BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #67
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 dadmobile

Why won't this thread die.

It's. A. Hyundai.

Come on.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

So? A badge doesn't make a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #69
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Yeah, yeah, I know. But COME ON it's a Hyundai for gods sake.
That's like comparing a timex to a Rolex. Sure the timex keeps on tickin but...it ain't no Rolex.

Don't mean to offend!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #70
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

If you said that about VW or Audi I would agree, but to me a car is a car. BMW doesn't have a monopoly on building good ones (Just ask Porsche, they build the cars BMW wishes it could)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #71
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
If you said that about VW or Audi I would agree, but to me a car is a car. BMW doesn't have a monopoly on building good ones (Just ask Porsche, they build the cars BMW wishes it could)
True that and by no means am I a bmw fanboy or anything like that (I don't even own one).
Just that there are certain makers that have built a rep thru solid vehicles over the years and then there are cheaper money grab type vehicles built to fit into a market by sub-par manufacturers. Don't get me wrong that Hyundai has come a long way in the last few years, but still bottom of the barrel, no?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #72
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-0 View Post
but still bottom of the barrel, no?
No. Go check out a new Equus, Genesis, and Sonata. They are impressive vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
True that and by no means am I a bmw fanboy or anything like that (I don't even own one).
Just that there are certain makers that have built a rep thru solid vehicles over the years and then there are cheaper money grab type vehicles built to fit into a market by sub-par manufacturers. Don't get me wrong that Hyundai has come a long way in the last few years, but still bottom of the barrel, no?
In the last year (<20,000 mi), my 128 has been at the dealership more than 7 times. And, it just hit 50k this month, and on my way home from my parent's house one of the tpms sensors shat the bed (I can only pray it's as simple as replacing one...i'll find out next week). A very good friend of mine's 3 series with less than 65,000 mi has left him stranded 4 times already. I just bought AAA for a 3-year old, 50,000 mile car so I'd have the free flatbed towing.

I hate to break it to you, but BMW's "solid" vehicles are only solid anymore because of how much mass they have. I doubt the majority of people on this forum bought their car because of their "solid" track records. It's how well they drive, the design, and the build quality. Having driven both, the Genesis coupe comes very, very close in all those categories (but doesn't beat the BMW in any), and I'd wager money on that car staying out of the shop more than my 128i.

BMWs are great cars to drive and own, you just have to be prepared to spend money on taking care of them. More money than you'd spend taking care of a Hyundai. Would I trade my 128 for the Genesis coupe I also test drove? No. But, ask me again in 2 years and I might have different thoughts on this, haha.

Man, imagine if we had 100,000 mile warranties on our BMWs....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #74
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Still couldn't pay me to get into a Hyundai. Just sayin
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #75
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Still couldn't pay me to get into a Hyundai. Just sayin
Obviously. You've clearly never driven a Genesis Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #76
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Nope! And don't plan to!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #77
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nope! And don't plan to!
Haha so you don't own a BMW, nor would you even drive a GC, and yet you thought your opinion on this thread would be valuable?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #78
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Sure did, chief
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #79
granracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata

Why? I get to drive a lot of different cars and will say many have surprised me. You can't understand a car until you've driven it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #80
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

You're all right. I apologize as I shouldn't have judged without having driven it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #81
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

But it's still a freakin Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #82
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You're so ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:
You're so ignorant.
Oh come on chill out
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #84
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know. But COME ON it's a Hyundai for gods sake.
That's like comparing a timex to a Rolex. Sure the timex keeps on tickin but...it ain't no Rolex.

Don't mean to offend!
When I first started working I used to buy relatively expensive watches. Seemed like the thing to do when all these managing directors or partners would rock a Rolex, Breitling etc, basically anything that was in your face.

10 years later I rock a Seiko and the other watches just sit in the box lol.

Quote:
Just curious what do you drive?

Honestly I wouldn't consider them any worse than the major Japanese makes. I'd probably pick up a Hyundai over a Honda/Nissan/Toyota just for the warranty.
      12-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #85
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

I just got rid of my 09 evo gsr and will be getting back in the game in the next few months if I can make up my mind.
Primarily american muscle background having built a 72 dart demon, 71 challenger, and currently building a 68 goat. Dad and uncle have built fast cars as long as I can remember (family auto shop).
Dads got a 2009 challenger srt 8 supercharged which I race (he's not as quick as he used to be).
I don't see what my personal history with cars has to do with me being a dick about Hyundai lol

Edit: I feel ya on the fancy watches sitting unused. I usually don't even wear a watch due to work concerns.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #86
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I just got rid of my 09 evo gsr and will be getting back in the game in the next few months if I can make up my mind.
Primarily american muscle background having built a 72 dart demon, 71 challenger, and currently building a 68 goat. Dad and uncle have built fast cars as long as I can remember (family auto shop).
Dads got a 2009 challenger srt 8 supercharged which I race (he's not as quick as he used to be).
I don't see what my personal history with cars has to do with me being a dick about Hyundai lol

Edit: I feel ya on the fancy watches sitting unused. I usually don't even wear a watch due to work concerns.
You said you don't own a BMW (you're on a BMW forum), you rip Hyundai and your profile says you drive a Dadmobile. Seems like asking what you drive is the natural question.

Re: someone calling you ignorant, you'll find the average member here is older and more mature / open-minded (despite being 1-series owners). There's no correlation to msrp and owner age, if anything the evidence suggests that 1-series owners are real enthusiasts who appreciate a driver's car.

With that said I'm not sure how old you are but Hyundai has come a LONG way since the early 90's. 35 years ago you'd be knocking Toyota in the same way and look where they are now. Hate to sound like an after school special but you really can't knock a car based on a badge. You mentioned you used to drive an Evo -- you know how many Mitsu dealers are within a 20 mile radius form me? As many as an Isuzu... Evo great car no doubt but based on the name alone, one might consider a more 'reputable' brand.

Edit: Happy New Years everyone, off the forums and ready to celebrate!

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-31-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #87
JTB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

The only Rolex I would wear would come from earning it in the 24 hours of Daytona... It has to have meaning otherwise it it just bling.

With that said, the Genesis is just not a good enough drive. If Hyundai builds something worth driving, I would consider it. For me it needs to be engaging, communicative and fun - and be well engineered. I could care less about the brand .
2009 135i - let the modding begin!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #88
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii
Quote:

You said you don't own a BMW (you're on a BMW forum), you rip Hyundai and your profile says you drive a Dadmobile. Seems like asking what you drive is the natural question.

You'll find the average member here is older and more mature (despite being 1-series owners). There's no correlation to car price and owner age, if anything the evidence suggests that 1-series owners are real enthusiasts. With that said I'm not sure how old you are but Hyundai has come a LONG way since the early 90's. 35 years ago you'd be knocking Toyota in the same way and look where they are now. Hate to sound like an after school special but you really can't knock a car based on a badge. You mentioned you used to drive an Evo -- you know how many Mitsu dealers are within a 20 mile radius form me? As many as an Isuzu... Evo great car no doubt but based on the name alone, one might consider a more 'reputable' brand.
Well said. I was just being a dick and apparently people are a little testy around here!
If I wanted the thread to die I should've just not said anything haha!
Appreciate 0