BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Adaptive Headlight/Right Headlamp Failure...need assistance

Well, long story short, I was on vacation and my adaptive headlights stopped working, then my right headlight that projects, not the corona rings stopped working as well. The right headlight would flicker off and on then finally, just stayed on. Well that was in the middle of July. When I got back, I made an appointment to get it fixed, and since I needed a loaner, I couldn't take it in until the middle of August. 1 month later after it went to crap. Well, I take it in and they get it back to me 3 days later still not fixed. They had to order some part from Germany and it would take a week. Well the part gets in, I schedule to take her in, and again since I need a loaner, the couldn't get me in until a few days ago. Well, I pick the car up yesterday during the day and come straight home. I take her out that night, and guess what, still not fixed. Some freaking problems, but the right headlight is out as well as the adaptive headlights not working...again. I'm so pissed right now. I've only had the car 3 1/2 months and the damn lights have been broke 2 of the months. I didn't pay this much money for this to happen. My question is what can I ask for from my dealer? This is a huge inconvenience for me. That and it should have been fixed already. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
Well, long story short, I was on vacation and my adaptive headlights stopped working, then my right headlight that projects, not the corona rings stopped working as well. The right headlight would flicker off and on then finally, just stayed on. Well that was in the middle of July. When I got back, I made an appointment to get it fixed, and since I needed a loaner, I couldn't take it in until the middle of August. 1 month later after it went to crap. Well, I take it in and they get it back to me 3 days later still not fixed. They had to order some part from Germany and it would take a week. Well the part gets in, I schedule to take her in, and again since I need a loaner, the couldn't get me in until a few days ago. Well, I pick the car up yesterday during the day and come straight home. I take her out that night, and guess what, still not fixed. Some freaking problems, but the right headlight is out as well as the adaptive headlights not working...again. I'm so pissed right now. I've only had the car 3 1/2 months and the damn lights have been broke 2 of the months. I didn't pay this much money for this to happen. My question is what can I ask for from my dealer? This is a huge inconvenience for me. That and it should have been fixed already. TIA.

This exact same thing happened to me - and I had it into the dealer twice. They replaced the entire housing on both sides - to no avail. After having my HID headlight go out for a third time......I took the headlight assembly cover off to take a look. What I found was that the plug from the wiring harness - into the back of the HID headlight itself - was not staying plugged in. It was a very loose connection and would be a matter of time before it fell out after some heavy bumps. When you have the adaptive headlights on - it accelerates this issue becasue as the headlights move from side to side....they pull on that plug.....pulling it out earlier than from just the bumps.

Tired of taking my car in time after time to have them scratch thier heads over this, I fixed it myself. I pulled the plug out and wrapped a very strong rubber band around each one....then around the back of the HID headlight after pluggin it back in. This casuses a constant pull into the socket so that this loose plug will never fall out again. I dont tell too many people that I have rubber bands holding the headlights of my $40+ BMW on.......but it has worked for over 2000 miles now with absolutely no problems.

In retrospect it made me chuckle that BMW couldnt figure this out and just went ahead and ordered brand new headlight housings from Germany to try to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
ive been to the dealership for the same problem. but my car sat in the dealership for 1 month and i didnt get any loaner until 2 weeks into my car sitting in the dealership, and it was a KIA. when they refuse to answer my calls, i ended up calling bmw canada in which they called the dealership and the dealership finnally called me to tell me my car will be ready in a few days. now i told them i wanted compensation and at first they told me that they couldnt do anything but they would look into the situation and back to me. i told them to keep the car, because i didnt pay high payments/interest to drive around in a KIA. 5 mins later they call back and say we either waive your payment or we give you a 1000dollars to be used at the dealership.
on my bill of service it says dealership credit to customer as a goodwill gesture. customers vehicle in shop for approx. 4 weeks. to be claimed as a goodwill claim.
now since i brought it out its been throwing the same error on and off.
but regarding my headlight that projects i havent had a problem at all yet.
i trying to see if i can return the car, because ive been driving bmw 3 series for the past 6 years, and never in my life have i had this much problems with a bmw.
the new look: Widebody 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7686798
Appreciate 0