BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #45
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I'm pretty sure Brembo GT is monoblock too.
Yep, they are.

Also,

Consumables for stoptech are much cheaper, IE rotors.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #46
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Brembo GT is monoblock too.
which is strange

from stoptech's page on brake tech, monoblock is only lighter.. and should be cheaper than 2 piece, as it's easier to make and has more flex

i personally don't plan on often changes... but if i could (a la 2 piece) i would lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #47
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Why not just build your own bbk's? All it takes is some adapters and a bit of math.

Anybody know the piston diameters on the rear 135i brakes?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #48
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I'm not so sure... I'd feel more comfortable paying for the R&D on a BBK. I'm sure they know better than me on the subject. That's just me though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #49
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G
Why not just build your own bbk's? All it takes is some adapters and a bit of math.

Anybody know the piston diameters on the rear 135i brakes?
Effort, wouldn't end up THAT much cheaper if you got good quality parts (new)

Plus huge effort

I don't like the thought of running unknown condition used parts for the most part, especially brake calipers, IF i also have to modify them to fit as well..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #50
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Where can you get power brake/ what sorta price? 350mm vs 355mm though, so slightly smaller!

Thoae willwoods are a great price! I can't see them for sale any more at uuc tho :/

Ed: vat is 20%, import duties are 20%.. Works out about the same lol

Performance frictions look great in every way.. But pad per piston sounds restrictive in choice and pricey to replace.. Plus initial price is very high... I'm not too sure they'd be awesome on a daily? (How fast they could wear?)

And formula 1 (and other series') teams run AP, willwood and brembo parts.. Other teams may run ksport if they want, it really (mostly) doesn't mean crap who races it.. often custom engineering for race teams..you never hear about replacing parts or long term (or even short term) wear especially on race cars for the most part..

And if you can guarantee the part will be the same as the race car (as in the performance fiction), on top of not really knowing how it will be long term on the street, the price strts VERY high.
Something to consider which most people don't think about it. How often do you plan on changing pads? Perf friction calipers are of a monoblock design which means you have to remove the caliper to change the pads, vs say like stop tech or brembo's which you can just pull some pins and then slide pads out. If you spend a lot of time swapping pads (like me for track events) the design of the brembos and stoptechs to swap pads w/o removing the calipers is a huge selling point for me, and several race teams.

Another thing to consider is longevity. As in how long are you going to be able to replacement pads/rotors? The bigger the company the more assured you are you'll be able to get parts for the car.
That is incorrect about performance friction. U just remove a pin and pull them out and put the new ones in
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
I'm not so sure... I'd feel more comfortable paying for the R&D on a BBK. I'm sure they know better than me on the subject. That's just me though.
Once a brake kit is made for ANY car there's 0 R&D after that for future applications. It's as simple as plugging in a couple #'s and putting the right sized pistons into a set of calipers you already have designed.

How much are off-brand bbk's in Australia? Also how much taxes do you typically end up paying when an item enter's australia?

Taiwanese brands can be had for $1000-1500 or $400-800 for caliper only upgrades. You'd actually be surprised that pretty much every brand outside of the big names uses Taiwanese parts as well. I'm not sure how much that price becomes inflated though once it arrives at your doorstep over there since I'm not familiar with the duties, typical shipping rates etc...

A lot of them offer pretty good pad selection as well, but others like Nashin are restricted.

Quote:
Effort, wouldn't end up THAT much cheaper if you got good quality parts (new)

Plus huge effort

I don't like the thought of running unknown condition used parts for the most part, especially brake calipers, IF i also have to modify them to fit as well..
Fair enough, it comes down to what an individual is comfortable with. If you don't mind going the DIY route you could easily put together a front+rear kit for $1000-1500 which will give you every ounce of performance benefits you require. If you don't feel comfortable then the obvious choice is to go with brembo/stoptech/alcon/ap. Brakes are definitely one place most people don't want to be messing around with haha.

Just out of curiosity what's the reasoning behind you guys wanting the bbk's is it because of the 135i caliper issues on the track or is it for the bling? I'll admit my purpose of a BBK was pretty much bling only as I've never reached the performance limits of my brakes on the 335i. For daily driving a bbk provides 0 benefits to braking so it was all bling factor pretty much.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #52
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Once a brake kit is made for ANY car there's 0 R&D after that for future applications. It's as simple as plugging in a couple #'s and putting the right sized pistons into a set of calipers you already have designed.

How much are off-brand bbk's in Australia? Also how much taxes do you typically end up paying when an item enter's australia?

Taiwanese brands can be had for $1000-1500 or $400-800 for caliper only upgrades. You'd actually be surprised that pretty much every brand outside of the big names uses Taiwanese parts as well. I'm not sure how much that price becomes inflated though once it arrives at your doorstep over there since I'm not familiar with the duties, typical shipping rates etc...

A lot of them offer pretty good pad selection as well, but others like Nashin are restricted.

Fair enough, it comes down to what an individual is comfortable with. If you don't mind going the DIY route you could easily put together a front+rear kit for $1000-1500 which will give you every ounce of performance benefits you require. If you don't feel comfortable then the obvious choice is to go with brembo/stoptech/alcon/ap. Brakes are definitely one place most people don't want to be messing around with haha.

Just out of curiosity what's the reasoning behind you guys wanting the bbk's is it because of the 135i caliper issues on the track or is it for the bling? I'll admit my purpose of a BBK was pretty much bling only as I've never reached the performance limits of my brakes on the 335i. For daily driving a bbk provides 0 benefits to braking so it was all bling factor pretty much.
for me: price

135i calipers (bmwp brakes really) as they are without any extras would set me back $2k odd front and rear

with some upgrades (pistons and rb brakes) it'd not be far off 3k

bling is a factor, and performance is definitely a future consideration also

my factory 130i brakes fade easily and don't have enough braking force even for my aggressive street moments.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #53
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

Personally for me, I just want to be sure that when I track the car, I don't want to think about my brakes giving out on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #54
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Forge BBK foe e9x could be an option: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713689

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #55
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Forge BBK foe e9x could be an option: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713689
Forge BBK reminds me of the f1 bbk:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ427180616

All of the BBK's outside of the big names seem to have many similarities.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #56
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

will you say 335i brakes are big brakes... I mean, I know they are single pot callipers but 348mm is rather big...

BTW, 335i front brakes is my next mod
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #57
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
will you say 335i brakes are big brakes... I mean, I know they are single pot callipers but 348mm is rather big...

BTW, 335i front brakes is my next mod
348mm is pretty big, bigger than past generation M's. Even with the single pot they provide more clamping force than a lot of 6 pot's including the 135i brembo calipers. The only thing is if someone wants a bit of bling the OE 335i brakes lack in that department.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #58
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
348mm is pretty big, bigger than past generation M's. Even with the single pot they provide more clamping force than a lot of 6 pot's including the 135i brembo calipers. The only thing is if someone wants a bit of bling the OE 335i brakes lack in that department.
This is very good to know

I am upgrading due to two things mainly... I want better brakes and my current ones are needing replacement.

I was able to find a cheap set of barely used 335i brakes, discs and pads almost new and this was cheaper than buying new pads and new rotors for my current setup.

Although I am not swaping for the looks I must say the 335i's look much better that the 130i's, though not as nice as the 135i's
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #59
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is very good to know

I am upgrading due to two things mainly... I want better brakes and my current ones are needing replacement.

I was able to find a cheap set of barely used 335i brakes, discs and pads almost new and this was cheaper than buying new pads and new rotors for my current setup.

Although I am not swaping for the looks I must say the 335i's look much better that the 130i's, though not as nice as the 135i's
do they fit on easily?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #60
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do they fit on easily?
We will find out shortly, I will install them as soon as I get brake fluid and have free weekend. I will post a thread with details. But, they should be plug and play, although I will code the car as with performance brakes. According to what I have read these are similar if not better to 135i brakes so I take the coding is just as required.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #61
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We will find out shortly, I will install them as soon as I get brake fluid and have free weekend. I will post a thread with details. But, they should be plug and play, although I will code the car as with performance brakes. According to what I have read these are similar if not better to 135i brakes so I take the coding is just as required.
yeah everythign i've found says they're better (due to the bigger rotor as well)

look forward to any report
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #62
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
do they fit on easily?
in the e87 section here there is a white hatch with 335i brakes painted black or orange.

So yes

EDIT: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716839

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-06-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #63
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Clamping power is about the total surface area of the piston(s) and the 335 brakes have a big piston. At the same time, I think rotor diameter and thickness are a bigger factor in brake performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #64
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Clamping power is about the total surface area of the piston(s) and the 335 brakes have a big piston. At the same time, I think rotor diameter and thickness are a bigger factor in brake performance.
Brake torque is fluid pressure x piston surface area x pad friction coefficient x rotor radius.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #65
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Brake torque is fluid pressure x piston surface area x pad friction coefficient x rotor radius.
Only two of those areas are in play, fluid pressure can't change and pad selection is an option for most bbk. + Having good brake torque is great, having it after multiple hard stops is better. Ultimately I think cooling is king. Larger two piece rotors produce less heat and dissipate it better.

Also, the longer the distance from the fulcrum, the less pressure needed to produce the same torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #66
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Only two of those areas are in play, fluid pressure can't change and pad selection is an option for most bbk. + Having good brake torque is great, having it after multiple hard stops is better. Ultimately I think cooling is king. Larger two piece rotors produce less heat and dissipate it better.

Also, the longer the distance from the fulcrum, the less pressure needed to produce the same torque.
Well, I agree with most of that with some small quibbles.

Resistance to fade depends mostly on the choice of pads. Better ducting can help some, and better rotor design can help a little.

Heavier rotors absorb more heat, and fancy rotor designs can dissipate heat faster, but bigger rotor diameter and width by themselves have no effect on heat.
Appreciate 0