BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
jdemeter7
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3

Rare Xenon Issue

After searching all these BMW forums, I couldn't find a xenon issue that was completely similar to mine so I figure I'd explain my problem and hopefully someone will chime in.

I bought my 09 135 in 2009 and within the 1st month or so, swapped out the stock 4200K(ish) xenons for some 6000K bulb from JSLEVI. Everything was perfect for about a year and half, at which point the passenger xenon bulb started to flicker then just turn off. When I restarted the car, the bulb would turn on but if I flipped the lights off and then back on, the passenger bulb stays out. I figured it might be a bad bulb, so I then purchased some Philips 6000k bulbs from E92lighting...and the same problem persists. The passenger light intermittently just doesn't come on.

Here's the kicker. If I reinstall the factory 4200K bulbs, everything works fine again. So the question is, whats different about the 6000K bulbs? Do they pull more amperage? (I don't think so) Its crazy that 2 different brand bulbs have the same problem on the passenger side but they work fine on the driver side and then the stock bulb will work fine on the passenger side. Anyone have any input? Heard of a similar situation?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

does it still do it with the phillips bulbs even after swapping bulbs from passenger side to driver's side?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
jdemeter7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
does it still do it with the phillips bulbs even after swapping bulbs from passenger side to driver's side?
Yes, the passenger light is still intermittantly staying off in that scenario. This rules out it being a bad bulb. Then I figured the ballast and ignitor are ruled out becaause they work with the 4200K bulb. Then I figured I would ask if the 6000K bulb draws more power somewhere and it might be a fuse issue...but 35 watts is 35 watts
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Well... Xenon headlamps also have some cables inside the light housing. Perhaps this is the problem. Do you have ANY condensation in that passenger headlight?

You also have the Ballast and footwell modules, and ofcourse the hid bulbs. Any of those could be your problem.

These headlight threads scare the piss out of me! $$$$ to fix - cod. I know I won't be messing around with my lights - no matter how temped I may be. Sorry.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
jdemeter7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... Xenon headlamps also have some cables inside the light housing. Perhaps this is the problem. Do you have ANY condensation in that passenger headlight?

You also have the Ballast and footwell modules, and ofcourse the hid bulbs. Any of those could be your problem.

These headlight threads scare the piss out of me! $$$$ to fix - cod. I know I won't be messing around with my lights - no matter how temped I may be. Sorry.

Dackel
I actually do have a thrown code for the footwell module, what does this do? And is there an explanation for the lights working with the 4200K bulbs? We may be getting somewhere here.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemeter7 View Post
I actually do have a thrown code for the footwell module, what does this do? And is there an explanation for the lights working with the 4200K bulbs? We may be getting somewhere here.

Thanks.

I am not 100% sure how the HID system works. I am not expert. I just know that these footwell modules DO go bad. And when they do... it will cause the HID lamp not to fire. I think the footwell module sends the signal for the lamp to fire up. It also has something to do with errors and the turning (curven lights)function of the lights too.

There was a thread awhile back where a member in Ramstein, Germany who was out of warranty replaced his AE bulbs. Then he went to teh car wash - and his passenger side light fogged uo with condensation. He did not have the bulb cover on correctly. Appartently is this easy to not put back on 100% correct. He had water inside of his pass light. It blew his ballast for that side. After switching HID bulbs and still having no light from the pass side. He switched his ballast. He blew up his drivers side ballast. In the end, he needed two new ballast, an one pass headlight.

The member just bought a set of EURO lights off of Ebay.de and two new ballast. He was lucky that the footwell modules were Ok. B/C when you replace them... they need to be coded too. Plus they aren't cheap. 300 euros I think - each.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Put back the 4200k bulbs and bring it in and tell them that it flickers..

hopefully they run the codes and change the module or control unit..

i think it is going to be your only way out..

good luck
      04-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
jdemeter7
Rep

I'm most likely going to end up just leaving the 4200Ks in and try to just reinstall the gpthunder halos without fully removing the headlamp cover. That's the biggest PITA about this, reinstalling that passenger cover...and I've done it 10 times already. I think the stock xenons look pretty good. Anyone wanna buy a set of 6K Phillips?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
jdemeter7
Rep

I should also make the clarification that I do NOT have a code thrown for the footwell module. I was going off memory and thought something popped up in that module but I was wrong. The code that I actually have thrown is a short circuit in the AUC sensor, which I can care less about.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

What is the AUC sensor?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
jdemeter7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What is the AUC sensor?
The AUC sensor detects outdoor air quality and is used in conjunction with the auto ventilation damper
Appreciate 0