E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help - Should I?

11-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
GAMEgates
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SpaceGray e92 335

Arrow Help - Should I?

Gone...

Last edited by GAMEgates; 11-29-2005 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Deliberation - Completed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Mikey3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90..... soon....

Many factors to take into account.

Do you have a stable income, enough for you purchase the car and a house I presume?

Are you willing to pay the rediculously high insurance rates?
Service fees are a long term consideration.

Do you listen to your parents?

Well, its good to see that you are the one who will be paying for this car and not your parents, so that is good to hear. I recommend however, you invest that money into a house for yourself (if you dont have one).

I know many people who buy things on impulse. Buying a car especially takes a lot of consideration. I'm sure brand spanking new e90 would be nice. But thats nothing if you dont have a garage to put it in.

All i can say in the end is. Do some planning. Crunch some numbers and look at the long term image.

Personally im holding off my e90 purchase until i get my apartment (im still driving my e36)

Well, all the best to you. Good luck and i hope you seriously consider your future, especially at this point in your life.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
No offense, but I doubt you'd get approved for the loan.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Maybe if you can put down a big down payment, then it won't cost so much. That's what my parents did for my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
hodaddy
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

There are payment estimators on the bmwusa website. Build your car & check it out. I quit trading cars a while back because dealers usually dont give you shit for a trade, I've always gotten a lot more selling a car outright. I personally wouldn't want a car payment that I couldn't earn in a day's work or less. That way you have the rest of the month to pay for your housing & other expenses. Don't be a slave to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaddy
There are payment estimators on the bmwusa website. Build your car & check it out. I quit trading cars a while back because dealers usually dont give you shit for a trade, I've always gotten a lot more selling a car outright. I personally wouldn't want a car payment that I couldn't earn in a day's work or less. That way you have the rest of the month to pay for your housing & other expenses. Don't be a slave to the car.
Sound advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
GAMEgates
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SpaceGray e92 335

Thanks you guys, really appreciated the feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
E90330i
Rep
Drives: 06 Deep Green 325i
Location: Cincinnati when I'm home, Ohio University the rest of the time

I know you are talking of buying, but BMW has a really good lease deal going on for 24 monthes right now, check it out online @ BMW's website, the only thing is the down payment(4500$), but maybe try to see if your parents will pay the downpayment, if you pay the monthly payments.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Don't trade in your car. They were going to give me $20k for mine and I sold it for $23k, and I could have sold it for more.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i'm 23 now and have been saving since i was like 16 for a car. now i got a stable job, $40k a year so i can afford it. i'll have the whole car payed off in about a year.
As for you, it depends on a job, what you have now for expenses and also what you have coming up - School, an Apartement, moving somewhere else, etc. etc. I'd probalby save a bit more and wait till till you have enough $$ so you can afford what you really want. There are a lot of nice features, I-Drive, Sports pack, and Premium, and i waited a bit longer till i could afford those. The biggest mistake you can make is to rush into and not be happy in the end, especially after spending about $35G's for a car. Its going to hurt like a Bi*ch to wait but just do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Get into the habit of paying yourself first. You have time on your side and that's like money in the bank, if only you pay yourself first. Before you buy, talk to a banker and ask him to plug 500 dollars a month at 8% for 60 months into a program. Then ask him what it'll grow to by the time you turn 50. You'll be shocked to see what that small an investment will turn into. Do you want that car now, or do you want to retire and do anything you want later? Do you want the golden egg or would you prefer the goose that laid it. Time is on your side. Don't waste it! You can't ever get it back again.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEgates
My current situation, I live with my well established/selfish parents (Father has a 745li and Mother has a Z4 3.0) Starting JC in Jan. they're paying. My only expenses would be the payments which i already have $1200 saved for. Im dying to get out of my stock 03' Dakota(free) but at the same time im thinkin i should keep saving because those coupes and 328's are going to be FUEGO...
Here's the million dollar question........Do you have a job? You never mentioned that.

Plus, don't call your parents "selfish". They're still letting you live in their house and eat up their food aren't they? Just because mom and dad drive nice cars doesn't mean they should buy you one.
      11-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEgates
My current situation, I live with my well established/selfish parents (Father has a 745li and Mother has a Z4 3.0) Starting JC in Jan. they're paying. My only expenses would be the payments which i already have $1200 saved for. Im dying to get out of my stock 03' Dakota(free) but at the same time im thinkin i should keep saving because those coupes and 328's are going to be FUEGO...
lol, did you just call your parents selfish? OH NO YOU DIDN'T!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
Plus, don't call your parents "selfish". They're still letting you live in their house and eat up their food aren't they? Just because mom and dad drive nice cars doesn't mean they should buy you one.
Well stated!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #15
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

just bc ur parents have dough, doesn't mean u should go out and buy the best in the market. i am in the same situation as mds82. save the money and buy a used honda or toyota if u don't like ur 03 dakota. meanwhile pay yourself through college with some help from parents and feel the pain so u have a better understanding and appreciation of hard earned money. i hope ur helping ur parents with bills and expenses. i don't want to lecture u but i went through it and feels damn good with the end result after looking back with sacrifices i've done. even if ur parents offered to pay off for the entire car, i would turn it down for a reliable honda anyday at ur age.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
just bc ur parents have dough, doesn't mean u should go out and buy the best in the market. i am in the same situation as mds82. save the money and buy a used honda or toyota if u don't like ur 03 dakota. meanwhile pay yourself through college with some help from parents and feel the pain so u have a better understanding and appreciation of hard earned money. i hope ur helping ur parents with bills and expenses. i don't want to lecture u but i went through it and feels damn good with the end result after looking back with sacrifices i've done. even if ur parents offered to pay off for the entire car, i would turn it down for a reliable honda anyday at ur age.
If you were his age, would you REALLY?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:32 AM   #17
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

wow 1200 bucks,

that should make 2-3 payments for most of us here

you may just need to save a bit more
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:03 AM   #18
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
If you were his age, would you REALLY?
YAH. Really???
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:19 AM   #19
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaddy
Don't be a slave to the car.
I think I am a slave to the car.
I keep cleaning it, washing it, waxing it every week.
Gawd, I've never been so crazy about my beamer.
my car is GOD. k? :rocks:

it rained yesterday, and my car looks crappy with all the water marks all over the car. time to wash it again...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:29 AM   #20
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

No offense but it seems like you are the selfish one, GAMEgates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini
I think I am a slave to the car.
I keep cleaning it, washing it, waxing it every week.
Gawd, I've never been so crazy about my beamer.
my car is GOD. k? :rocks:

it rained yesterday, and my car looks crappy with all the water marks all over the car. time to wash it again...
I believe its spelled Bimmer but im not sure how they spell it in Korea
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 03:10 AM   #21
axie
Rep
Drives: 325 SE

Unbelievable

I think we should mail this thread to his 'selfish' parents and maybe they'll kick the little sh*thead out onto the streets, where he can discover what it means to actually work for a living.

a.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #22
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
No offense but it seems like you are the selfish one, GAMEgates.

I believe its spelled Bimmer but im not sure how they spell it in Korea
There's only one way to spell it and Bimmer is it. I've never heard Korean people call it a Bimmer anyway, just BMW.
Appreciate 0