BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #45
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

^ Having a bad day, e34? Not sure what this thread is getting at. BMW has put the red display in cars for decades. Some like it, some don't. Chances are it won't change, and every BMW has it. Hard to imagine the color of the dash display being a major factor in determining whether the car is for me.

Also hard to see any BMW as being a "car for the masses". Cars for the masses are Kias, Hyundais, Fords and Toyotas etc. If you can afford a new BMW... any new BMW... there are definitely some things you don't have in common with "the masses"...
      01-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #46
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
^ Having a bad day, e34? Not sure what this thread is getting at. BMW has put the red display in cars for decades. Some like it, some don't. Chances are it won't change, and every BMW has it. Hard to imagine the color of the dash display being a major factor in determining whether the car is for me.

Also hard to see any BMW as being a "car for the masses". Cars for the masses are Kias, Hyundais, Fords and Toyotas etc. If you can afford a new BMW... any new BMW... there are definitely some things you don't have in common with "the masses"...
Isn't that though what the 1 series was supposed to change? Bringing BMW to the masses .... Personally I'd just as soon own a Ford / Chevy / Kia .. pretty much anything .. if it is what I want and I would be happy with it ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #47
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Not to over-nuance the issue, but the 1er will provide a slightly more accessible entry-level option (128i) for aspiring BMW owners and a high-performance variant (135i) in the 2002 tradition, blah, blah, blah, for thrill seekers with an extra $6 grand to spend.

Still a long way to go before Joey the Walmart cashier is buying a Bimmer... Any premium model (1er, Mini, A3, B200 included) is, almost by definition, beyond the reach of the average salary earner (aka "the masses").