BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
DSB128i
Rep
Drives: 2010 Deep Sea Blue 128i

I have non sport/power seats and the ride/seat is great. In the real world daily driving the car feels quick and when I toss it around it seems steady with no body roll. The sport seats seemed too large for me and the wife because we are short and they pushed up where our knees should bend. The sport seats do look better. Also the non sport seat is bolstered so I don't move around when turning.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
Tjai135i
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

lol how tall are most of you guys? I'm pretty short myself, thats another thing I love about the 135i, the size makes it so nimble and I dont feel like I'm going into tight spaces all the time like in a SUV.

I'm like 5ft 4
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
DSB128i
Rep
Drives: 2010 Deep Sea Blue 128i

I am about the same as you, the wife is 4' 10. We have a Vette too and the seats and room are perfect for us short people.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
GatorVert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i 'Vert, 6MT, DSBlue

Car and Driver recommends forgoing the sport package unless you live in a city with good streets. I live in Detroit, and I have seen people fishing in our potholes. I would not drive a BMW with a sport suspension here because I like my kidneys, and plan on keeping them.

On the other hand, the non-sport seats have all the holding power of a wet park bench. They are wretched on a scale never before seen in a BMW.

Your best bet if you live in a potholed area is to save the $ you would otherwise have spent on the sport package and get a decent pair of aftermarket seats, or even some replacement OEM sport seats.

The non-sport seats are just that bad.

Also they suck.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorVert View Post
Car and Driver recommends forgoing the sport package unless you live in a city with good streets. I live in Detroit, and I have seen people fishing in our potholes. I would not drive a BMW with a sport suspension here because I like my kidneys, and plan on keeping them.
The OP is referring to the 135i which has the same suspension for both ZSP and non SP versions. The primary difference is the seats.

And my ZSP equipped 128i now rides quite comfortably on our terrible DC area streets since I switched to Conti DWS tires. But as always, it is a choice between ride comfort and handling crispness.

Quote:
On the other hand, the non-sport seats have all the holding power of a wet park bench. They are wretched on a scale never before seen in a BMW.
Also they suck.
Nonsense.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

SPORT PACKAGE.. Hands down...

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Get the M-sport or sport... those seats, like everyone mentioned, are absolutely the best... I love the kidney huggers and the lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:

Your best bet if you live in a potholed area is to save the $ you would otherwise have spent on the sport package and get a decent pair of aftermarket seats, or even some replacement OEM sport seats.

The non-sport seats are just that bad.

Also they suck.
I happen to have non sport seats in my car because I did not want to order a car and wait, and ended up buying the only 6-mt car in the region at the time. Though I admit I like the sport seats better and I am currently considering upgrading just the seats, I can assure you that they are not as bad as you're making them sound. I don't find myself sliding around, and unless you're an anorexic 50 lb person, I don't think you'd be sliding around either. Yes the extra support would be great, but saying they are "that bad" or that "they suck" is simply subjective on your part.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #31
GatorVert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
...I can assure you that they are not as bad as you're making them sound. I don't find myself sliding around, and unless you're an anorexic 50 lb person, I don't think you'd be sliding around either. Yes the extra support would be great, but saying they are "that bad" or that "they suck" is simply subjective on your part.
I go 6 ft, 210 lbs. I slide like a third-grader in those seats.

Perhaps my 'wet park bench' analogy was improper...I'll admit.

It's more akin to sitting on a wooden church pew covered in bacon grease.

BTW, unless you have some sort of scientific seat measurometer, isn't it pretty much the whole point of asking questions on this board to get...a subjective answer?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #32
GatorVert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Also they suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Nonsense.
They blow?

Last edited by GatorVert; 09-29-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #33
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:

BTW, unless you have some sort of scientific seat measurometer, isn't it pretty much the whole point of asking questions on this board to get...a subjective answer?

How dare you give an opinion....

Warning!! Warning!! Free thinker alert!
      09-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Man I couldn't care less about your analogies/opinions since I get to experience the same seats first hand...and yes most forums are opinion based. I guess instead of addressing your opinion directly, I should have just stated my opinion about your opinion being misleading instead

Here's another opinion for you including some scientific concepts since you seem to be so fond of them: I think the reason you're sliding around so much could be a result of not enough force pegging you to the seat due to a weaker engine. So in my opinion, I think you should have purchased a 135 instead, in order to amplify the Newtonian law of "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" which would equate to you against the seat as well as the seat against you
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
GatorVert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
So in my opinion, I think you should have purchased a 135 instead, in order to amplify the Newtonian law of "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" which would equate to you against the seat as well as the seat against you
I've always preferred: "For every action, there is an equal an opposite...criticism."

I gotta say, though...that's about the only thing I don't like about the vehicle, but I really hate those seats. Okay, that and the Air Force Orange dash lighting...but I digress.

I digress, therefore I am.

Last edited by GatorVert; 09-29-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #36
DWRAT
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Kind of a waste of cash in my opnion on a 135i.
      09-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #37
jdcolombo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I've had 3-series cars with and without sport seats. Would never buy another without the sport seats. My upcoming 128 'vert has premium, sport and cold-weather packages (buying a slightly-used 2010).

As for the sport suspension - if it's too stiff for you, ditch the run-flats and buy real tires. The softer sidewall in non-RF's will compensate some for the tighter sport suspension. If you're worried about a flat, buy an M Mobility kit (basically a can of Fix-a-Flat and a 12v air compressor) and throw it in the trunk. It should tell you something about RFT's that BMW doesn't put them on the M3.

John C.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Take it from someone whose last two BMWs were base models and whose new one has the Sports Package.

Get the Sports Package.

Never get a base Bimmer.

Getting the base Bimmer is like dating a girl who doesn't like sex. You'll never be satisfied and will always want someone else's.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #39
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Don't get me wrong. I have Sport seats and woolen not trade them for anything offered as an option by BMW.
      09-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #40
ILoveToDrive
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011AW135iDCT

Quote:

Do you really? I always place my left foot on the support plate when I drive

fast so I don't really slide around my seat! They taught me that in the BMW

performance driver school and is really helpful!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #41
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveToDrive View Post
Do you really? I always place my left foot on the support plate when I drive

fast so I don't really slide around my seat! They taught me that in the BMW

performance driver school and is really helpful!
Based on his previous comments it appears to be that he barely struggled to graduate from high school, what makes you think he went to BMW Performance Driver School? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #42
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
The M-sport is totally worth it, as you get the anthracite headliner, the black lines and the seats! I'm 6'2" so I really appreciate the adjustable thigh supports. Not to mention the bolsters...
Appreciate 0