BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Storing a 1erfor a few months

Will be interesting seeing how my car has put up with the mild weather of Germany summer while i have been gone. It hasnt been touched for 2 months. Probably wont get touched for another 2 months. My bets the tires might be a bit warped and battery is dead. That and most likely some rust on the rotors. I put some dessicant near them though. Wonder if that helps. ?
Crossing my fingers :P its ok.. Not too worried about suspension since i look at upgrading that soon to ACSchnitzer sport suspension package I think..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I always inflate the tires to max spec, or put said car on jack stands. You might want to fill the tank once you remove it, then just go drive that little sucker, and don't think twice.

No worries mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

That is a bit bad. A car can't really sit for 4 months and just be fine. You need to start them at least once a month inorder to aviod some nasty things from happening to the engine.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Fuel Stabilzer is also a good thing to add to the tank. It prevents the gasoline from becoming 'gummy' while sitting for long periods of time. Fuel Stabilizer is available at most auto accessory stores or even Wal Mart. If your gasoline does become gummy, it can clog injectors and fuel lines. Not to mention how 'fussy' our fuel pumps are.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
That is a bit bad. A car can't really sit for 4 months and just be fine. You need to start them at least once a month inorder to aviod some nasty things from happening to the engine.
Really...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Agree on the Sta-bil and a full take of gas. Also tires inflated, slow charger on battery with a bettery tender, and then make sure no mice or other creatures are around it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I left mine for 5 1/2 months here in Germany. Jan.-Jun. I came back and the rear brakes were seized. Rolled forward and they popped loose. They were quite a mess lol. It took a couple of 100-0 mph stops on the autobahn to get them back to normal. Other than that, everything was fine. Had the winter tires on it but only a liitle flat spot. Rounded out quickly. I had it started once every two weeks.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Experienced many "extra" cars sit through the winter even some at a the NJ shore with no major problems (911s, Z-cars, M3). Just some flat-spotted tires, dead battery and rough ride for bit. Just go easy on her, drive her gently and get some fresh fuel in ASAP. 4 months is nothing for a new car like this. I would do minimal winterizing of my Ducati (tender, stabile, lift) and she would run perfectly every spring.

don't stress it, nothing a quick oil change, and brake flush can't fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Remember, many brand new cars sit well for over a year and waiting for a new owner to take it home!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I left mine for 5 1/2 months here in Germany. Jan.-Jun. I came back and the rear brakes were seized. Rolled forward and they popped loose. They were quite a mess lol. It took a couple of 100-0 mph stops on the autobahn to get them back to normal. Other than that, everything was fine. Had the winter tires on it but only a liitle flat spot. Rounded out quickly. I had it started once every two weeks.
have the stock summer rims on it, hope those run flats dont mold to much.
Did you have any battery issues? Am betting I will have some fuel pump problems seeing as that i need my HPFP changed already anyways.

Few more weeks and will be back to driving my 1er. !
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

getting close to returning! cant wait!.

I plan on doing an Oil change as soon as i return.
Any ideas on what else i should do after letting my baby sit for 4+ months?

Not sure how the internals are on this thing. Never had a sports car, hope they arent too temperamental about sitting long times. Guess ill have to drive her softly when i get back for a couple hundo miles..

oh yea.. gotta check my brake pads. hope those arent seized up or break loose when i move it..
Damn i hate Germany weather.. Kills cars!! Miss the dry mild climate of Cali.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
I think an oil change will do just fine. I am so jealous of you reuniting with your 1er!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

check the air in your tires!
      08-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #14
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I think an oil change will do just fine. I am so jealous of you reuniting with your 1er!
I feel for ya man. How long will it be that you drive a rental and your 1er be on a boat?

Hahah. for some reason this reminds me of a story my grandpa told me of shipping his jeep he bought from the army back to the states from somewhere in Europe. Unfortunetly the boat transporting his jeep was sunk by a German U-boat.. haha thankfully we dont have any of those to worry about any more or a WW2. LOL. *knocks on wood*
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
I feel for ya man. How long will it be that you drive a rental and your 1er be on a boat?

Hahah. for some reason this reminds me of a story my grandpa told me of shipping his jeep he bought from the army back to the states from somewhere in Europe. Unfortunetly the boat transporting his jeep was sunk by a German U-boat.. haha thankfully we dont have any of those to worry about any more or a WW2. LOL. *knocks on wood*

I guess now you have to worry about pirates!
      08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
LOL, My gramps had a similar instance while sending my grandma some money. He said that the mailboat was sunk. Or at least that was his story lol. He was @ wiesbaden in '52. He gave me a cool USAFE crested zippo lighter from his unit at that time. It's awesome. Well I shipped it to L.A. so it would be there by 13 Oct. And hopefully it will be there a little earlier. If all goes well, I can fly into LAX, catch a taxi to the port and then take a nice drive down Pacific Coast Highway until I get to my sisters house in Laguna Niguel. So, I had a beater to drive but a co-worker blew it up while I was in Balad. I just said screw it and bought a bike (the pedal kind lol). I only live at the bottom of the farm road in spangtown so it's not that bad. I really hope no pirates get my baby!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well i got back today after almost 5 months being gone.

My car has not been touched at all that entire time.
Lemme tell ya it was nice taking the cover off my car to see how clean it was just like when i left it. Spotless!!

So a few things worried me about the car on my return and I have to say none of them showed up.
Brakes had minor rust (easily cleaned off after a few stops)
Tires where not warped at all
Battery was not dead at all
And last but not least MY CAR STARTED UP RIGHT AWAY!!

What a beaut !

Driving my car after this long made me fall in love again. Forgot how much of a beast this thing is!

Only downside is that i have a scraping on aft left wheel at some part of rotation.. Annoying and slightly embarasing.
I think its just the brake dust cover though from what ive read in other posts. Gotta get it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #18
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Welcome home bro. Me and another cat that just got back went and did a couple laps on the ring yesterday. Wish i knew that you were on that chalk too. Anyway, Time for the eyelids!! You got PM.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the welcome. Nice to be back.
Still have yet to do the Ring. Gotta get that sticker after a lap or 2. haha.
Appreciate 0