BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
//Mike135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340xi MPPSK

Garage List
N54 BMW PPK & SSK Review

About three weeks ago i had the BMW Performance Power kit stage 1 and the Performance Short Throw Installed on my car. I managed to get a really good deal just under $1100 all together parts and labor. Worth every penny. The short throw shifter is amazing, it got rid of any rubbery feel it used to have. That in conjunction with the power kit its like i have a whole new car again. Theres more power everywhere in the rev range. From a stop the car just lights up the rear and the engine pulls harder higher up 6k+ instead of just loosing steam. Exhaust is slightly louder esp at idle, and there is more of the burble as others have noted. Also with the kit they added a sticker under the hood to change the spark plugs every 45,000 miles. Like i said worth every penny, and if anyone is considering the SSK just do it you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2x14 View Post
About three weeks ago i had the BMW Performance Power kit stage 1 and the Performance Short Throw Installed on my car. I managed to get a really good deal just under $1100 all together parts and labor. Worth every penny. The short throw shifter is amazing, it got rid of any rubbery feel it used to have. That in conjunction with the power kit its like i have a whole new car again. Theres more power everywhere in the rev range. From a stop the car just lights up the rear and the engine pulls harder higher up 6k+ instead of just loosing steam. Exhaust is slightly louder esp at idle, and there is more of the burble as others have noted. Also with the kit they added a sticker under the hood to change the spark plugs every 45,000 miles. Like i said worth every penny, and if anyone is considering the SSK just do it you won't regret it.
Thanks for the write-up! Do you have any experience aside from stock and the PPK that you might be able to compare to - i.e. ever taken a ride in a JB4/etc. tuned car? Would you say it provides more power than BMW advertised based on your best butt-dyno?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Mark16q
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i convertible AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2x14 View Post
Great little write-up. Now if they'd just drop the price on the PPK back down...

But regarding the SSK, is that the one from BMW or aftermarket. Very interested.

Thanks,

mg
      01-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
//Mike135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340xi MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Thanks for the write-up! Do you have any experience aside from stock and the PPK that you might be able to compare to - i.e. ever taken a ride in a JB4/etc. tuned car? Would you say it provides more power than BMW advertised based on your best butt-dyno?
No i haven't but you definitely feel it. My service advisor told me that bmw did underrate the kit just as the underrated the n54 motor. Ive read on the forum that guys that have dyno'd 135 w/ PPK are putting down 310 at the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
Great little write-up. Now if they'd just drop the price on the PPK back down...

But regarding the SSK, is that the one from BMW or aftermarket. Very interested.

Thanks,

mg
It is the one from bmw. Flemington BMW has the best price for the shifter including install, its listed right in their accessories catalog. It includes the shift nob, boot, and all the internals.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

It is the one from bmw. Flemington BMW has the best price for the shifter including install, its listed right in their accessories catalog. It includes the shift nob, boot, and all the internals.[/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoy the SSk.The PPK is a great addition and makes the car much more enjojable. Is the shifter knob with the the kit weighted to help with the shift throws? I'm considering this kit,but like the look of my stock knob.
Dont know if I would get the full effects of the kit without installing all of the components. Have fun with your upgrades

Last edited by 1Fasst1; 01-16-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
Glad you enjoy the SSk.The PPK is a great addition and makes the car much more enjojable. Is the shifter knob with the the kit weighted to help with the shift throws? I'm considering this kit,but like the look of my stock knob.
Dont know if I would get the full effects of the kit without installing all of the components. Have fun with your upgrades
Sure you would - the "short shift" part is *not* the knob or boot, but the internals sold with the kit. Many people have done this and left the stock knob (I will be also). In fact, Dan @ United sells the kit SANS the knob and boot for a cheaper price (258). :-) Never heard any of them say anything other than "I love this mod".

Dan said he'll give me a free one if I can get you to purchase it. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Sure you would - the "short shift" part is *not* the knob or boot, but the internals sold with the kit. Many people have done this and left the stock knob (I will be also). In fact, Dan @ United sells the kit SANS the knob and boot for a cheaper price (258). :-) Never heard any of them say anything other than "I love this mod".

Dan said he'll give me a free one if I can get you to purchase it. ;-)
Thanks so much for the info. Back in my Acura days the weighted knob helped with the shift throw. How about you purchase the kit and I will take the free one . lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Back in my Acura days the weighted knob helped with the shift throw. How about you purchase the kit and I will take the free one . lol
I weighed my ssk knob vs stock, the difference was only about one ounce heavier.
      01-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
I weighed my ssk knob vs stock, the difference was only about one ounce heavier.
Thanks, you sure put that theory to rest. BTW: Xaeryan still waiting on my free shifter
Appreciate 0