BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #5567
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Just the usual stuff...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/searc...rchid=43704509

What the hell is going on here?
If he was talking about this M4, then I agree with him:

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #5568
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Just the usual stuff...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/searc...rchid=43704509

What the hell is going on here?
Lol.. typical New Yorker from Brooklyn.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #5569
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
^ link is broken, what am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #5570
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Holy smokes just got back from driving the M2 on the track and all I have to say is wow. For those of you with an upgraded suspension, lsd, and tune you may not think so but to me with a stock 135is it was what I wish my car was. The grip, acceleration, breaking, traction is truly amazing.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #5571
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Holy smokes just got back from driving the M2 on the track and all I have to say is wow. For those of you with an upgraded suspension, lsd, and tune you may not think so but to me with a stock 135is it was what I wish my car was. The grip, acceleration, breaking, traction is truly amazing.
I know quite a few people here have been following and commenting on your adventures. They even sucked me into it.

I know many people are jealous as all hell, too. Had I known, I'd have loved to have gone out there for that 2 day m-class.

To help them out though with a few poignant questions if you would be so kind:

1) What did you think of how the stock exhaust sounded on the M2 compared to the IS. From all clips it sounds pretty loud and mean in stock form. Would you even consider or think about putting an m performance exhaust on there?

2) What did you think of the various colors? Which was your favorite? Looks like they had at least 1 of each there. Of course color choices are very subjective, but I know a few members are on the fence with their color choice. Obviously, mineral grey looked best though, right? Ha! Totally not biased.

3) I assume all the cars were DCT? So you didn't get to drive one in stick to compare the 6MT from our cars to the M2's?

And 4) What did you think of the M3/M4 then in comparison? I'm sure we're all biased towards the smaller car since we're all 1-series owners, but how palpable was the power difference and "feel" of the M2 compared to the M3/M4 since a few of us are on the fence between them, or have leases coming up and might not be able to secure an M2.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #5572
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Also, congrats on making the main bimmerpost page!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #5573
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I know quite a few people here have been following and commenting on your adventures. They even sucked me into it.

I know many people are jealous as all hell, too. Had I known, I'd have loved to have gone out there for that 2 day m-class.

To help them out though with a few poignant questions if you would be so kind:

1) What did you think of how the stock exhaust sounded on the M2 compared to the IS. From all clips it sounds pretty loud and mean in stock form. Would you even consider or think about putting an m performance exhaust on there?

2) What did you think of the various colors? Which was your favorite? Looks like they had at least 1 of each there. Of course color choices are very subjective, but I know a few members are on the fence with their color choice. Obviously, mineral grey looked best though, right? Ha! Totally not biased.

3) I assume all the cars were DCT? So you didn't get to drive one in stick to compare the 6MT from our cars to the M2's?

And 4) What did you think of the M3/M4 then in comparison? I'm sure we're all biased towards the smaller car since we're all 1-series owners, but how palpable was the power difference and "feel" of the M2 compared to the M3/M4 since a few of us are on the fence between them, or have leases coming up and might not be able to secure an M2.
1) It sounded much better. It was deeper, and throatier if that makes any sense. I am 95% satisfied with the stock exhaust and would hold off on the performance exhaust for quite some time, maybe down the road i would consider the upgrade. Just to note, the cars we were driving had less than 2k miles on them much of which was break in miles so i'm sure the sound would only get better over time.

2) After seeing all 4 colors almost next to each other at once i would put them in the following order from favorite to least favorite then the order in which i would get them and why.
Favorite: 1. MG, 2. BSM, 3. LBB, 4. AW,
Which would I get: 1. MG, 2. LBB, 3. BSM, 4.AW
I think the MG and BSM look absolutely fantastic, sinister almost. The MG is stealthy and just looks good. BMS is an amazing color on the car and the metallic really pops and sets it apart from the other colors. I am still unsure about LBB and after seeing in almost every light situation (during the day, under the clouds, in the rain, at night) and there are some shades that are still unpleasing to me. However i would have to get it before BSM because if i weren't able to keep the car clean all the time it would drive me bonkers, i guess thats the OCD in me. I was not a fan of AW in the pictures (as you could probably tell through my previous posts) however in person it grew on me quite a bit and with some carbon fiber pieces i think it will phenomenal. AW also make the body lines most prominent and bad ass. And yes, if i were to order a M2 (which i am getting a bad itch for something after being there) i would definitely go with MG.

3) Yes all were DCT except for the 1 MG M2. We did not get to drive the stick but the instructors told it the manual transmission is absolutely fantastic and is just as good as the M3/4. Im not sure if it is the same but i'm sure that would be easy enough to find out. One of my biggest regrets about my 135is is that it is a DCT and i really want a manual in my next car however the MDCT is so freaking fantastic i would have to get it and pay the premium for it. The shift are so sharp and crisp in Sport+ each pull of the paddle send you forward then back into your seat. The downshift are ferocious, every opportunity i had driving around either the paddock or to the course i would shift down just to hear the exhaust snap, crackle and pop.

4) The M3/4 is a BEAST. 1st and 2nd gear in the M3/4 are short and the car really comes alive in 3rd (up to ~90mph) & 4th gear (~135ish). The M2's gearing is much more consistent and the instructors said BMW learned from this mistake in the bigger M's and perfected it in the M2. The CCB's are out of this world and are so consistent it is unreal. The M3/4 instilled so much confidence on the course because every corner you went in to you know the car was capable of doing what you want it to. The M2 was more "challenging" on the track but in a good way. It took more skill and effort but was just as if not more fun. The M2 had the same steel brakes as the M3/4 with the performance track pads installed. I felt no fade throughout the track sessions but with better pads and better fluid i think i would have been just as confident in the M2 as i was in the M3/4 coming up to a corner at over 120mph. If the M2 had a CCB option the car would be unstoppable on the track. The good news is as we have seen on the M2 Pace Car and having some discussions with the instructors they believe that someone would be able to easily figure out how to get the M3/4 CCB's on the M2 in a short period of time as they utilize the same hubs. I consider myself a good driver but am no where near capable of what the M3/4 or the M2 can do for that matter. Watching the instructors toss them around and fly through the course so effortlessly really show what the car is capable of. In comparison the M3/4 definitely have the speed down the straights but the M2 makes up for it in corner enter speed. I felt as though wherever the M3/4 excelled the M2 made up for it in some other way. The instructors believed that on the course the M2 would be just as fast if not faster than the M3/4 as the shorter wheelbase would make up for the lack of power.

If i were ordering a new vehicle it would basically come down to one question, do i need/want a larger car with a more accessible rear seat. I see no wrong in going with either and were both an absolute blast to beat on for 2 days. I would love to be able to have either as my DD. The M2 is everything i wish my car was and definitely holds up to all of the hype the car has been receiving. The M3/4 is a killer car and was awesome to experience at speed. Both cars are more than I need or could handle, but damn do i want one of each bad.
I hate to say it but after driving my car over 100 miles the past day it just feels normal. Before driving the M3/4 & M2 i thought my car was something special and still do, however now it just feels bland in comparison. The power, the cornering, the braking, it all just feels mediocre and soft, I know I could upgraded but i like to keep my cars stock for the most part.
The M2, M3 & M4 are so special it will be hard to not find myself in one of the three over the next year as long as everything goes as planned. I don't think anyone can go wrong with whichever you choose and over the next few months we will see how they really stand up next to each other.
After this experience (which i can not thank BMWUSA enough to provide me the opportunity with) i am a BMW fan, enthusiast, and (hopefully) owner for life. You never really appreciate how special and capable these cars are until you have the opportunity to drive them and see for yourself.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #5574
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M2 is everything i wish my car was and definitely holds up to all of the hype the car has been receiving.
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us over the past week or so. All of the reviews on the M2 have generally been very positive, but getting input from someone who, like me, 1) chose to purchase a 135is, and 2) lives day in and day out with a 135is is particularly helpful! I'm glad I got on my dealer's list when I did ... my build allocation should be available next month.

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #5575
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU
Quote:
The M2 is everything i wish my car was and definitely holds up to all of the hype the car has been receiving.
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us over the past week or so. All of the reviews on the M2 have generally been very positive, but getting input from someone who, like me, 1) chose to purchase a 135is, and 2) lives day in and day out with a 135is is particularly helpful! I'm glad I got on my dealer's list when I did ... my build allocation should be available next month.
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you go with.
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #5576
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

AGAV13 -- Thanks for all of the pictures, feedback and especially your thoughtful answers to Greg's questions above. As CAVU said, it is great to hear such a direct comparison to the 135is that we all love. Congrats, and well done all around!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #5577
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Yes, thanks for your lengthy and insightful answers. Comparing the driving experiences to the IS is invaluable because when reviewers write up their thoughts either on those or say the M235, just on their own accord, of course they're going to say they're great. But without a reference point or direct comparison, someone might for example really like the M235, but never driven an IS, and might like that even more.

Just stinks that now it makes your IS in comparison seem mediocre/pedestrian. Hopefully that'll wear off after a few days. Or...the dinan stage 2 tune now has a much lower price, slap that bad boy on and voila, more power than the M2.

Perhaps it's true what they say, you should never meet (or drive) your heroes.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #5578
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

Quote:
Yes, thanks for your lengthy and insightful answers. Comparing the driving experiences to the IS is invaluable because when reviewers write up their thoughts either on those or say the M235, just on their own accord, of course they're going to say they're great. But without a reference point or direct comparison, someone might for example really like the M235, but never driven an IS, and might like that even more.

Just stinks that now it makes your IS in comparison seem mediocre/pedestrian. Hopefully that'll wear off after a few days. Or...the dinan stage 2 tune now has a much lower price, slap that bad boy on and voila, more power than the M2.

The price drop on the S2 is awesome I was quoted $1200 installed at a local shop. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, I would like to hear from someone that went from PPK to Dinan S2 to see how dramatic the change was considering BMW tends to underrate their numbers and most tuners tend to over rate them. When I pull the trigger I will def do some before and after 1/4 mile runs and document the differance.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #5579
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade135is View Post
The price drop on the S2 is awesome I was quoted $1200 installed at a local shop. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, I would like to hear from someone that went from PPK to Dinan S2 to see how dramatic the change was considering BMW tends to underrate their numbers and most tuners tend to over rate them. When I pull the trigger I will def do some before and after 1/4 mile runs and document the differance.
That's a great price for the Dinan tune. Makes it even more tempting. Would be interested in knowing actual horsepower and torque for PPK before vs Dinan S2 after.
      03-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #5580
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That's a great price for the Dinan tune. Makes it even more tempting. Would be interested in knowing actual horsepower and torque for PPK before vs Dinan S2 after.
Ultimately I would too, unfortunately i don't have access or money to spend on multiple dyno runs. But 1/4 mile runs are free and should at least offer some idea as too how drastic the change is.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #5581
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8

Honestly if I were to do anything to my car at this point it would be to get a true LSD and suspension. For my daily driver I don't really need more power though it would be nice.
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #5582
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Thanks for sharing! I'm really interested in the M2, but after getting my 135is, my wife would kill me if I as much as look at another car website for too long -- so I'm going to have to wait a few years and enjoy my 135is in the meantime (finally crossed over 20,000 miles - woot!). Plus the demand for the M2 is so high, I wouldn't even be able to get into one for a few years anyway.

Quote:
1) It sounded much better. It was deeper, and throatier if that makes any sense. I am 95% satisfied with the stock exhaust and would hold off on the performance exhaust for quite some time, maybe down the road i would consider the upgrade. Just to note, the cars we were driving had less than 2k miles on them much of which was break in miles so i'm sure the sound would only get better over time.

2) After seeing all 4 colors almost next to each other at once i would put them in the following order from favorite to least favorite then the order in which i would get them and why.
Favorite: 1. MG, 2. BSM, 3. LBB, 4. AW,
Which would I get: 1. MG, 2. LBB, 3. BSM, 4.AW
I think the MG and BSM look absolutely fantastic, sinister almost. The MG is stealthy and just looks good. BMS is an amazing color on the car and the metallic really pops and sets it apart from the other colors. I am still unsure about LBB and after seeing in almost every light situation (during the day, under the clouds, in the rain, at night) and there are some shades that are still unpleasing to me. However i would have to get it before BSM because if i weren't able to keep the car clean all the time it would drive me bonkers, i guess thats the OCD in me. I was not a fan of AW in the pictures (as you could probably tell through my previous posts) however in person it grew on me quite a bit and with some carbon fiber pieces i think it will phenomenal. AW also make the body lines most prominent and bad ass. And yes, if i were to order a M2 (which i am getting a bad itch for something after being there) i would definitely go with MG.

3) Yes all were DCT except for the 1 MG M2. We did not get to drive the stick but the instructors told it the manual transmission is absolutely fantastic and is just as good as the M3/4. Im not sure if it is the same but i'm sure that would be easy enough to find out. One of my biggest regrets about my 135is is that it is a DCT and i really want a manual in my next car however the MDCT is so freaking fantastic i would have to get it and pay the premium for it. The shift are so sharp and crisp in Sport+ each pull of the paddle send you forward then back into your seat. The downshift are ferocious, every opportunity i had driving around either the paddock or to the course i would shift down just to hear the exhaust snap, crackle and pop.

4) The M3/4 is a BEAST. 1st and 2nd gear in the M3/4 are short and the car really comes alive in 3rd (up to ~90mph) & 4th gear (~135ish). The M2's gearing is much more consistent and the instructors said BMW learned from this mistake in the bigger M's and perfected it in the M2. The CCB's are out of this world and are so consistent it is unreal. The M3/4 instilled so much confidence on the course because every corner you went in to you know the car was capable of doing what you want it to. The M2 was more "challenging" on the track but in a good way. It took more skill and effort but was just as if not more fun. The M2 had the same steel brakes as the M3/4 with the performance track pads installed. I felt no fade throughout the track sessions but with better pads and better fluid i think i would have been just as confident in the M2 as i was in the M3/4 coming up to a corner at over 120mph. If the M2 had a CCB option the car would be unstoppable on the track. The good news is as we have seen on the M2 Pace Car and having some discussions with the instructors they believe that someone would be able to easily figure out how to get the M3/4 CCB's on the M2 in a short period of time as they utilize the same hubs. I consider myself a good driver but am no where near capable of what the M3/4 or the M2 can do for that matter. Watching the instructors toss them around and fly through the course so effortlessly really show what the car is capable of. In comparison the M3/4 definitely have the speed down the straights but the M2 makes up for it in corner enter speed. I felt as though wherever the M3/4 excelled the M2 made up for it in some other way. The instructors believed that on the course the M2 would be just as fast if not faster than the M3/4 as the shorter wheelbase would make up for the lack of power.

If i were ordering a new vehicle it would basically come down to one question, do i need/want a larger car with a more accessible rear seat. I see no wrong in going with either and were both an absolute blast to beat on for 2 days. I would love to be able to have either as my DD. The M2 is everything i wish my car was and definitely holds up to all of the hype the car has been receiving. The M3/4 is a killer car and was awesome to experience at speed. Both cars are more than I need or could handle, but damn do i want one of each bad.
I hate to say it but after driving my car over 100 miles the past day it just feels normal. Before driving the M3/4 & M2 i thought my car was something special and still do, however now it just feels bland in comparison. The power, the cornering, the braking, it all just feels mediocre and soft, I know I could upgraded but i like to keep my cars stock for the most part.
The M2, M3 & M4 are so special it will be hard to not find myself in one of the three over the next year as long as everything goes as planned. I don't think anyone can go wrong with whichever you choose and over the next few months we will see how they really stand up next to each other.
After this experience (which i can not thank BMWUSA enough to provide me the opportunity with) i am a BMW fan, enthusiast, and (hopefully) owner for life. You never really appreciate how special and capable these cars are until you have the opportunity to drive them and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #5583
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Thanks for sharing! I'm really interested in the M2, but after getting my 135is, my wife would kill me if I as much as look at another car website for too long -- so I'm going to have to wait a few years and enjoy my 135is in the meantime (finally crossed over 20,000 miles - woot!). Plus the demand for the M2 is so high, I wouldn't even be able to get into one for a few years anyway.
Wait 3 years and then buy a low mileage 2016 M2 for 1/2 original MSRP
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #5584
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you go with.
I'm going with 6MT and Exec Pkg, with Performance Center delivery. Up until this week I was split between MG and LBB, but I'm now planning to go MG, especially after seeing recent photos. Also planning to go with Xpel and CQuartz, and most likely tint as well. The DCT on the 135is was enjoyable and I'm glad I experienced it, but looking forward to returning to a manual.

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #5585
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Fire extinguisher and mount came in today.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...e92-p2681.aspx

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/gen...px?Thread=True

Looks bad ass!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #5586
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Ummm, why do you need a fire extinguisher in your car? Maybe it's better I don't know. Guess you burn a lot of rubber. =P

I might install a defibrillator.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #5587
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ummm, why do you need a fire extinguisher in your car? Maybe it's better I don't know. Guess you burn a lot of rubber. =P

I might install a defibrillator.
I can not tell you why I need a fire extinguisher. I am sorry, I just can not.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #5588
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
I can not tell you why I need a fire extinguisher. I am sorry, I just can not.
Oh wait...is it to potentially put out fires? Because you're a secret vigilante firefighter, scouring the city late at night in your beast. Yep, that's it.
Appreciate 0