suffer a lot. The rears are on the wear bars (and inside edges of the rears) are compleltly shot after only 23,000 km. I managed to get 48,000 odd km's out of the stock RE050 runflats though and i was driving it way harder back then.

The S1 Evo has been discontinued i think?

Another tyre i will suggest is the Bridgestone Potenza RE11, i bought these for my 147 GTA and they were excellent
Appreciate 0