BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
drogods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6AT M-Sport

Is this ticking sound a sign of a bad injector?

The title says it all pretty much. 74k miles, likely stock injectors. Ive had the car for the last 12k miles, didn't get much for service records other than hpfp, airbag, and electrical stuff (battery ground strap).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufS16Ao9lU
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

My N51 with only 40K and it makes a very similar noise, never noticed a difference in performance though. I got a letter from BMW saying my VANOS might need to be replaced but when I took my car to the dealer they said it was fine. I have heard of other owners being told these sounds are normal by different dealerships also so I don't know but the sound irritates me also.

The noise could be a number of things, VANOS, the lifters, engine cover not installed correctly and my favorite low octane gas. I smelled sulfur in my Shell premium gas recently. I also saw a comment on Youtube saying injector #6 will always make noise. The fueling system and the way the engine is made to work will always stress #6's firing pattern, making it the loudest. If that's the case I guess we have to live with the noise.

Off topic but these noises are nothing new to me, I had an old Jeep XJ with a 4.0 straight 6 with over 250K and it sounded like a diesel truck it clanked and knocked so bad but it ran really well! All I did was change the oil every 3k, used WIX filters and Valvoline MaxLife.
Appreciate 1
drogods13.50
      10-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
drogods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6AT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
My N51 with only 40K and it makes a very similar noise, never noticed a difference in performance though. I got a letter from BMW saying my VANOS might need to be replaced but when I took my car to the dealer they said it was fine. I have heard of other owners being told these sounds are normal by different dealerships also so I don't know but the sound irritates me also.

The noise could be a number of things, VANOS, the lifters, engine cover not installed correctly and my favorite low octane gas. I smelled sulfur in my Shell premium gas recently. I also saw a comment on Youtube saying injector #6 will always make noise. The fueling system and the way the engine is made to work will always stress #6's firing pattern, making it the loudest. If that's the case I guess we have to live with the noise.

Off topic but these noises are nothing new to me, I had an old Jeep XJ with a 4.0 straight 6 with over 250K and it sounded like a diesel truck it clanked and knocked so bad but it ran really well! All I did was change the oil every 3k, used WIX filters and Valvoline MaxLife.
Thanks for the input. I ran some Liquimoly injector cleaner, seems to be a bit less noticeable. Im inclined to think its injector 6 like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0