BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2015, 04:16 AM   #23
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

I've been through the process and legally registered my M Coupe with all modifications.

You have to find an automotive engineer that is approved by RMS (there is a small list). Then you present your vehicle to them and they assess and will write up a report if they agree everything is acceptable. Along the way you may need to change a few things until the engineer is in agreement.

Armed with the engineer's report you then must get a Blue Slip from an authorised RMS workshop. You take the engineer's report and the Blue Slip place inspects your vehicle.

Armed with Blue Slip and Engineer's report you go to RMS and have your rego papers amended. There is a special code put on your rego including the engineer's report document number.

In the old days when you had an actual rego sticker there was a special code on there so Mr Highway Patrol could see you'd been through the process legally. You can keep a copy of the engineer's report in your vehicle (I always do).

None of this stops a highway patrol vehicle from pulling you over for an RBT or for some other reason they deem correct and issuing you with a defect notice.

The responsibility is then yours to pass a pit inspection. No car ever does.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #24
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I've been through the process and legally registered my M Coupe with all modifications.

You have to find an automotive engineer that is approved by RMS (there is a small list). Then you present your vehicle to them and they assess and will write up a report if they agree everything is acceptable. Along the way you may need to change a few things until the engineer is in agreement.

Armed with the engineer's report you then must get a Blue Slip from an authorised RMS workshop. You take the engineer's report and the Blue Slip place inspects your vehicle.

Armed with Blue Slip and Engineer's report you go to RMS and have your rego papers amended. There is a special code put on your rego including the engineer's report document number.

In the old days when you had an actual rego sticker there was a special code on there so Mr Highway Patrol could see you'd been through the process legally. You can keep a copy of the engineer's report in your vehicle (I always do).

None of this stops a highway patrol vehicle from pulling you over for an RBT or for some other reason they deem correct and issuing you with a defect notice.

The way you wrote it makes it seem like its the biggest hassle and even then it still means didly squat. Would you do it again if you were to modify another car?

btw thank you for sharing your info.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #25
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde

I have also been through this entire process when I converted my XU1 to a V8.. As Kenny said, it can be a PITA, but there is no other alternative..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #26
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
The way you wrote it makes it seem like its the biggest hassle and even then it still means didly squat. Would you do it again if you were to modify another car?

btw thank you for sharing your info.
That pretty much sums it up but there are no alternatives. I guess stealth modifications that either don't arouse police attention or confound their low intelligence visual review is the go.

The world has changed in the last ten years, it's quite challenging to modify a late model car now and avoid police hassles.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #27
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
The world has changed in the last ten years, it's quite challenging to modify a late model car now and avoid police hassles.
Uh, what? The last 10 years have seen a big switch to turbo cars and a HUGE growth in popularity of flash tunes. Your laws may be a bitch but we are actually living in the golden age of huge gains from simple mods on a stock car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 05:29 AM   #28
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Uh, what? The last 10 years have seen a big switch to turbo cars and a HUGE growth in popularity of flash tunes. Your laws may be a bitch but we are actually living in the golden age of huge gains from simple mods on a stock car.
Challenges from police harassment from car enthusiasts, not for getting value for money performance improvements!

Appreciate 0