BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Pricy Wheels?

Here's my debate. Is the 1er suited to have pricy wheels? Such as BBS LMs or other forged wheels like the RG-R or Superleggera III. I mean the car is under $40K, so why spend 10% of the car's cost to shave a few pounds of unsprung weight, and it is very few in some cases. Of course they'd look great and will enhance performance and appearance, but at a high cost ratio. The former BBS RK is one of my favorite BBS cast wheels and was very light (lighter than the LM if memory serves) for around 30% of the cost. Good looking wheel too. In reality a 1er is a poor man's exotic and uppercrust shoes just seem a bit out of place...potentially. Can't decide whether to just keep the OEM 264 wheels or go for the gusto on some pricey BBS RG-Rs, diamond black of course, or LMs with gold centers. If I could get a set of RKs (with proper fitment) I'd do that for sure and be quite content as the wheel seems at home on entry level Bimmers. Since I can't I assume, I'm left with little choice other than to go for the gusto at some point, and shell out $4,000+ for wheels and tires. That'll be hard to do and I'd better never scratch them as I'd need to sell them at the point the car is sold off.

Anyone else having this debate, or can you be satisfied with low end aftermarket wheels? I can't...
      03-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I am getting rims for my 1 series. I am waiting a couple of months because I believe there will be more variety. I will be putting on some pricey wheels, mainly because the only rims that i found that look good on the 1 series are all pretty pricy. Also, since this car is going to be a rare find around the U.S. I think putting pricy wheels on this car is justified.....it increases the "oooohhhh" factor :biggrin:
      03-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Yes, I'm in a similar quandry. Too bad the RKs are out of production in 18". An E36 M3 pased through my hands a few years ago with a set of BBS RK 18x8.5 et38, which I think would fit the 1-Series. Wish I'd kept the wheels when I sold the car.

But check this guy on bimmerforum.com selling forged BBS RS-GTs for $2K. Those are $3500 wheels and look to be in excellent condition. I almost went for them myself.
      03-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

people put expensive wheels on civics; you can do it with anything. i just want Gold 19" LM reps, staggered.

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
people put expensive wheels on civics; you can do it with anything. i just want Gold 19" LM reps, staggered.

-Chris
Another factor for me is that I'll do sways and coilovers before wheels, and I won't skimp so it's hard to justify $4000 for wheels after spending upwards of $3000 for sways/coilovers (both of which produce dramatic results compared to wheels which produce results but are not very apparent. Just changing tires will make enough of a significant difference in grip. What kills me is that BMW put a 7.5" wheel up front, adn I don't like staggered wheels. I'm much prefer both (F and R) to be 8" of 8.5" wheels.
      03-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

You can get quality wheels for 500-700 a piece. Don't need fancy three piece wheels that weigh almost as much as stock anyways :-p. I love the way LMs look, but for me they're too heavy, and too tough to keep clean.

I'll go with SSR Comps, Enkei F1s, or Volk RE30s. Nice, light weight, and easy to clean. What can I say, I'm lazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

^^ BBS RG-R (1 piece forged) are only a fraction more expensive than those you listed, far better in quality, and would be worth considerably more on the used market years down the road; therefore a far better buy as well. However cleaning them would be as fun as my BBS CH wheels, which isn't fun at all. If all I wanted was a good wheel at a good price I'd just buy a set of CH's, but I want something different to that which I currently have.
      03-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Now I'm curious about 17" fitments. Why? Lighter weight and lower wheel and tire cost. 17x8" RG-Rs are considerably less money than 18s and only weigh 17.2 pounds! Only question is whether they'll clear the brakes as the et is well within range. They also make a 17x9 which could be used in the rear. I checked a few hi-performance tires too to see their weight in 17" and they average around 23 pounds. That's a significant combined weight savings over OEM...as low as 40.2 pounds per corner!

I really don't understand the fascination with larger diameter wheels. Also makes the wheel far more susceptical to damage from normal use, greater potential of kerbing them, decreases ride quality, etc. Look at cars from just 10 years ago and you'll find we thought 17" wheels were big or at least adequate. I never looked at an E36 M3 and thought it had tiny wheels. F1 still uses 13" wheels!!!
      03-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
^^ BBS RG-R (1 piece forged) are only a fraction more expensive than those you listed, far better in quality, and would be worth considerably more on the used market years down the road; therefore a far better buy as well. However cleaning them would be as fun as my BBS CH wheels, which isn't fun at all. If all I wanted was a good wheel at a good price I'd just buy a set of CH's, but I want something different to that which I currently have.
RGRs are very nice wheels, I'm not sure if I could take those over Volk RE30s, though. The Volks are several pounds lighter, and are certainly just as strong, if not stronger.

Enkei and SSR might not be as big name as BBS, but I haven't had any problem with their wheels re quality, even on TERRIBLE New Jersey roads. Both the wheels I mentioned are very often used on the track also, and are considered by many track rats to be among the best.

As for price on the used market, I actually sold the Enkei wheels I had on my S2000 for more than what I paid for them. :iono:
Appreciate 0