BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Few mod questions.

First off, let me start by saying I just bought my first BMW. Picked up a 2008 135i 6MT with 55k miles on it for 22k. Has Nav, Heated package, M Package, Comfort Access, etc. Sedona Red Metallic on black.

I'm a computer guy and I do tons of research before buying anything. (I did all my research for this car on this website, thanks guys!) With that being said, my first mod I'd like to do is JB4 with intake. From what I read this is the most bang for your buck performance wise. I also live in North Carolina, does anyone know of a good tuning shop around here that I can get it tuned at? I can do all the mechanical work myself for the most part.. but I'd rather let a pro tune it.

After that I plan on getting a quad exhaust and diffuser for the pure looks and sound. My question is, who has the best setup for this? Can someone be nice enough to supply me links?

I also want to get downpipes, but since I'm in NC should I go with High Flow cats or will Catless be fine once I get JB4 installed?

I'm also going to get rid of the stock run-flats, so what are those really nice rims that I see everyone using that are black with the red strip around them? I don't want to have to roll the fenders so I'll most likely stick to 18'' rims.

I'd also like to swap out my blue emblems with some red/black carbon fiber ones, but I can't seem to find a link for those either.. just overlay's.

After all that is done, are coilovers really worth it? I don't plan on tracking this car, just want to have a little fun driving around and going to work. What about charge-pipes? Oil catch cans? What sort of gauges should I get? I saw a P3cars vent one that looks really nice. I've also seen one that mounts in the center console in front of the shifter. Who makes that?

I'll update my post with pictures of the car as soon as I go pick it up today, it will be stock pictures, but hell.. I'm sure everyone is happy to see a nice BMW.

I'm as giddy as a little kid on xmas waiting to open his presents. :X

Last edited by xShadows; 11-03-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShadows View Post
First off, let me start by saying I just bought my first BMW. Picked up a 2008 135i 6MT with 55k miles on it for 22k. Has Nav, Heated package, M Package, Comfort Access, etc. Sedona Red Metallic on black.

I'm a computer guy and I do tons of research before buying anything. (I did all my research for this car on this website, thanks guys!) With that being said, my first mod I'd like to do is JB4 with intake. From what I read this is the most bang for your buck performance wise. I also live in North Carolina, does anyone know of a good tuning shop around here that I can get it tuned at? I can do all the mechanical work myself for the most part.. but I'd rather let a pro tune it.

After that I plan on getting a quad exhaust and diffuser for the pure looks and sound. My question is, who has the best setup for this? Can someone be nice enough to supply me links?

I also want to get downpipes, but since I'm in NC should I go with High Flow cats or will Catless be fine once I get JB4 installed?

I'm also going to get rid of the stock run-flats, so what are those really nice rims that I see everyone using that are black with the red strip around them? I don't want to have to roll the fenders so I'll most likely stick to 18'' rims.

I'd also like to swap out my blue emblems with some red/black carbon fiber ones, but I can't seem to find a link for those either.. just overlay's.

After all that is done, are coilovers really worth it? I don't plan on tracking this car, just want to have a little fun driving around and going to work. What about charge-pipes? Oil catch cans? What sort of gauges should I get? I saw a P3cars vent one that looks really nice. I've also seen one that mounts in the center console in front of the shifter. Who makes that?

I'll update my post with pictures of the car as soon as I go pick it up today, it will be stock pictures, but hell.. I'm sure everyone is happy to see a nice BMW.

Congrats on the new ONE. I also live in NC.

You will get a lot of opinions on a tune. I bought COBB almost 2 years ago and I love it. They are always offering udates to their off the shelf tune which are free. Very easy to use and change tunes.

Your next mod should be catless DP's and then remove the CDV.

If you plan on changing your tires then buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This is be best performance tire that I have ever owned. I have mine mounted on Apex Arc 8's. The Arc 8's give you the ability to put the widest tire setup on the 135i.

For exhaust, I went with Maddad midpipe and Maddad Whisper axelback.

This should get you started.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, you're in Harrisburg. I'm actually going to Charolette today to pick up the new car! I was really wanting to go with the Cobb tune, but the JB4 stage 3 has some really nice options and on the fly changing of maps. Plus it's cheaper.

Is your exhaust a quad setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'll answer the questions that I can answer...

Quote:
does anyone know of a good tuning shop around here that I can get it tuned at? I can do all the mechanical work myself for the most part.. but I'd rather let a pro tune it.
JB4 has several pre-tuned maps built in for cars that aren't heavily modded. You only need to get a custom tune if you have special requirements for some reason... for instance, if you've made heavy modifications to your engine or your turbos.

Quote:
I'm not sure how NC does their emissions testing, but unless you're really looking to scrape for every last HP, I think it's reasonable to go with a catted downpipe. The power loss is minimal compared to the massive amounts of power that you'll gain from the JB4.

Quote:
Breyton GTS-R. Very lightweight and a great ride (I have them too). They come in several color options.

Quote:
From a quick google search for "red carbon roundel", this is one of the first results that came up:
http://www.****************.com/prod...s#.UJUeeMXT35w
When you search, make sure that you include the word "roundel" in your search.

Quote:
After all that is done, are coilovers really worth it?
Yes. Definitely. Coilovers will make a much bigger difference than, say, intake or catless downpipes. Especially for everyday driving. If you've never put coilovers on a car before, you'll find that they completely change the handling and control characteristics of a car.

Or, if you want something a bit cheaper/tamer, just look at a set of shocks/springs... it won't be adjustable, but it'll give you great handling. I have the BMW Performance set, which is quite aggressive... similar to what comes standard on M cars. But if I were starting over, I'd probably get a Koni FSD set, which supposedly provides similar handling with better ride quality. Lamborghini uses them on the Gallardo, but you can buy a set for $700ish.

Quote:
What about charge-pipes?
Could be mildly useful... some people say that the factory diverter valve might not be strong enough to handle higher boost levels, but I haven't seen evidence of that in the 135i... it seems to be more true in other cars. I think it's only really necessary if you want to use a blow-off valve for the sound or if you want an extra bung in your charge pipe for methanol injection.

Quote:
Oil catch cans?
Reduces the buildup of residue in your intake valves. A good idea if you're running high boost.
On that note, you should also try to get a walnut blast... it's essentially a professional cleaning of your intake valves. At 55,000 miles, you probably have a decent amount of buildup in there. After the cleaning, the car will breathe much better. I'm not sure if there's a place in your area that does it... I was lucky enough to be 30 minutes away from VS Motorsports.

Quote:
What sort of gauges should I get? I saw a P3cars vent one that looks really nice. I've also seen one that mounts in the center console in front of the shifter. Who makes that?
Not sure if you know this, but JB4 has an option to turn your oil temp gauge into a boost gauge.

Quote:
I don't think it ever goes away...
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

I knew that JB4 did some cool things, but I was un-aware of the boost-gauge thing. I'll most likely use that until I can get this vent gauge. Here's a link since you haven't seen it. http://www.p3cars.com/catalog/135/

How much does a walnut blast cost normally?

And as for the car/price/options... I feel I got the best deal possible. Does anyone disagree? It's has only had 1 owner and the carfax was clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Nice to see another NCaroliner around, glad to have you!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Nice to see another NCaroliner around, glad to have you!
Thanks! I see you're from Fayettville, I actually work over on Fort Bragg.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nice, I just recently separated from the Army, work at the Dodge dealership (the only one in fayetteville lol). Feel free to stop by or PM me anytime if you have questions. Theres only 2 other tuned 135s that I know of in the area, and all three of us are BSM haha. Red is a nice addition. We do some meets occasionally, and theres a larger BMW/Euro club that is just getting off the ground, we meet every third friday of the month at the Wendy's on Skibo near the Home Depot.

As far as the tuning place goes:

Theres a place called Force Fed Performance (google them) that we all go to for our tuning needs. They're a vendor for Burger Motor Sports, and they charge the internet price but without shipping, so its actually cheaper than ordering online. Plus they know how to work on our cars, which in itself is rare and very convenient. Look em up, might be a good starting point for you, especially if you plan on modding extensively past the JB4. I'm having them install my downpipes once they come in. If you go, tell them Miguel sent you
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

I run catless in NC and have no problem passing emissions. Cobb will clear the SES light and allow you to pass. I also run the Burger DP fix but I heard that it is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Nice, I just recently separated from the Army, work at the Dodge dealership (the only one in fayetteville lol). Feel free to stop by or PM me anytime if you have questions. Theres only 2 other tuned 135s that I know of in the area, and all three of us are BSM haha. Red is a nice addition. We do some meets occasionally, and theres a larger BMW/Euro club that is just getting off the ground, we meet every third friday of the month at the Wendy's on Skibo near the Home Depot.

As far as the tuning place goes:

Theres a place called Force Fed Performance (google them) that we all go to for our tuning needs. They're a vendor for Burger Motor Sports, and they charge the internet price but without shipping, so its actually cheaper than ordering online. Plus they know how to work on our cars, which in itself is rare and very convenient. Look em up, might be a good starting point for you, especially if you plan on modding extensively past the JB4. I'm having them install my downpipes once they come in. If you go, tell them Miguel sent you
Fantastic, perhaps I'll swing over on my lunch break on Monday and we can talk shop for a few if you're down. I don't know anyone personally who is into tuning, so it would be nice to meet some new people. Plus, I've only been here for a year. I moved here from NY. >.<
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I run catless in NC and have no problem passing emissions. Cobb will clear the SES light and allow you to pass. I also run the Burger DP fix but I heard that it is not necessary.
Good to know! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Congrats on getting a ONE. Good to know that another Carolina guy is on the forum. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I knew that JB4 did some cool things, but I was un-aware of the boost-gauge thing. I'll most likely use that until I can get this vent gauge. Here's a link since you haven't seen it. http://www.p3cars.com/catalog/135/
Yeah, I'm familiar with it... I actually have the V1. But I barely ever look at it... if it hadn't been installed by the previous owner, I probably wouldn't have bought it... I'd just use the oil gauge boost gauge with my JB4.

Quote:
How much does a walnut blast cost normally?
I paid $400 at VS Motorsports in Chicago. If you don't have a local BMW tuning shop, you can go to the dealer, but I'm sure they probably charge more.

Quote:
And as for the car/price/options... I feel I got the best deal possible. Does anyone disagree? It's has only had 1 owner and the carfax was clean.
I don't see a price posted in your original post...
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fantastic, perhaps I'll swing over on my lunch break on Monday and we can talk shop for a few if you're down. I don't know anyone personally who is into tuning, so it would be nice to meet some new people. Plus, I've only been here for a year. I moved here from NY. >.<

Yea man I'll be here
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I don't see a price posted in your original post...
I paid 22k for it 55k miles, 6MT, 1 owner, clean carfax, M Package, Comfort Access, Nav, heated everything, whole nine yards.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I paid 22k for it 55k miles, 6MT, 1 owner, clean carfax, M Package, Comfort Access, Nav, heated everything, whole nine yards.
I think that is a great price, I paid 25 for an 08' 40k fully loaded as well, and certified pre-owned with warranty on everything for 2 years or 120k. And thank god it came with the warranty because 2 months later my water pump gave out, and I know the fuel pump is next... only a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianReyess View Post
I think that is a great price, I paid 25 for an 08' 40k fully loaded as well, and certified pre-owned with warranty on everything for 2 years or 120k. And thank god it came with the warranty because 2 months later my water pump gave out, and I know the fuel pump is next... only a matter of time.
oh and my thrid brake light fell off, and my passenger seat latch came off too, oh and my adaptive headlamp gave out... hmm thank go for warranty. saved me a bunch of times already and I've only had the car for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

And here she is, only took 6 hours to get there and back and about an hour for paper work. Nice to have it home.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Mr.E92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i E92

Garage List
2012 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Congrats on the car. Looks good. Sounds like you got a good deal too
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i vert

congrats on the One. I too got my first BMW back in February after owning Audi S4s for years and I'm loving it.
2012 convertible, Black with tan, M sports package, nav, upgraded audio.
I have the Dinan flash, probably would have went with the Cobb but wasnt available for the 2012. Got rid of those nasty run flats and got Continental Xtreme Contact DW and love them.

Also looking for suggestions on exhausts, cold aire intake and any other mods you might think are worth it. Will not be tracking the car just trying to have fun
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, sadly I only had the car for a total of 24 hours before a pilled out 17 year old kid crossed over my lane and I tboned him. He "didn't see me"..... :/

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

wow... :d

that escalated quickly
Appreciate 0