E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New 330xi Owner, need advice please

03-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
GUNSnOLIVZ
Sgt. Ah Sum
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
New 330xi Owner, need advice please

Oy,

I ordered my 330xi about 4 weeks ago and I should be receiving it sometime next week (it's "en route" right now). Here are the specs:

Premium Package with Black Leather, aluminum trim
Sports Package with 162 Styling wheels
Navi
Heated front seats
Sparkling Graphite Exterior

Now, my question is: I know how nice metallic colors are, that's why I ordered my 330xi in Sparkling Graphite, but how can I wash it without creating "circles" or scratching the actual paint? I've heard there are some devices out there that can actually wash it without scratching the metallic paint, does anyone know where I can get this?

I really don't want to go to a professional place and have them f*** it up and pay extra at the same time.

Or, if not, should I just use a Big Sponge and soap? I'm such a BMW Noob

Oh yeah, I'll be posting pics as soon as I get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
rayxi
researcher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive

Do a search, there should be plenty of informative threads on this topic. Congrats on your new car.
      03-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Liberal amount of water and CLEAN SOFT sheepskin mit for washing. Rinse often. Most swirl marks come from drying and waxing though. When drying use only a cotton microfiber CLEAN SOFT towel. Use more than one towel, and the second one gets dirt on it, toss it in the hamper and get another one.

When drying and removing wax use linear motion not circular (this takes getting used to, because we all like to work the circles). Move the towel or cloth in straight lines in the direction of the body panel's largest dimension. Even though fine marks will still exist, they are far less noticable when they are not in a circular pattern.

Lastly, don't let anyone else wash, dry, or wax your car!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
GUNSnOLIVZ
Sgt. Ah Sum
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Liberal amount of water and CLEAN SOFT sheepskin mit for washing. Rinse often. Most swirl marks come from drying and waxing though. When drying use only a cotton microfiber CLEAN SOFT towel. Use more than one towel, and the second one gets dirt on it, toss it in the hamper and get another one.

When drying and removing wax use linear motion not circular (this takes getting used to, because we all like to work the circles). Move the towel or cloth in straight lines in the direction of the body panel's largest dimension. Even though fine marks will still exist, they are far less noticable when they are not in a circular pattern.

Thank you so much LEDZEP , my cuz has an M3 and he takes about 4 hours to wash it himself, now I definitely know why.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP

You can give it an italian dry job too.

(wash, rinse, then drive really, really fast)
Appreciate 0