BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #67
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Kenny may have different thoughts on this, but you need a goal event as such it might be the Sydney to Surf, a local triathlon or charity event. Something to aim and work towards, you can then simply just apply SMART principles to your training/weight loss program.

There are good calorie calculators as well that take the guess work out which might be of interest to people. I weigh a lot of my food as well when I'm trying to cut down the last kilo or two and track the calories in and out. Here's a spreadsheet that does it all for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #68
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Kenny, your thread is a fine example of altruistism in passing on knowledge gained from experience and it has inspired me to think seriously about how to attack the process of regaining my health. Regaining health will be my prime motivation in the short term.
For me maintaining motivation will be the hardest part. The basics are mostly common sense. I.e. eat properly, exercise and quality rest. So, how to stay motivated? I'm going to approach it from a time frame perspective. I have set a goal for the end of this year to (a) lose the lust handles and man boobs, (b) resting heart rate of 60 which is 6 less than current, ( blood pressure is fine at a current 112 over 64 thanks largely to a very low stress life style ), (c) get my head down to my knees straight legged, (d) swim 2 klms open water. This will be broken down into daily, weekly and monthly goals. Daily stops me from cheating. A monthly or even a weekly goal is too far out as it means I can "borrow" time by building up credit. For eg. "today I can have a few extra beers because I don't have to meet my target till the end of the week". Before I know it I'm borrowing more and more time to the point that I have to reset my goals and then the whole plan goes out the window, I become discouraged and think it's all too hard. Daily goals are also easier to achieve as they are just tiny parts of the whole plan

This may seem rather unambitious to someone at your level Kenny but I want to maintain at least some of the lifestyle I currently enjoy. I don't want to get to a high maintenance level of fitness where I am worried all the time about the consequences of not sticking to a strict program. The fact is I like a coffee and I like a drink. I can however cut my current level in half. At present I only have 1 coffee a day so now it will be 1 coffee every 2 days. Same with drinking, cut back but don't eliminate it. The big thing with me is to work with my own psychology and understand what will work on a long term basis.
I suspect that this is where most attempts at weight loss / fitness fail. I also have a great assistant in motivation with my wife who is very fit. Does gym workouts, yoga, runs and long walks.
Anyway, started today with a 1 hour walk along the beach. Lighter breakfast incl' cup of flat white instead of a mug of latte.
This week I will buy a tri wet-suit. I live on a spring fed fresh water lake that is used by many of the triathletes on the Gold Coast as well as lifesavers and nippers for open water swim training. The only place here where there are no bull sharks. I have an uninterupted 500 metre stretch from the bottom of my yard so I have no excuse to not use it.
Also, less time on the computer. Forums ( fora? ) are fun and constructive but youtube browsing and games are not.

Catchya.
Gazz awesome to hear! I can't take a medal for altruism here because, although I am happy to help others if I can, by putting my thought down here I am achieving things for myself too. I am motivating myself and also creating a higher profile for my own goals to hold myself accountable.

Your goals sound great. Each of us is a different age, health, etc so having your own goals is very important. They do not sound mild to me, I don't think I could swim a 2K ocean swim at the moment.

Please do not get the idea I am a super athlete because I am not. I know some things about nutrition and training but that doesn't make me a great athlete. I'm also turning 45 this year and we all know age doesn't make you any better athletically! I run at about 5-6 minutes per kilometer when I'm fairly fit and that is slow by most runner's standards.

For weight training the Holy Grail is 300/400/500. That is Bench Press 300 lbs, Squat 400 lbs and Deadlift 500 lbs for one rep, assuming you are a well trained 5'9" 190 lb man. Allowing for my bodyweight that means my targets are:

Bench Press: 99kg
Squat: 132 kg
Deadlift: 165 kg

Let's just say I'm not threatening my targets just yet :-)

Regarding alcohol, just understand that your body is an efficient machine. It will use the most effective form of fuel it can at any point in time, and efficiently store all other unrequired fuel s fat as a survival adaptation.
The body uses alcohol as a fuel source preferentially. Next comes glucose (carbs), then fat and then protein. So every drink you have makes your fat loss harder.

Regarding caffeine, understand that testosterone is the hormone that keeps you lean and hard and builds muscle. It burns fat and builds muscle. Testosterone converts to DHT through the enzyme 5 alpha reductase giving the masculine sex traits (hairy, deep voice, etc) and converts to E2 via the enzyme Aromatase. E2 is what we think of as the "female" hormone estradiol. Caffeine promotes conversion to estradiol over DHT. Up to you!

Hormones are a complex topic and most GPs do not have much of an idea. And Endocrinologists are usually hard to find and very conservative. So you're usually on your ow nto do the best research you can and make up your own mind. Here's a good place to look if you want to know more:

Information on hormones.

Overall sounds like you've made your mind up to give it a go and I congratulate you!

If you want the motivation, start your own "Biggest Loser" thread here and post up your weekly progress.
Weight
Bodyfat
Measurement .. can use around your navel
Whatever else you think is relevant

You can even post a weekly or monthly photo.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 04-16-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #69
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Kenny, my current program involves 5 sets per muscle group and each set to failure usiually increasing weights by the next dumbbell up. Usually do triceps & legs, chest, shoulders & biceps, upper & lower back. I have a day of cardio or PT in the between.

Thoughts?
Everyone's genetics are different so there is no one size fits all. USually though there is one simple question that helps.

With all this training, are you any leaner or any bigger?

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #70
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
You can even post a weekly or monthly photo.
Photo Uhuh.

At this stage I am more focused on not copping out. Interesting about coffee though. What about decaf?
You may say that if I can switch to decaf then why not stop completely? But I know that this will not work. Not yet anyway. Maybe once I am achieving other goals.

Also - if your body uses immediate or more efficiently/quickly metabolised fuel first then what happens if you eat hard or slow to digest fuel such as protein. Will body fat be called on as fuel first?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #71
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Everyone's genetics are different so there is no one size fits all. USually though there is one simple question that helps.

With all this training, are you any leaner or any bigger?
It definitely helps and I can feel it's effects on my muscle development, which had plateaued for a while. Getting bigger was never my intention, I've always strived to maintain an athletic look rather than a chunky one! My muscle definition has certainly increased with this regime, leaves me absolutely exhausted at the end.

My main concern is overtraining and doing any harm to my body.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #72
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Photo Uhuh.

At this stage I am more focused on not copping out. Interesting about coffee though. What about decaf?
You may say that if I can switch to decaf then why not stop completely? But I know that this will not work. Not yet anyway. Maybe once I am achieving other goals.

Also - if your body uses immediate or more efficiently/quickly metabolised fuel first then what happens if you eat hard or slow to digest fuel such as protein. Will body fat be called on as fuel first?
I take a monthly photo set of myself to motivate me. One front on, facing away. Then from one side (gut view). Then a headshot and a side profile headshot. With that set you can really see the differences as you lose bodyfat.

If you aren't up to posting a photo online then just print them and stick them on your computer screen or fridge door or whatever, if you think that would motivate you.

I'll post notes on withdrawal from caffeine next up. The effects of caffeine vary from person to person but in general one cup a day probably makes little difference. Interestingly for me, unless I stop drinking tea or coffee I do not get optimal fat loss occurring. I've got no explanation for that other than I know by experience, if I am serious about dropping fat I just cut all tea or coffee out. Obviously while you are drinking tea/coffee the diuretic effect means your body will start to hold on to water in anticipation.

Your body gets energy from protein by the energy pathway called gluconeogenesis. It's the lower priority on the energy chain which is good news, otherwise your body would chew up it's own muscle in preference to burning stored fat.

Don't worry about burning proteins for energy, your body can make use of whatever foods you shove into it and is far smarter than you are. It will convert the protein you eat into amino acids and make use of them accordingly. It uses the carbs to make glycogen for energy and stores the remainder as fats. It also stores the fats you eat as energy and uses some fats to build body tissues as well.

Stick to a well balanced diet which mixes carbs, fats and protein.

Your body's performance is limited by your carbohydrate metabolism. Say if you have a 175 lb athlete with 15% bodyfat. You can say that this person is carrying 12% fat as energy reserve and 3% as essential bodyfat (that acts as insulation and cushioning for vital organs).

That 12% bodyfat is worth 75,000 calories! A massive energy supply (remember fat has 9 calories per gram). You could run say 150 miles on that!

The same athlete will have say 450g of glycogen stored in muscle, liver and bloodstream. That's only worth 1,800 calories (carbs have 4 calories per gram).

Because of the body's cycle of glycogen use with exercise, and because of an obligatory minimum level of glycogen for muscle to function, that's only enough to run say 20 miles.

The limiting source of energy is always glycogen (carbs), never fat.

Despite fat's high caloric content, in muscles fat burns very slowly for energy compared to glycogen.

Primary fuel for exercise is ATP. It's a lot easier for the body to break down muscle glycogen and blood glucose into ATP than to break down fat. Consequently ATP is formed a lot faster from carbs than from fat. The rate of synthesis for carbs is 1.0 mol/min and from fats 0.5 mol/min. So carbs give twice the energy of fats.

During anaerobic exercise which uses only carbs for fuel, energy formation climbs to 2.4 mol/min which is about five times the energy that can be derived from fat.

Carbs are the GO fuel!

The effects of forcing the body to use fats for fuel is well documented. You exercise until your carbs (muscle glycogen, liver glycogen and blood glucose) are at low levels and then your body will switch to burning fat for fuel. Your performance will declined dramatically! But if you want to reduce bodyfat then you're interested in fat burning more than performance.

I can talk about carbohydrate loading for racing in another post if anyone wants to know.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 08-10-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #73
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Notes on caffeine withdrawal

Question: How long can a person forego caffeine before suffering withdrawal?
Answer: Withdrawal symptoms usually begin within 12 to 24 hours after caffeine consumption has ceased, and the symptoms usually peak after 20 to 48 hours. In some cases symptoms can appear within three to six hours. Symptoms may in some cases last one week, and in some cases can last a month or longer.

Question: How can I stop using caffeine without suffering withdrawal?
Answer: Reduce caffeine intake gradually over several days.

Question: What causes caffeine withdrawal symptoms
Answer: Caffeine use causes a wide range of long-lasting adaptive changes in the central nervous system, changes that set the nervous system up for a disturbance when it doesn't get its usual daily dose of caffeine.
Caffeine is an adenosine antagonist, which means caffeine interferes with the normal function of adenosine by occupying and blockading adenosine receptors located on neurons (nerve cells). Adenosine molecules are said to "compete" with caffeine molecules for access to available adenosine receptors.

By blocking adenosine, caffeine allows excitatory neurochemicals, including serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine, to be released in greater quantities by neurons. That is why caffeine is stimulating.
The nervous system adapts to compensate for the presence of caffeine by becoming more sensitive to adenosine and less sensitive to serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine. The nervous system becomes more sensitive to adenosine by increasing the number of adenosine receptors, and becomes less sensitive to serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine by decreasing the number of serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine receptors.

Key point: A migrainer is excessively sensitive to adenosine and excessively INsensitive to excitatory neurotransmitters including serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine. Increased sensitivity to adenosine and DEcreased sensitivity to serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine are exactly the changes caused by exposure to caffeine. Caffeine, in other words, alters the nervous system in just the right way to make a person a migrainer.
When the usual regular dose of caffeine is delayed, the caffeine remaining in the body is metabolized (dismantled and thereby deactivated) by enzymes in the liver. With caffeine gone the formerly blockaded adenosine can freely access the now unoccupied and excessively numerous adenosine receptor sites. Because it has too many adenosine receptors, the nervous system of the caffeine user is ill-adapted to functioning without caffeine.
Adenosine is thought to play a key role in the initiation of pain via purine receptors located on the outside surfaces of sensory neurons. During migraine adenosine concentration in the head and neck is elevated by a mean of 68 percent above normal, and this excessive adenosine combined with increased sensitivity to adenosine initiates pain.
Caffeine withdrawal allows excessive adenosine receptor activation, which produces pain and excessively inhibits the release of serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine. Because the migrainer is already abnormally insensitive to serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine, the over-inhibition of excitatory neurotransmitter release causes a shortage of excitatory neurotransmitter receptor activation, and systems controlled by those neurotransmitters therefore malfunction. These malfunctions cause migraine symptoms. For examples: the shortage of serotonin prevents serotonin from appropriately blocking the pain caused by the excessive adenosine. The shortage of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential to vision, may cause the visual disturbances associated with migraine. The shortage of dopamine may cause the emotional effects associated with migraine. And the shortage of norepinephrine causes the symptoms of sympathetic hypofunction (malfunctioning of the sympathetic nervous system) associated with primary headache.
pain <-- too much adenosine --> excessive inhibition of excitatory neurotransmitter release --> sensory disturbances, symptoms of sympathetic hypofunction, emotional disturbances, behavioral effects, etc. associated with primary headache

Question: What is adenosine?
Answer: Adenosine is a neurotransmitter chemical. Neurotransmitters are the chemicals nerve cells use to communicate messages to each other. When a nerve cell releases a tiny amount of adenosine, that released adenosine is received by special receptor sites located on the exterior of the cell, or can travel across the tiny space (synapse) between two nerve cells and be received by receptors on the neighboring nerve cell. The release and reception of adenosine may inhibit (decrease), excite (increase), or mediate (limit) the release of various other neurotransmitters and thereby alter the rate of nerve transmission and thus influence various bodily functions, depending on which nerve cell receives the message and on what type of adenosine receptor (inhibitory or excitatory) predominate on that nerve cell, and on what other messages are being sent at the same time via other neurotransmitters and receptors.
Overall, adenosine inhibits the release of excitatory neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, and acetylcholine, and this inhibition of excitatory neurotransmitters reduces message traffic between nerve cells. There is nearly always a certain amount of adenosine being released, and it acts to keep nervous activity appropriately damped. That is the main reason people use caffeine: caffeine interferes with the inhibitory action of adenosine, so caffeine counters boredom, drowsiness, and sedation, and increases alertness, activity, sociability, and attentiveness. Because caffeine blocks adenosine, caffeine and adenosine have opposite effects. Adenosine plays a key role in sleep: adenosine is the chemical that gives you that sleepy feeling. Adenosine on balance reduces nerve firing and thereby slows the activity of various organs. As a result, adenosine causes behavior that is a prelude to sleep. Adenosine makes people become sedate and sedentary, and makes their eyelids feel heavy, so that the eyelids have to be held up by force of will (rather than automatically as they are during most waking hours), makes people seek a horizontal position and avoid light, noise, and interaction with other people. Not surprisingly, methylxanthines such as caffeine which interfere with the action of adenosine also interfere with sleep; caffeine is likely the major cause of insomnia.
The nervous system adjusts to even one exposure to caffeine by increasing the number of adenosine receptors and reducing the number of serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine receptors. These adjustments allow the caffeine user to function fairly normally despite the interfering presence of caffeine. When caffeine is abruptly withdrawn, however, that leaves the chronic caffeine user with too many adenosine receptors and not enough serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and norepinephrine receptors. When caffeine is suddenly not present, release of excitatory neurotransmitters is therefore excessively suppressed. This causes various parts of the nervous system to malfunction, chiefly in the immediate area of the various sensory apparatus of the head (the retinas, olfactory bulbs, cochleae, vestibular apparatus, lips, tongue, and tooth pulp), where there are great concentrations of sensory neurons that release adenosine.
ATP and, to a lesser extent, adenosine are thought to initiate pain (nociception) by binding to (docking with) purinergic receptors located on sensory neurons. ATP and adenosine applied to the skin cause intense local pain and local vasodilation. In addition to its direct nociceptive property, adenosine also inhibits the release of neurotransmitters including serotonin. Serotonin is known to mediate (modulate) pain transmission. Because a drug, sumatriptan (Imitrex,™ Imigran™), designed to mimic serotonin (a neurotransmitter) is often effective in relieving migraine attacks, it seems clear a shortage of serotonin is an important part of the mechanism of migraine. The shortage of serotonin associated with migraine may be due to excessive adenosine and excessive activation of excessive adenosine receptors, which excesses are caused by chronic caffeine use followed by withdrawal.

All of the weird effects of migraine aura are readily explained by elevated responses to adenosine. Most of the symptoms typical of migraine can be induced by infusion of adenosine. Continuous infusion of 50 mg per kg per minute adenosine in humans near the carotid arteries in the neck produces the following symptoms:
• facial flush
• chest pain or discomfort
• radiating pain in neck, throat, limbs, back, and/or abdomen
• blocked sinuses of the nose
• headache
• palpitation
• difficulty breathing and/or rapid breathing
• tingling sensation in the arms
• nausea
• sedation
• alteration in taste perception
• hypothermia
• reduction in cognitive ability and memory

Infused adenosine congregates in sensory neurons in the eyes, nose, and on the tongue, probably because the infused adenosine binds to adenosine receptors located, in great concentrations, on the outside surfaces of the numerous, tightly-packed sensory neurons in the sensory apparatus of the head. Adenosine in the retina, as elsewhere, modulates the release of neurotransmitters, so excessive adenosine receptor activation may account for the visual and other sensory disturbances associated with migraine.

Question: What is a receptor?
Answer: A receptor is a protein embedded in a cellular membrane. In the case of an external receptor, part of the receptor protein sticks out of the outside of the cell, part sticks out towards the inside of the cell, and part passes through the cell membrane. A neurotransmitter molecule fits into a specific type of receptor and acts like a key in a lock. When the neurotransmitter molecule binds (attaches) to the receptor, the receptor protein changes shape, and by changing shape can initiate a chain of chemical events inside the cell. Cells can add, move, and remove receptors in order to adjust for varying circumstances. Receptors are often coupled (connected) to other types of receptors and so can work in a coordinated manner. Receptors may also be coupled to enzymes, so that the receptors regulate the activity of these enzymes. Receptors can also be coupled to channels in the cell membrane, and thereby control the flow of material into and out of the cell through those channels. By altering the flow of ions (electrically charged molecules, atoms, or fragments of atoms) into and out of neurons (nerve cells), receptors can alter the electrical polarity of a neuron. Changes in electrical polarity transmit information from one end of a neuron to the other.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #74
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Practical advice on caffeine withdrawal. Like all withdrawals the graduated process works best over 14 days. Just keep reducing the intake until you have zero on day 15.

Drink plenty of water for the next 2-3 days and take paracetamol if you have a headache. It goes away.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #75
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
It definitely helps and I can feel it's effects on my muscle development, which had plateaued for a while. Getting bigger was never my intention, I've always strived to maintain an athletic look rather than a chunky one! My muscle definition has certainly increased with this regime, leaves me absolutely exhausted at the end.

My main concern is overtraining and doing any harm to my body.
Completely exhausted is what you want! But nothing further than that. The thing with weight training is that again, the human body is very very clever and it's survival adaptations mean it gets used to anything you repeat over time. That means you need to use periodization and changeups to shock the body into continued growth.

In other words if you use the same weigh training plan for cycle after cycle, your body won't grow any stronger after a while. It adapts.

Some say you need to change up your plan every 6 weeks. I used cycles of 12 weeks and ensure I change up every cycle.

In terms of overtraining I posted symptoms of overtraining above. You should be able to tell the difference between a good hard workout and being overtrained.

When in doubt, take a week off. If you gain muscle in that week off, you're overtraining!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #76
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Completely exhausted is what you want! But nothing further than that. The thing with weight training is that again, the human body is very very clever and it's survival adaptations mean it gets used to anything you repeat over time. That means you need to use periodization and changeups to shock the body into continued growth.

In other words if you use the same weigh training plan for cycle after cycle, your body won't grow any stronger after a while. It adapts.

Some say you need to change up your plan every 6 weeks. I used cycles of 12 weeks and ensure I change up every cycle.

In terms of overtraining I posted symptoms of overtraining above. You should be able to tell the difference between a good hard workout and being overtrained.

When in doubt, take a week off. If you gain muscle in that week off, you're overtraining!
Thanks for all the help Kenny. Really awesome what you're doing and it's great to see such a positive reaction in our small community.

The line between over-training and just right is something I've been struggling with. Have had the last week off due to work commitments and I'm feeling really gross at the moment - can't actually see too much visual degradation but just don't feel right!

I'm back to the gym today and PT tomorrow so really looking forward to it.

Gazz, the plan sounds great. The lake sounds even better! One step at a time is always the easiest way to start things off.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #77
SR32
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY11 135i CW 6Spd Man

Excellent thread mate - lots of great info in there, although mostly from a weight loss perspective.

I've been the opposite and always been a hard gainer - and it's all about eating massive amounts of (the right) food and allowing yourself plenty of rest and sleep in between gym sessions.

I'm 6ft5 and 103kgs now having started at 85kg six or so years ago. (I'm 33)

My gym routine includes a variety of compound movements over three days: chest and tri's, back and bi's and a legs day. I also train BJJ 3 mornings per week which looks after the core and cardio side of things.

Again - excellent thread and info
      04-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #78
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR32 View Post
Excellent thread mate - lots of great info in there, although mostly from a weight loss perspective.

I've been the opposite and always been a hard gainer - and it's all about eating massive amounts of (the right) food and allowing yourself plenty of rest and sleep in between gym sessions.

I'm 6ft5 and 103kgs now having started at 85kg six or so years ago. (I'm 33)

My gym routine includes a variety of compound movements over three days: chest and tri's, back and bi's and a legs day. I also train BJJ 3 mornings per week which looks after the core and cardio side of things.

Again - excellent thread and info
Wow, well done. At 5'17" and 103 kgs you are a unit! I'll post up more info on weight training in future and I know that Zuzu has a lot of knowledge there.

But you've gained 18 kgs of LBM so I'm not sure there's anything you need to know! Just keep on doing what you're doing!

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #79
SR32
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY11 135i CW 6Spd Man

ha! Thanks Kenny - it gets pretty exhausting eating to fuel it all!

Yep, pretty tall at 6ft5 - and VERY thankful those Germans build cars that I can fit into!

Again - great thread, mate... top stuff

*heads to kitchen for a protein shake*
      04-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #80
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR32 View Post
ha! Thanks Kenny - it gets pretty exhausting eating to fuel it all!

Yep, pretty tall at 6ft5 - and VERY thankful those Germans build cars that I can fit into!

Again - great thread, mate... top stuff

*heads to kitchen for a protein shake*
SR32, I had the same thing of having to eat heaps and heaps to keep from being scrawny but at 6ft, considerably shorter than you are. Lifetime of basketball and swimming helped with the physique a bit but was always scrawny.

Now I'm fighting to go the other way!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #81
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Returned to the gym yesterday and PT this morning after my week's sabbatical. It is such an awesome feeling!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #82
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Does anyone have any questions or new info to add?

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #83
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Entries for 2012 City to Surf are open!

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #84
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Hey Kenny. Since being, in no small part, inspired by this thread I have lost 8 kgs, have taken up running, gym, mountain bike ( though mostly urban off road ) and my favourite - the ocean ski.

After not exercising for almost 14 years, and 29 years since being a triathlete it has been refreshing to find that the old body can cope with getting back in shape.

Resting heart has gone from 74 to 52. Can run 6 klms in 35 mins ( target of 30 mins by November ), Can paddle 9 klms in 60 mins ( target is 12 klms in an hour, this one is perhaps a little ambitious at this stage ). The one thing that is lagging is the flexibility exercises. I find these to be a real bore even though I know they are essential to my overall fitness. It's just that the non dynamic stuff is so un-motivating.

Any tips??

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread and the inspiration it provided.

And good luck on the city to surf.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #85
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Hey Kenny. Since being, in no small part, inspired by this thread I have lost 8 kgs, have taken up running, gym, mountain bike ( though mostly urban off road ) and my favourite - the ocean ski.

After not exercising for almost 14 years, and 29 years since being a triathlete it has been refreshing to find that the old body can cope with getting back in shape.

Resting heart has gone from 74 to 52. Can run 6 klms in 35 mins ( target of 30 mins by November ), Can paddle 9 klms in 60 mins ( target is 12 klms in an hour, this one is perhaps a little ambitious at this stage ). The one thing that is lagging is the flexibility exercises. I find these to be a real bore even though I know they are essential to my overall fitness. It's just that the non dynamic stuff is so un-motivating.

Any tips??

Good on ya gazz..Good to hear mate..us old fella's can still out perform much younger rivals, and most importantly, by the sounds of your post, you are really enjoying getting back into a healthier lifestyle.

Mate, for flexibility, look for a gym that has Pilates classes..

Great for flexibility/agility and most importantly, core stability.

They are safe, although not easy classes, but very important in a balanced exercise program..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #86
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Good on ya gazz..Good to hear mate..us old fella's can still out perform much younger rivals, and most importantly, by the sounds of your post, you are really enjoying getting back into a healthier lifestyle.

They are safe, although not easy classes, but very important in a balanced exercise program..
Thanks Joe. Not really into gyms, the one I use is the gym in my mother in law's apartment building and I'm usually the only one in it, shame because it's actually pretty well equipped. They must be an unhealthy lot there as I can go back after a few days and the place is as I left it!

I know what I should do re flexibility it's just that it doesn't inspire me the way the more dynamic stuff does. Maybe I should join one of those yummy mummy yoga classes
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #87
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Any tips??

Great to read Gazz! Well done on the weight loss and fitness improvement. Resting rate of 52 bpm is pretty good for an old bugger!

I think with flexiblity the reward is the lack of soreness and injury. I'm pretty bad .. I have not stretched once since 2002. Oops.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #88
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

Joey I'm gonna need some help soon to design a workout plan to fit into the week with my running plan. I'd like some better upper body, purely visual rather than functional. Fuck all genetic potential to work with but would love to grow some outer delts and tri definition.

Appreciate 0