BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

Better alternative...installing carbon fiber trunk lip spoiler

Hey guys,

As a bodyshop owner with years of experience working with aftermarket pieces....it was finally time to take off my icarbon trunk lip spoiler that I orginally put on with the double sided tape, to switch it up and install with even better adhesive then betalink because its messy. A guy I know that owns east coast customs...he does outstanding custom body work. I called him because the betalink I ordered from BMW...it came in and right when I was about to apply the betalink I noticed it was as hard as rock....sure enough it was expired! It was from 07' and BMW said it would take a month to get the new glue. So me and Andy at East coast customs, decided to go with 3m windshield bond adhesive....its a thin can shape with a plastic tip white tin container. You use a cholk gun....I finely sanded the surface smooth on the bottom side which contacts the trunk. I applied the 3m in dots all along the spoiler....I even finely sanded the trunk. Like the instructions from BMW say to do. Which I dont think needed to be done. As soon as I applied it to the trunk it was perfect just enough play for you and your helper to line where it needs to be. Then I got square long stirafome...cut in blocks...placed it along the top of the spoiler...and taped down. After that it was clean up time. It was so easy to clean the excess with just a rag and grease and wax remover. One thing though the middle of the spoiler looking from the back where is goes up....your going to need a credit card wrapped in cloth to get along the edge nice. My comment perfect install for thesee applications...and windsheild spoilers. Just thought I would share =). Ill post pics later.

Eric C.
N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Thanks for the tip! But no photos???
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

Here are the pics.......in the pics the car was just washed to clean everything off so if you see anything under the spoiler thats water.*
Attached Images

N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
KcN55
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135

do you prefer the tape or the glue?Any pic of the spoiler with tape? I want to see the difference.. where can we purchase the windshield glue? Looks really good

[Work Meister s1][KW V2][Icarbon rear diffuser][1M style] [BMW perf spoiler][eye lids] [Lux angel eyes][Rpi red scoops][MHD Stage 2][CPE dp][CPE CP][VSRF 7''][Injen intake][matte grills][Alpine speakers][P3 Vent Gauge][Custom Alcatraz steering wheel][ARK Cat-back exhaust]]
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys,

Well when I intalled with the double sided tape it came out ok, but Im a little ocd so sh*t has to fit perfect. Double sided tape if done properly will fit with a Bplus grade. I give this for fitment an Aplus. When the spoiler was intalled with just tape there were some very minor gaps where you could see the tape. especially the "corners"....and I used plastic clamps also. I just think if you want a perfect fit thats not reversable then get the 3m windshield bond adhesive at pep boys. You could also use this for the windshield spoilers. The clean up was so easy, with grease and wax remover it was a breeze. If you want to be able to reverse this get the double sided tape but dont beat yourself up if it doesnt fit Aplus. Thats all Im saying the the adhesive bond of tape compared to this adhesive used to keep windshields in place you cant compare the two. Thats facts. I should post a video, where you can see me pulling down on the spoiler and it doesnt kink or even budge. Thats quality. Bmw's intall guide recommends a bond adhesive remember for a reason, not tape. I was thinking of painting my spoiler but shadow lines on the AW will bother me. I will just be adding more body lines. My opinion, it looks nice either way. So remember cholk gun 1.99 at home depot, 3m windeshield adhesive bond white thin can, cut the tip of the 3m a centimeter from the edge...so the glue comes out through a fine point, a partner, microfiber cloth, plastic speader or credit card to clean up edges, grease and wax remover, apply the glue on the back side of the spoiler in dots, sand the back side of spoiler before glue is applied, sand the trunk if you want you know mask around the spoiler while someone is holding it, thats it cheers.

Thanks, Pm me if you want more detail you could call me Ill explain more.

Eric C.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Do you think this will work better on say a heavier part (ie: the iCarbon front lip spoiler?)
      04-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

Of course,

Bud remember this is used for windeshield's no part is as heavy as that. If I got the icarbon front lip I would take the tape off...and sand in there and use this...becasue those "pita" slight very minor problems people are having with front lips are 100 percent normal its aftermarket you cant expect put on and forget no its put on and remember. Those pieces are designed for perfect fitment without tape thats added...let me see how im going to explain this....tape is a certain thinkness right ?...well you ever noticed dry fitment before you pull the red strip off it always seems to but right up if you push in...I think if there was no tape you would in turn have more depth for push in...and this glue it doesnt take as long as double sided tape to get sticky and just friggin stay where you were just pushing in. It wants to come back out. With this glue and three people for the front lip...pushing in for about five minutes let go and start taping up to the hood all along and clean up your talking a perfect fit. But not reversable. But im ordering the kersher front lip from germany which bolts on to the front on the bottom. Its going to cost like a thousand dollars but whatever.

Eric C.
Appreciate 0