E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Power steering breaks because of donuts?

02-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #67
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Nobody has a problem with your age or even really with the fact that your father purchased a BMW for you. If you want to know a deep, dark secret of mine, I grew up as a trust fund baby and got a BMW when I was 17 (my father paid for half of it).

What we have a problem with is your attitude; the vague legal threats and tough guy talk to your dealer as well as an almost total unwillingless to accept the fact that doing donuts in a BMW is, at the very least, on the margins of an acceptable use for the vehicle... especially one with a highly advanced steering system designed so that limp wristed grocery getters wouldn't need to strain their arms much whilst parking.

Seriously, if you walked into the dealer and were up front with them and perhaps had a sense of humor about the whole thing, I would have a much better opinion of you and the situation. As it stands, you've lied to the dealer about how your car broke and threatened legal action against them because you do not approve of the standards of the repair. Your actions are dishonorable; man up and learn to be honest and people won't have nearly as much of a problem with you.

I recognize your attitude problem because I had one that was identical to yours. Lucky for me, I was probably even more of a dumbass then you are and I got my attitude adjusted by the Marine Corps.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #68
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335d 2010 - Imola Red

Hahaha, this thread is just amazing. Its even funnier to see ZenDriver and other complaining about the guys attitude. You're no angels to other people either. What do you guys know how to treat people? You guys just know that this guy is a real dick because that he is 17, got the car from his dad, and was one sentence to someone who is supposed to fix his car.

This kind of behavoir is what we call "Svenska avundsjukan", which means "swedish jellousy". Which (i thought) was very specific for sweden. But hey, now i got proof its not!

Who cares if they guy is 17, got the car from his dad, is spoiled, and have a bad attitude and are bad at spelling.

Jesus, whos the child here? Grow up!

Stick on topic, SHOULD THE CAR BE ABLE TO DO DONUTS WITH ACTIVE STEERING?

In my opinion is, yes, it should.. Maybe it would get a little extra worn because of this. But it defenitly shoudlnt break, TWICE. Come on..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #69
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Who cares if they guy is 17, got the car from his dad, is spoiled, and have a bad attitude and are bad at spelling.
There was a time when the BMW community was not subjected to the irrational, whiny and attitude ladened complaints of 17 year olds. Some of us are simply frustrated that the BMW brand is heading towards the upper crust of the 2 Fast 2 Furious crowd.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #70
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
There was a time when the BMW community was not subjected to the irrational, whiny and attitude ladened complaints of 17 year olds. Some of us are simply frustrated that the BMW brand is heading towards the upper crust of the 2 Fast 2 Furious crowd.
Well get over it. And get back on topic. A BMW should be able to handle a donout without breaking. Otherwise there is something seriously wrong. BMW even does these kind of manuvers in their commericals. Ofcourse the cars should handle it... Atleast not breaking at once!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #71
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it would be interesting to hear from arby what kind of maneuver he was doing to break the PS

donuts is not very descriptive,

it's too bad he didn't word the OP better and start the whole barrage of attacks on himself
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #72
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Well get over it.
Blow me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #73
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Blow me.
haha. I agree with Zen. There are less enthusiasts here and more rice boys. This is compared to the old e30 web forums i used to be on.

As for this kid, i just think hes a punk. Not because he broke the steering on his car doing donnuts ONCE, BUT TWICE.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #74
ward
Major General
Rep

I bet arby is the same mexican valet who's crashing cars all over the place!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #75
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i
haha. I agree with Zen. There are less enthusiasts here and more rice boys. This is compared to the old e30 web forums i used to be on.

As for this kid, i just think hes a punk. Not because he broke the steering on his car doing donnuts ONCE, BUT TWICE.
I also agree. Hopefully when the E 90 series gets a little age on it someone will create a 'by invitation' only web mail list to exchange useful information. I would do it if I had the expertise. There is entirely too much foolishness/childishness on this forum at present.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #76
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
O.K. we've established that there are people whose parents can afford to buy their kids expensive cars. I'm feeling a sense of jealousy amoungst a lot of people on this forum. Times have changed, get over the fact that kids drive BMWs. As for the breaking power steering, there is no reason as to way a $40k + plus should not be able to do donuts (not that I would). Also, its a performance car ( a BMW), It shouldn't break. But if it does it once, twice, then maybe that should give you a hint not to. I happen to be one of these kids who has the ability to have a car like this. But this has been through a change in countries and a successful business. I regret what a lot of you are saying. You assume that all "kids" are ricers, my parents tought me better than that. I don't know where its because I'm English, but I personally can't stand the little fart-can four-bangers with a wing on the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #77
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

When you get a car back from the shop, the first thing you are prone to do is to see if they got the thing fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #78
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
I have never understood why everyone has to jump all over anyone if they are young here. If i wouldnt have said i was 17 there would be no problem. Seriously, my age has nothing to do with this topic. You can flame me all you want and ill sit here and take it, but you do not need to question the decisions of my father.

I know there are some people that agree with me that a bmw should be able to handle a little stress. Although people question the ability of AS because of the use of unreliable computers in such a vital part of the car. The way that they fixed the the problem the first time was by replacing the power steering pump. (if that helps anyone get a better idea of what happened) The part that bothers me is that in order to get AS you pay more money, which means it should work. Enough of my ranting, i get my car back friday anyway, so i have a car for the weekend .
Hey Arby, I have a few theories of why this may be happening to you. But it would take me a while to discuss each one. Please do get an educated answer form a supervisor or tech on what is happening with the AS. If this error is consistent and repeatable I’m wondering how BMW missed this and if there will be a software update. I understand your reservations on implicating your self by admitting to the donuts. Can you repeat this error by punching it when you ass out on a gravel turn. I don’t have AS, I did not get it for reasons discussed by others.

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #79
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
you are longing for the days when the ‘BMW community’ was subjected to yuppie crowd with the pastel sweaters tied around their necks. Face it, enthusiasts, people who actually know how to drive their cars have always been on the fringes and always will be. It is not just BMW, any car that is perceived as being high end is going to attract people looking for a status symbol, those folks greatly outnumber the people who appreciate the car for what it can do.
Yea Ken, I'm really longing for the days when the BMW crowd could go back to those heady Wine and Cheese get togethers so we could talk about the latest J. Crew catalogue and pick the hottest Japanese stocks... Jesus, have you ever read anything I've ever posted to this forum?

Back when the '95 M3 came out, the BMW community was comprised of a group of pretty hardcore enthusiasts. Remember, it was a letter writing campaign by BMW CCA members that convinced BMW NA to bring a version of the M3 into the US and it was this vehicle which galvanized the BMW community into one of the more respected automotive enthusiast collectives out there. Track school attendance shot up, BMW enthusiasts began competing at the national level in SCCA events, the BMW Digest and similar forums were going strong and a number of successful BMW tuning houses were either started or really gained notoriety thanks to the online BMW community (I would put Jim Conforti, Turner and UUC into this group- hell, the name UUC is an inside joke from those of us on the old BMW Digest mailing list).

I think the BMW community, much like the BMW brand itself, is loosing it's quality because a lot of folks have shown up due to the brand's status and snob appeal- far more so then back in the day even. Not to get to "Back in the day..." but some of us drive BMWs because they are a company that is almost in our blood and we wouldn't consider buying an Audi or MB or Porsche because it simply isn't who we are. The community has gone from being a bit cultish to having jumped the shark- now people talk about f-ing window tint and dumb ass Xenon interior bulbs. Shit like that would have gotten Suzy to kick your ass off of the old BMW lists. I miss those days...

Quote:
I'm feeling a sense of jealousy amoungst a lot of people on this forum. Times have changed, get over the fact that kids drive BMWs.
I don't give a rats ass how old someone with a BMW is or how they financed their vehicle. The whiney posts, the move towards ghetto modifications, the overall lack of respect for what a BMW really is- that is the part that pisses me off and I think I am probably not the only one.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #80
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
.... 'by invitation' only web mail list ........ There is entirely too much foolishness/childishness ......

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #81
dude007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
I have never understood why everyone has to jump all over anyone if they are young here. If i wouldnt have said i was 17 there would be no problem. Seriously, my age has nothing to do with this topic. You can flame me all you want and ill sit here and take it, but you do not need to question the decisions of my father.

I know there are some people that agree with me that a bmw should be able to handle a little stress. Although people question the ability of AS because of the use of unreliable computers in such a vital part of the car. The way that they fixed the the problem the first time was by replacing the power steering pump. (if that helps anyone get a better idea of what happened) The part that bothers me is that in order to get AS you pay more money, which means it should work. Enough of my ranting, i get my car back friday anyway, so i have a car for the weekend .
Arby

You can still maintain a positive attitudes even after so much flaming by all assh..s who believe they can judge others just because they bought BMW or they are older

btw, active steering have failed in the past when autoside tested 330i, so you are not along.

and yes, sport car should not brake down by driving it aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #82
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Does anyone else think that doing donuts and driving aggressively are not the same? I think donuts are just a way to beat-up the car, eat your tires, and give you another reason to use up your free-maintenance. So be it...
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #83
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
I agree with most of what you have said in this thread, I just think you are intentionally abrasive and it makes you look like an ass and a blowhard.
An ass AND a blowhard? Going with the double barrels are we? Fair enough, it isn't like I take my postings on here very seriously (though, others tend to take me WAY too seriously).

Quote:
For the record I had a ’95 M3, and I grew up in a BMW family,
Then why the yuppie, sweater tied around the shoulders comment? If you were around during the '95 M3 days, especially in the SF Bay, then you knew exactly what I was talking about...

Quote:
Like it or not BMW is doing what the market demands, I agree they are losing something and making compromises to performance, but if they didn’t they would be losing sales and there would be no new BMWs for anybody.
You know, a lot of people pin the sociological nature of the BMW community on BMW when the company itself doesn't really do much to manipulate the nature of that community. I noted that I thought Jeremy Clarkson did the same thing in another thread. BMW just builds the best car that they can, it is what others make BMW into which bothers me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #84
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Then why the yuppie, sweater tied around the shoulders comment? If you were around during the '95 M3 days, especially in the SF Bay, then you knew exactly what I was talking about...

I'm pretty sure he's just demonstrating that there were douchebags in the BMW family back then too

we went from wine and cheese snobs, to spoiled brats.........
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #85
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

The yuppies also generally stay the hell out of the BMW CCA, BMW forums and BMW driving schools. The only exception I can think of was that one time the Roundel published an article about some bimbo who packed all kinds of daily use crap like contact lens cleaner, baby wipes and band aids into her 7 series in the most anal retentive way possible.

Am I the only one who remembers that?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #86
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Bm
MW cars (and motorcycles) are engineered by enthusiasts who respect the machinery and probably can't imagine the kind of abusive treatment that some owners deal out, especially in the United States. Can someone give me a eason for 'doing donuts'? OK. I confess to dointg them on wet grass when I was 15 years old. Got a whipping for it too. My dad was an engineer!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #87
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep

To be honest i Think Arby has a much better attitude than ZenDriver has. And acts alot more mature. Like someone else said. Arby hasnt started flaming on anyone even though lots of people has posted shit about him. And ZenDriver answers "blow me" to people who think he should get back on topic....

I rather have Arby in the community than this idiot..

And i still think that if i drive my car fully normal, and then does ONE donout, it SHOULDNT break. Then there is something wrong with the active stearing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #88
RGB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

I rather have Arby in the community than this idiot..
I can imagine how Arby would behave my comunity!
Appreciate 0