BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
johnyguy
Rep
Drives:

How is the 6 speed?

how do u guys like the 6 speed trans is it precise and smoot ,like to hear a few opinion!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

This will probably get moved from this forum. I have found that the shifter isn't that bad ... I am getting used to it from my previous cars and it may take a little while. I do think the shifting is fairly precise ever once in a while I do find myself searching though. As I get familular with the car though, I think that will change.

The throws could be a little shorter, but it really isn't that bad...

From all the cars I have owned with aftermarket shifters ... I liked my MGW shifter on my cobra the best .... this would rank right up there with my mazdaspeed 6 shifter I think ... Don't knock it .. as stock shifters go, the speed6s shifter was the shortest of them all .. lol

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Yeah - I think you're right - it otta move up a forum - into General Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Shifter is kind of blah. Not the worst thing that's ever happened, but far from the best shifter I've used. The 4th to 5th throws especially seem awkward. And you have to pretty deliberate on the 5th to 4thshift or else you might end up in 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Can we hear some more details. I have no idea and would love to hear more real reports. I'd get a A/T if I wanted something easy. But,,, I feel like I would be selling-out forever if I did that. However after shifting one of the sweetest 6spd trannys [Honda] on the market for the last 5 years, I hope I'm not disappointed. Adding a short-shift is fine, but other than that, I'll be very bummed if its not sweet in some regard. Are they known for being strong boxes? Or am I better off with A/T? Thanks in advance for any info.
      04-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I wrote a short review after I test drove..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6278

Not sure if this will provide you with the level of detail you are going for.. but overall I felt it was really good. I had no problem finding gears.. didn't even have to orient myself first.. just drove it, and found downshifts to be no problem.

Quote:
Shifter throws were short, precise, and not as notchy as I had expected based on previous reviews. Shifts required some heft, which was welcomed and increased the overall feel of the shifter. Throws are much shorter than E36 but not as short as a short-shift kit would be.. however I wouldn't see the point in doing this mod from using it today.
      04-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

big improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyguy View Post
how do u guys like the 6 speed trans is it precise and smoot ,like to hear a few opinion!

thanks

Coming from an E46 M3, the 135i gearbox shift action is way better. It has a similar throw to the M3 but shifting is far easier and driving in slow town traffic is now no problem at all. Also, the cold weather effected the M3 gearbox, making shifting even harder at low rpms. The 135i doesn't seem to share this problem.

Only minor point regards the 135i gearbox is that 1st-2nd gearchange can be a little slow due to that enjoying CDV - Still a big improvement over all though.

Mad Chemist.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

The 6-speed for the Honda s2000 is the most smooth, crisp and precise that I have ever driven. The 1-series can't get with the s2000 or even anything in the Acura line-up, but it's still better than 90% of the manual tranny's out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
The 6-speed for the Honda s2000 is the most smooth, crisp and precise that I have ever driven. The 1-series can't get with the s2000 or even anything in the Acura line-up, but it's still better than 90% of the manual tranny's out there.
The TSX has the best box. Thanks for the comment.

I guess that is where I will spend some time improving then.

=]