BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #23
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Yeah, I signed the petition also, for all the good it will do!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
tnawab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Graphite, Coral Red

So mine is going in to get checked out for the long crank. I am right in understanding that the SW update alone kills power output from the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #25
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

I am also taking my car in tomorrow for the 15k service as well as for the long crank. I called BMW NA to complain on the long crank and requested their help to ensure the problem is properly investigated by the dealer instead of just a send me off for no problem found.

I am planning to drive the car from LA to San Francisco next week for a trip that i have scheduled for a while. Hopefully they'll replace my fuel pump. If not, I'll have to rent a car since I really really hate to get stranded in nowhere land.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
This is the insanity of the whole issue with the N54 HPFP... Why should anyone not be able to rely on a new $40K+ BMW for daily transportation or a cross country trip? Aside from the obvious safety issues, why should anyone be left stranded on the side of the road millions of miles from their destination or a BMW dealer due to a known HPFP problem that has existed for four model years? This is completely unacceptable to me and a disgrace IMO.

I agree. I count on this car to get me to the airport all the time, which is two hours away. Missing a flight can cost me thousands of dollars, so should I really have to factor a potential break down into my travel plans every time I'm going to fly out of town on business?

A few months ago the damn thing went into limp mode on my way to Nashville to catch a 7AM flight. What do you think the chances are of getting timely roadside service in the middle of Kentucky at 4:30AM?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
A few months ago the damn thing went into limp mode on my way to Nashville to catch a 7AM flight.
Evansville doesn't have an airport?

Good gosh, man! This is still Indiana, and we are firmly ensconced in the 21st Century. You oughta at least be able to charter a crop duster if you need to get to Nashville.

Quote:
What do you think the chances are of getting timely roadside service in the middle of Kentucky at 4:30AM?
If you call up and tell 'em you're running moonshine across the border when you broke down I'm sure you'll get all the attention and service you could need.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Evansville doesn't have an airport?

Good gosh, man! This is still Indiana, and we are firmly ensconced in the 21st Century. You oughta at least be able to charter a crop duster if you need to get to Nashville.

Evansville has an airport, but to get to New Orleans or Ft Lauderdale (my two most common jobsites) it's much easier to just drive to Nashville and catch a direct flight. It's cheaper, and it takes about the same amount of time with less chances of getting a delayed flight.

A short notice flight out of Evansville costs a fortune, where I can fly Southwest directly to either one of those locations for about $400.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having to plan your flights around your BMW leaving you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night is not my idea of reasonable or prudent...

Did you purchase a Yugo or a BMW?
BMW of course! You can tell by the quality of the dash! Oh wait...nevermind......
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #30
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Had the 943 put in today. Taking a five week, 9k mile road trip this Sunday. If it makes it through that, my guess is the 943 is good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #31
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

well, a month after my new pump installed and my car is still running GREAT ...starts on the 1st crank every time and no issues yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #32
JWebb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Coupe MSport

HPFP

Another one bites the dust. My 2010 135 crapped out yesterday at 3706 miles. Not much warning. One hard start and a lot of shaking. One more hard start and the engine lites came on and it went into limp mode. I learned that when they say limp mode they mean it. I was barely able to keep the car running; no fun with a six-speed. Drove six miles to the dealer. When I told the SA it was probably the HPFP, she did not agree. Then she said, "If it is the fuel pump, we'll have to get approval from BMW to replace it."

Don't know the significance of that statement, but she called me the next day and said they replaced the fuel pump and "reprogrammed the complete vehicle." Even listed on the repair order the guy who approved the replacement, one Igor Kurtisi (I'm not making this up).

I talked to a salesman when I picked it up. When I bitched about it, he admitted "This is not the first we've replaced." Then he said, "The factory tells us these pumps are now being made in Germany."

Have no idea where they were made before. The good news: They gave me a loaner (after I pressed) and I got it back in one day.

2010 Bluewater Blue. MSports Package. 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I can't imagine how BMW can spout about their engineering if they can't fix a HPFP system issue within 12 months. This problem has existed for four YEARS. The customer is paying for BMW's negligence IMO.
Well, the pump is a problem to be sure, but I still find BMW's overall auto engineering to be top notch.
The pump issue is a stain, and a big one, but still they make some very fine automobiles with very modern technology.
BMW tend to be early adopters of modern auto tech, and that can be a bad thing when it fails at the level of these HPFP's.

However, I am still not afraid to drive my 135i. It'll suck if the pump fails and I'll be stranded on the side of the road for a while. But honestly, I can't think of another car that I would pick that gives this kind of all around performance, well, except for the suspension that needs some work.

I'm headed down south this weekend to some some video work in
French Lick, Indiana. Great roads down there, so I'm really looking forward to driving my 1 down there.
It'll be a bit over 250 miles each way, plus the miles driving through the sweet twisty roads.
I may have to take a look at what BMW dealer/s there may be in the area.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebb View Post
Another one bites the dust. My 2010 135 crapped out yesterday at 3706 miles. Not much warning. One hard start and a lot of shaking. One more hard start and the engine lites came on and it went into limp mode. I learned that when they say limp mode they mean it. I was barely able to keep the car running; no fun with a six-speed. Drove six miles to the dealer. When I told the SA it was probably the HPFP, she did not agree. Then she said, "If it is the fuel pump, we'll have to get approval from BMW to replace it."

Don't know the significance of that statement, but she called me the next day and said they replaced the fuel pump and "reprogrammed the complete vehicle." Even listed on the repair order the guy who approved the replacement, one Igor Kurtisi (I'm not making this up).

I talked to a salesman when I picked it up. When I bitched about it, he admitted "This is not the first we've replaced." Then he said, "The factory tells us these pumps are now being made in Germany."

Have no idea where they were made before. The good news: They gave me a loaner (after I pressed) and I got it back in one day.

2010 Bluewater Blue. MSports Package. 6MT.
Up to about even 6 months ago, it seems that a lot of dealers were still giving the response to customers, "Really, we haven't seen that many failures." But now it seems to be a different tune.
I had my 1 in the shop recently. One of the issues was an SES. I spoke directly with the tech who said that the code was related to fuel pressure.
He wanted to replace my pump, but BMW wouldn't authorize it.
He also told me that "a lot" of the TT engines have been having pump failures, and in his view they should all be replaced. Then he told me that the regional BMW field tech told him that the new 943 pump has been working, and that BMW will "soon" begin a recall that will be done in stages. So, not every car at one time. My guess is it will start with the oldest 335i's, 1's, and probably cars that have already had 1 or more failures.

I certainly do hope the 943 is THE fix, cause if it isn't it's going to cost BMW a ton of money to do the recalls only to have to do replacements again, considering that most of these cars have a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the HPFP's. And, it seems the N55 has this new 943 pump also, or at least some posters have said so.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #35
JWebb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Coupe MSport

Beware!

Picked up my car after HPFP replacement yesterday (see above). Looked under the hood for the first time today and noticed that the tech apparently left the four Torx screws out of the plastic elbows that direct air from the each grille opening into the airbox. The elbows were loose and flapping.

Looked around for the screws, but of course they were gone. Wonder if anything else was left off.

Shoulda checked under the hood before I left the dealer. Now it's back for another session.

Bluewater 135i MSport 6MT (rapidly losing its luster)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You don't need to defend BMW's poor reputation on the N54 engine issues which includes the HPFP, injectors, ignition coils, turbos, wastegates, sparkplugs, software, etc.

I think the fact that these issues have existed for four model years speaks volumes about BMW's perspective on customer satisfaction, safety concerns and taking ownership of product defects.

Reality is reality no matter how you perceive it.
No need to wink.
I don't defend BMW.
Perhaps you would be better served with a Toyota, as they have a much better reputation for quality.
Guess you'll be leaving now.

All those things you point out, except for the pump have happened on some of these cars, especially the early ones, and have been addressed.
My TPMS went out, so should we include that on the list of anything that could possible go wrong?
Don't bother answering, it's rhetorical.

Your posts are quite often simplistic and pointless.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #37
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
My TPMS went out, so should we include that on the list of anything that could possible go wrong?

No but I'd include the issues with the dash, 3rd brake light, and tailights. The last two MAY be corrected, but they were/are certainly frequent issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #38
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This is the insanity of the whole issue with the N54 HPFP... Why should anyone not be able to rely on a new $40K+ BMW for daily transportation or a cross country trip? Aside from the obvious safety issues, why should anyone be left stranded on the side of the road millions of miles from their destination or a BMW dealer due to a known HPFP problem that has existed for four model years? This is completely unacceptable to me and a disgrace IMO.
The car has been in the shop for 2 days. They duplicated the long crank but as expected, do not want to replace the pump. They said they have to follow their process. The SA told me he wanted to help me but he had to follow the procedure. He said the last 135i that he serviced on long crank but didn't replace the pump got the SES light only 20 miles out the door.

BMW is so not cool. I have expressed to the dealer as well as BMW NA on the long crank and my upcoming trip. They still hassle me and do not want to replace a known faulty pump. They don't care if I would get stranded in nowhere land. I'm seriously considering trading this thing in for the new Lotus Evora. There is no way I'm going to come back as a recurring BMW customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #39
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No but I'd include the issues with the dash, 3rd brake light, and tailights. The last two MAY be corrected, but they were/are certainly frequent issues.
I wasn't out to list common, less common, not so common issues that can come up with a BMW.

The comment I was addressing was regarding the level of BMW engineering.
If you guys feel it sucks, then that's how you feel. I'm not out to change that, I'm simply giving my opinion, which is obviously counter to some posters.

If someone doesn't like or want BMW's kind of engineering, then there are other options better suited to those who prefer greater reliability.
Would it be grand if BMW's engineering included building the product with much less problems? Sure it would. But, in the real world, this is what you get.

BMW isn't on any list of reliable cars, and they haven't been for a long while. Over the years they have had models with numerous known and common problem. I would think most enthusiast buyers of current BMW's would already know, knew, or should have known, that BMW isn't exactly known for it's excellent reliability.
Since you guys did buy a BMW, then you must like something about their level of engineering.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-19-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and yes, those have been issues. New models tend to have more problems that get corrected with subsequent years, the HPFP issue not being one of those.

My 135i may have a fuel related problem, as I've posted.
The other things are the TPMS, which isn't common.
And, my AC isn't blowing cool air, another not so common issue.
All those other things like squeaks, wind noise, rattles, tail lights, etc...haven't shown up in my 5/2009 build 135i.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-19-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max102654 View Post
The car has been in the shop for 2 days. They duplicated the long crank but as expected, do not want to replace the pump. They said they have to follow their process. The SA told me he wanted to help me but he had to follow the procedure. He said the last 135i that he serviced on long crank but didn't replace the pump got the SES light only 20 miles out the door.

BMW is so not cool. I have expressed to the dealer as well as BMW NA on the long crank and my upcoming trip. They still hassle me and do not want to replace a known faulty pump. They don't care if I would get stranded in nowhere land. I'm seriously considering trading this thing in for the new Lotus Evora. There is no way I'm going to come back as a recurring BMW customer.
I'm in the same situation with my pump, and got the same response.

I mean this sincerely, if this car really causes you stress and you don't like it, then by all means don't get another BMW.
I had issues with Chrysler and their poor treatment of customers, and I'll never buy another one, at least not until they improve their treatment of honoring their warranty.
People still buy Chrysler/Dodge products, but I don't go around saying they defend Chrysler.

BTW, is the Lotus considered a reliable car?
I just check the pricing. WOW. At $76k with sport pkg. that's well above the 135i vert.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-19-2010 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #42
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the same situation with my pump, and got the same response.

I mean this sincerely, if this car really causes you stress and you don't like it, then by all means don't get another BMW.
I had issues with Chrysler and their poor treatment of customers, and I'll never buy another one, at least not until they improve their treatment of honoring their warranty.
People still buy Chrysler/Dodge products, but I don't go around saying they defend Chrysler.

BTW, is the Lotus considered a reliable car?
I just check the pricing. WOW. At $76k with sport pkg. that's well above the 135i vert.
I've had the Lotus Elise for 5 years and with 20k miles, the only thing that I've ever done to the car is change oil and replace the battery. It is just the Elise is not practical to be an everyday driver. I was thinking of trading in the Eise for the Evora but with all these problems with the 135i, I might be better off just trading in the 135i instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #43
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't out to list common, less common, not so common issues that can come up with a BMW.

The comment I was addressing was regarding the level of BMW engineering.
If you guys feel it sucks, then that's how you feel. I'm not out to change that, I'm simply giving my opinion, which is obviously counter to some posters.

If someone doesn't like or want BMW's kind of engineering, then there are other options better suited to those who prefer greater reliability.
Would it be grand if BMW's engineering included building the product with much less problems? Sure it would. But, in the real world, this is what you get.

BMW isn't on any list of reliable cars, and they haven't been for a long while. Over the years they have had models with numerous known and common problem. I would think most enthusiast buyers of current BMW's would already know, knew, or should have known, that BMW isn't exactly known for it's excellent reliability.
Since you guys did buy a BMW, then you must like something about their level of engineering.

These issues are much more of a management screw up than engineering issues. We all know BMW has very capable engineers. So does GM. It's management that keeps them pointed in the right direction, and we've all seen what poor management can do to a company, even one with a lot of talent.

And you're wrong about BMW's not being considered reliable in the past. They've been above average for years, but I'm willing to bet that's changing fast.

2010 (See a trend here?)

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #44
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max102654 View Post

The SA called me today and he said he finally got them to replace my HPFP after jumping through numerous hoops. The car was in the shop for a total of 4 days and he had to run a lot of diagnostics and cold start in the morning to make it happen. He told me that he knew that is the right thing to do. I'm really thankful. They might also recognize that I am still under the protection of Lemon law and if they don't fix it right, I'll bring it back again and again so after three times, the car will be gone.

I just hope that BMW can wake up and take responsibility of their N54 engines and related problems. It might be forgivable that a 48k+ car has a design flaw that is difficult to fix. I am even willing to accept that design challenges sometimes come hand in hand with exceptionally high performance car. However, there is no excuse for BMW knowingly not replace a faulty fuel pump and instead, do a useless SW reprogram and try to send their customers home with the full understanding that the pump will be failing at any time, leaving their poor customers potentially stranded or in danger. I believe this will be the key argument in the Class Action lawsuit. Stupidity, incompetence and ignorance is one thing but if someone knowingly and intentionally put the other party at harm, in the eye of the court, this is considered malicious and ground for punitive damage.
Appreciate 0