BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
God knows what fuel you ran on map7. And with jb4 some people like to play with settings which end up fudging things up.

Or you could be the very few that have issues with jb4 and didnt make proper power.

Comparing slips vs comparing dyno runs.... slips will have more variation compared to dyno runs.

And as I said jb4 makes more power up top compared to cobb ots.
Unless you are comparing the same car on the same dyno (and ideally the same day), comparing dyno runs is fairly useless. Do you have any slips showing the same car on the same dyno with a jb4 and then a cobb ots?

And what do you mean by 'makes more power up top'? More peak hp? More hp at higher rpms? Either way, those numbers do not necessarily tell the whole story.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #46
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
God knows what fuel you ran on map7. And with jb4 some people like to play with settings which end up fudging things up.

Or you could be the very few that have issues with jb4 and didnt make proper power.

Comparing slips vs comparing dyno runs.... slips will have more variation compared to dyno runs.

And as I said jb4 makes more power up top compared to cobb ots.
I used race fuel of course as I am a set it and forget it type of guy. It is what it is and I ran a lot slower with JB4. Like I said, I made a lot more power in my car with Cobb. No point arguing there buddy.

As for comparing slips, its the same car, same track, similar weather and DA, and its an automatic. Can't get any more consistent than that. I am not even counting the ET, I am going just by trap speed differences alone as that tells a pretty good story of how much power its making.

JB4 makes a lot more power than Cobb, yet I've been able to walk away from every single one that wanted to play lol. In fact, the only person in this thread that even comes close to my times is trickcruiser who is using FBO, race gas, meth and surely something other than runflats who went 1 tenth quicker and trapped the same as me. JB4 makes oh so much more power bro, dynos don't lie man!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #47
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I used race fuel of course as I am a set it and forget it type of guy. It is what it is and I ran a lot slower with JB4. Like I said, I made a lot more power in my car with Cobb. No point arguing there buddy.

As for comparing slips, its the same car, same track, similar weather and DA, and its an automatic. Can't get any more consistent than that. I am not even counting the ET, I am going just by trap speed differences alone as that tells a pretty good story of how much power its making.

JB4 makes a lot more power than Cobb, yet I've been able to walk away from every single one that wanted to play lol. In fact, the only person in this thread that even comes close to my times is trickcruiser who is using FBO, race gas, meth and surely something other than runflats who went 1 tenth quicker and trapped the same as me. JB4 makes oh so much more power bro, dynos don't lie man!
For whatever reason, your car is no doubt loving the Cobb setup. I do not think there are many other Cobb guys out there running similar times though... Either way, your car is scooting!

There are always going to be some cars that benefit from unseen variables. For instance, HotRod was running mid 11's in the mid 120's with stock turbos!!! HOW THE !@!$#@

Anyways, just for the record, I am running 265/30/19 Continental Extreme Contact DW's. Really good street tire and I will buy them again but I have cut a handful of 1.8's with my stock run-flats! But that was a much hotter day, headwind, waaaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaaaa so my runs were in the low 12's...
      01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #48
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Ohhh, and onto the dyno's don't lie...
A dyno is only a measuring tool. It is only valid with a baseline and on the same day.

For instance, car A might make 400whp on dyno 1 but only 350whp on dyno 2...
      01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #49
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcruiser View Post
For whatever reason, your car is no doubt loving the Cobb setup. I do not think there are many other Cobb guys out there running similar times though... Either way, your car is scooting!

There are always going to be some cars that benefit from unseen variables. For instance, HotRod was running mid 11's in the mid 120's with stock turbos!!! HOW THE !@!$#@

Anyways, just for the record, I am running 265/30/19 Continental Extreme Contact DW's. Really good street tire and I will buy them again but I have cut a handful of 1.8's with my stock run-flats! But that was a much hotter day, headwind, waaaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaaaa so my runs were in the low 12's...
Thank you! The point I was trying to make is that every car is different and thus will react differently with different tunes. What may work out for one person may not work out for another and vice versa. There are other Cobb cars out there running in the 11's, but they are protuned by PTF and they aren't using meth either. I will say that I did miss Terry's customer service though.

As of right now I don't have Cobb, but will surely pick up another unit sometime down the road for some more fun. Oh, and I will definitely look into the same tires that you have as I have heard great things about them. The runflats are ok in warm weather, but in the cold its really hard to hook up with them.

For those who are on the fence regarding either tune, just try them out and pick the one you like. Return the one you don't like and get your money back if you are buying new as they both have a money back guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #50
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Are you guys still arguing which is faster? lol. It all depends on the maps and settings used on each one. Both the JB4 G5 ISO and a Cobb (especially with pro tuned maps) are able to produce 400-440whp on E85 and run great track times.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #51
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcruiser View Post
Ohhh, and onto the dyno's don't lie...
A dyno is only a measuring tool. It is only valid with a baseline and on the same day.

For instance, car A might make 400whp on dyno 1 but only 350whp on dyno 2...

Same idea holds for different tracks. Track A you'll run 11.5 and on Track B you'll run 11.9. Heck Even on the same track left lane might be quicker than the right cause of prep or condition or slopes.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:

Not arguing, I understand your car runs faster with Cobb than it did with Jb4. But for the majority, cobb makes less power top end compared to JB4. The only way Cobb can match or come close to JB4's top end power is with a Protune. This is the case for majority of the n54's out there.

Your time slips dont have relevance to my comment... I mentioned power up top and your posting time slips. Your slips dont show power...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not arguing, I understand your car runs faster with Cobb than it did with Jb4. But for the majority, cobb makes less power top end compared to JB4. The only way Cobb can match or come close to JB4's top end power is with a Protune. This is the case for majority of the n54's out there.

Your time slips dont have relevance to my comment... I mentioned power up top and your posting time slips. Your slips dont show power...
Actually you were sort of arguing. Lol. You suggested he may have not been using the proper fuel, or that he may have been playing with the jb4 settings and fudged things up, or even that he may have had a bad jb4.

The slips don't show power? Maybe not actual numbers, but how else do explain, if not more power, such higher trap speeds on the same car, same track, similar da?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #54
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Actually you were sort of arguing. Lol. You suggested he may have not been using the proper fuel, or that he may have been playing with the jb4 settings and fudged things up, or even that he may have had a bad jb4.

The slips don't show power? Maybe not actual numbers, but how else do explain, if not more power, such higher trap speeds on the same car, same track, similar da?

I'll say it for the last time, COBB ots tune makes LESS TOP END POWER compared to JB4.

As you said "SIMILAR" DA could be a reason why one day the car runs a little faster than another day. Or it could be track prep, possibly even the launch.

There are dyno's out there of a cobb ots vs jb4, off the same car, same day and Jb4 makes MORE TOP END POWER than the cobb ots.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #55
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'll say it for the last time, COBB ots tune makes LESS TOP END POWER compared to JB4.

As you said "SIMILAR" DA could be a reason why one day the car runs a little faster than another day. Or it could be track prep, possibly even the launch.

There are dyno's out there of a cobb ots vs jb4, off the same car, same day and Jb4 makes MORE TOP END POWER than the cobb ots.
So now you are arguing/questioning again RnmEvo09's results? lol.

4mph is not a 'little bit faster' and trap speed is not really that affected by launch.

Whatever

Really this 'discussion' started with your asinine comment stating: "if you want power get JB4, if your a brand whore get cobb".

Even if jb4 makes more peak hp (which is what I think you mean when you say 'top end'), it is still an especially silly comment given Terry is now selling the cobb unit and has created his own map to help deal with fueling issues and such for higher hp applications.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #56
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:

Actually I disagree. They make very comparable power.
      02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #57
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13933
      02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #58
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13933

Thanks for your opinion but this picture is just fact.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1318291780
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #59
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Everything in the thread I posted is direct from Terry. I don't see how they are so different like you seem to think
Cobb stg2+ makes more power everywhere compared to map2.
      02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #60
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
So now you are arguing/questioning again RnmEvo09's results? lol.

4mph is not a 'little bit faster' and trap speed is not really that affected by launch.

Whatever

Really this 'discussion' started with your asinine comment stating: "if you want power get JB4, if your a brand whore get cobb".

Even if jb4 makes more peak hp (which is what I think you mean when you say 'top end'), it is still an especially silly comment given Terry is now selling the cobb unit and has created his own map to help deal with fueling issues and such for higher hp applications.
He uses the cobb ap to flash his own tune, makes it easier on end user. Or he couldve gone the procede route and require you to mail in your ecu. I prefer using the cobb tool at home.

No I wasnt speaking on peak hp, I was referring to high rpm power.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #61
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Everything in the thread I posted is direct from Terry. I don't see how they are so different like you seem to think
Cobb stg2+ makes more power everywhere compared to map2.
Your confused, the picture I posted was taken from the link you posted... and its the jb4 that makes more hp in the top end
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #62
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

You quoted the "stage 2" picture. If you look 1 set of pictures down, you will see that "stage 2+" makes more power than the JB4 map2.

Don't give me this "but cobbs stage 2 is better than JB4 stage2" because "stage" is all bullshit. You have no idea of the targets or intentions of each stage. On the exact same car, stage2+ made more power than the JB4 did. Period.

And Map6 is a custom tuning map. Which in my eyes is the equivalent of a "pro tune" on Cobb.
      02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #63
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I can't tell if you are being serious or trolling. Tell you what since you make over 400whp supposedly, go to the dragstrip and tell me what you trap. Since JB4 makes so much more power up top, you should have no problem trapping a lot more than 118-119mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #64
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
He uses the cobb ap to flash his own tune, makes it easier on end user. Or he couldve gone the procede route and require you to mail in your ecu. I prefer using the cobb tool at home.
so you use cobb. Running a custom tune built by Terry to work best with the jb4.

Please tell me why it is okay for you/Terry to use cobb to create a custom map, but the the guy that buys cobb and uses it without a jb4 is a brand whore?

Especially since it looks like stage 2+ aggressive beats the canned jb4 maps and is only down ~6hp when custom map 6 is used.

Last edited by foghat; 02-01-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #65
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
I can't tell if you are being serious or trolling. Tell you what since you make over 400whp supposedly, go to the dragstrip and tell me what you trap. Since JB4 makes so much more power up top, you should have no problem trapping a lot more than 118-119mph.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #66
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
You quoted the "stage 2" picture. If you look 1 set of pictures down, you will see that "stage 2+" makes more power than the JB4 map2.

Don't give me this "but cobbs stage 2 is better than JB4 stage2" because "stage" is all bullshit. You have no idea of the targets or intentions of each stage. On the exact same car, stage2+ made more power than the JB4 did. Period.

And Map6 is a custom tuning map. Which in my eyes is the equivalent of a "pro tune" on Cobb.

You're comparing map6 to a real tuning software thats used to protune cars? haha Thats a good laugh!

You obviously dont know what your talking about.
Appreciate 0