Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel being bent is BS?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
peterpeterhaha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SG 330i sport/navi

Wheel being bent is BS?

I hit a curb a while back and my steering wheel got a little turned to the side so I took it to the dealer. They told me I had to do an alignment so I did that but they also told me one of my wheel/tire had to be replaced. I was told that the wheel was bent and the tire had a bubble. Since I really had no choice, I told them to do it but I wanted the wheel/tire back.

It has been a few weeks since then but I finally got around to cleaning the wheel/tire but to my naked eye, they both seem perfectly fine. They guys at the dealership removed the bmw badge and valve stem and deflated the tire but it still looks like everything is fine.

Now I am wondering if they BS'ed me just to get me to pay more?

Should I take it to another dealer or shop to see if the wheel really was bent or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

A bent/mis-shaped wheel can appear to be straight to the naked eye. You have to get it on a balancer and run it to high speeds to see if it tracks straight or not. As for the tire, if it's deflated then the bubble is probably gone.

If you don't trust your dealership, a tire shop can mount the tire back on and check it on the balancing maching for 20 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Bimmer325iSE
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325iSE

Just out of interest....what speed were u doing when u hit the curb?

Deposit placed for E90 M3.
Appreciate 0