BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #111
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Has anyone had the latest software update from BMW? The reason I ask is that the newest update seems to have some pretty strong anti-tunning parameters in it that is making it hard for DME Flash tunes to be loaded. I know one tuner is trying to figure a way around it, but I was curious to see if anyone has had this issues or if any Flash tuners are having issues getting their tunes to load. My tech said the latest update does have a fix in it for long cranks and unless the crank is 5sec or longer it wont trigger a code.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #112
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Has anyone had the latest software update from BMW? The reason I ask is that the newest update seems to have some pretty strong anti-tunning parameters in it that is making it hard for DME Flash tunes to be loaded. I know one tuner is trying to figure a way around it, but I was curious to see if anyone has had this issues or if any Flash tuners are having issues getting their tunes to load. My tech said the latest update does have a fix in it for long cranks and unless the crank is 5sec or longer it wont trigger a code.
Latest software update and new HPFP (943) last week...but am not running any tunes. FWIW: gas mileage is definitely better with the new software!
      03-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #113
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

I've got the tune... and it feels better than broke fuel pump before... too bad about anti tuning... I've just come to accept that tuning is going to be a no no. Tons of potential... but then acting like apple as far as what we can /can't do
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #114
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
I was getting long cranks, and I took it to my dealer, and they said they could not reproduce the issue. Now it got to the point where I had to try 5 or 6 times to start the car sometimes. Each time is like 8-10 seconds. But I'm not seeing any check engine lights, and once it is running, it seems to run fine. Should I take it back in, or just wait for it to fail or show a CE light? I have an '09 with 5800 miles.
There are codes stored when you experience the long crank even though no SES light shows up. Take it back or take it to a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #115
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

I've had the 943 and latest software for a week now and the car seems to be running fine. I have not installed any tunes or flashes.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #116
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
I've got the tune... and it feels better than broke fuel pump before... too bad about anti tuning... I've just come to accept that tuning is going to be a no no. Tons of potential... but then acting like apple as far as what we can /can't do
Well the flash tunes will have issues but the Piggyback tunes will still work. there is a friend of a friend with a new supercharged M3 that has had his car at Gintani for weeks now because they are trying to figure out a way around the new update. The tune keeps getting kicked out of the DME.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #117
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Has anyone had the latest software update from BMW? The reason I ask is that the newest update seems to have some pretty strong anti-tunning parameters in it that is making it hard for DME Flash tunes to be loaded.
Latest as in what date?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #118
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

I'm going in tomm to have my long (5-10 sec) cranks checked out. It's done this in the past, but got better. Now it's constant. Hope they don't give me the old "we can't reproduce it speech." What new software did they use for you and did they ask you or just installed it? Pm me the details of your fix and experience at the dealer if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
Latest software update and new HPFP (943) last week...but am not running any tunes. FWIW: gas mileage is definitely better with the new software!
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #119
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
I agree with you in regards to the better gas mileage. I just had mine updated like 2 weeks ago but am still running the older version fuel pump. I'm averaging 20.6 MPG where I was doing 19.6 originally.
      03-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #120
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
I agree with you in regards to the better gas mileage. I just had mine updated like 2 weeks ago but am still running the older version fuel pump. I'm averaging 20.6 MPG where I was doing 19.6 originally.
Mine was getting about 22.6 average mpg combined and I've not yet done a full tank to find out how much the change has been but I'd guess more than 1 mpg. Have done over 190 miles on very slightly more than a half tank!
      03-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #121
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Mine was getting about 22.6 average mpg combined
That's exactly my average over about 1600 mi. But what version of the software did you guys get and how do you find out what version you're currently on (apart from asking dealer of course...)?

ianc
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #122
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Thats why I think this flash they issued that I had installed is just trying to reoslve symptoms until they improve the design of the pump. I never got check engine lights on either failure, they just get slow cranking and reduced power...

I think they simply run the low pressure pumps to get fuel into the HPFP so as soon as the engine turns over a few times, pressure should be where it needs to be. Also, if they said well lets just turn up boost and fuel targets, they could get car feeling like stock even though its just improving symptoms, not fixing the problem.
I can appreciate trying to figure this out. Many of us having been doing this lately.
Your speculation has some problems though.
The low press. pump simply provides fuel from the tank to the HPFP.
It can't be made to boost pressure anywhere near what the HPFP can make.

It may 'sound' like turning the low press pump higher will let the HP pump create press easier, but that's something that 'sounds' logical, but there are problems with that.

It may sound like increasing the low Press pumps output will help the HP pump produce it's needed pressure, but it can't. The HPFP is the part that creates the high pressure, not the low press pump. As long as the low press pump can supply the needed fuel volume to the HPFP, the HPFP will then need to do it's job. If the low press pump is giving a higher volume to the HPFP, the HPFP can still only produce what it's design parameters let it and no more, unless there is a problem, then it can produce too much or too little, but that would be considered, faulty.

Also, you can't turn boost up to compensate for a fuel problem.
Doing that can only make the fuel problem WORSE. How?
More boost/air requires a certain amount of fuel. If the pump can't produce enough fuel for the lower boost amount, it certainly can't produce the amount of fuel needed for the added boost. And, if it can't give more fuel, then the burn will be very 'lean', which will lead to a hotter and hotter combustion chamber with a higher and higher chance of detonation. If that detonation happens, then the 'knock' sensor reacts by adjusting timing and pulling it, resulting in lower and lower power until the knock stops. If the knock continues the detonation explosions can only lead to cracked pistons and severe engine damage.
Turning up boost to compensate for a faulty fuel delivery system can only make things worse. That's certainly not going to buy time to figure out the pump problem. IT can only lead to even greater troubles.

It's quite possible that the new software is addressing a problem caused by faulty software that is causing poor fuel management.
Will this fix the HPFP problem? I can't say for sure.
But, it's possible that the long crank on cold start and hot start is another problem that may or may not be related to the HPFP failures.
Afterall, some of us have long/ish cranks, but no failures, yet.

Last edited by RPM90; 03-26-2010 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #123
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Well. I guess the hugely more audible electric pump sound COULD be a waterpump... but it's not... its still cranking away a lot longer than a good hpfp but a lot better than it was. It was purely speculation... doesn't make sense but whatever..

** edit: this was uncalled for... I apologise **

Last edited by ronnyek; 03-28-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #124
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
I'd also like to point out that your long winded hazing and e-peen flexing was about as useful as my original post... if you don't like my observations go eat a great big fat one. /rant
Very graceful.

Right up to here,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #125
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

at this point these failures have most on edge for me almost postal....i bought a 09 with 9,000 miles on it end of Jan/10...drove i into the shop today for the 3rd time this month....have only had the car for a few days the month of march..doh!!!!!
this may be the shortest stay of any car i have ever owned..i am so fed up there is a very good chance i will be unloading it in the next couple months or sooner...too bad, except for this problem i love this car...this shit is almost criminal imo....BMW should be spanked, and spanked hard for not having a fix yet...the new software does not fix pre-existing problems i can attest to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #126
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
at this point these failures have most on edge for me almost postal....i bought a 09 with 9,000 miles on it end of Jan/10...drove i into the shop today for the 3rd time this month....have only had the car for a few days the month of march..doh!!!!!
this may be the shortest stay of any car i have ever owned..i am so fed up there is a very good chance i will be unloading it in the next couple months or sooner...too bad, except for this problem i love this car...this shit is almost criminal imo....BMW should be spanked, and spanked hard for not having a fix yet...the new software does not fix pre-existing problems i can attest to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were you I'd start threatening them with the Lemon law and see if you can get them to buy the car back. I wouldn't just dump the car and eat all that first year depreciation over their screwup.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #127
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

i am opening up a Lemon Law case tomorrow for sure...but i am hoping they can fix this as i like the car, and WANT to keep it, but what a bummer...it was so bad today that it had black smoke coming out the exhaust when the car was running rough and erratic...when it finally smoothed out it was fine but with my wife running out of the house wondering what the F,,,k is going on with "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" we alway's read about, now the reality of it isvery disturbing...damn my sons 1993 Camry with 100,000 and my Honda 05 CRV with 120,000 miles on it make this BMW look like a piece of shit with this type of stuff going on...in 28 years of driving i have NEVER experienced such BS !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #128
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I didn't know you could open a lemon law case on a used vehicle? Is that just something NJ offers to its residents?
      03-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #129
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Well. I guess the hugely more audible electric pump sound COULD be a waterpump... but it's not... its still cranking away a lot longer than a good hpfp but a lot better than it was. It was purely speculation... doesn't make sense but whatever..

** edit: this was uncalled for... I apologise **
Thanks.

I wasn't hazing you at all. As I said, many of us have been speculating on what the heck is going on, and it certainly doesn't mean that the things I've presented in other threads is accurate or the truth about what is going on.

I was offering my post to help, not to degrade or haze you.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #130
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

I posted on another HPFP thread earlier this morning. As I type this, my car is at the dealership following weeks of long cranks (especially first thing in the morning and after I leave work). The CEL turned on yesterday evening, and was on all the way to the dealership. I didn't notice any rough idling or serious power loss, but then I don't floor the accelerator on a regular basis either.

Dealership is going to update the software, then start the car tomorrow morning to see if it's any better. If not, I assume a new HPFP will be going in.
      05-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #131
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Update: Apparently there is an even newer revision that just came out, it is part number 13-51-7-613-933.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=414
      05-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #132
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
Update: Apparently there is an even newer revision that just came out, it is part number 13-51-7-613-933.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=414
My 135i was built 1/10. I have had it for 10 days. Amazing car. I had the pump replaced in my 335i coupe after ONE long crank. I have since replaced this car with the 135i.
Am I correct to assume that I have the 943 and that it MAY need to be replaced ?

Thanks