BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #111
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Beatr View Post
Mine does this too. I am not sure if this is mentioned but it ONLY happens when the car is OFF. Leave the car running and you will never duplicate the issue so to me it does seem to be some type of voltage related issue.
I *only* have this problem when the car is stopped, but it doesn't matter if the engine is running or off, it happens almost every time on the driver's side window only (and has for the last 5 years which was the last time I posted to this thread).

I've gotten in to the habit of raising the windows when parking but before I've come to a stop which for me has been a full proof solution.
Appreciate 1
atr_hugo325.00
      07-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #112
mrw84
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

So rather than starting a new thread, Ill post here for other opinions.

I was testing the functionality of rolling the windows up and down using the key in the door handle. On the up test I noticed the passenger rear window was stuck/would go up. LSS I bought and replaced the regulator -Great!

Now for some reason when I go to roll the window up using auto up, it will go up and then back down about halfway. If i go all the way down it wont come back up at all. If I inch it up all the way it will stay with no problems.

I have tried the anti-pinch reset every way I could find from the drivers control switch with no luck and since I was taking the car to the dealer for a brake fluid flush I asked them to see if they could get it. SA called and said they would try. Well he called and said that the tech was unable to get it as well, and that it would need to go for further diagnostic and they'd need it another day since they were really busy. Im leaving for a week tomorrow and taking the car so I told them to hold off for now and that Id bring it back.

So I guess my question is any ideas? Suggestions? Would attempting the reset from the affected door switch make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #113
carloverthepond
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I had the same issue with my drivers door window just followed the advice from another forum. Opening window fully and then within 10 seconds push open four times. Check to make sure auto close doesn't work. Then close fully and hold for two seconds. Here is the post.

Courtesy of a BMW tech on another forum, ...with thanks.

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #114
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

I had/have the same issue (window not rolling up with auto-up or inching up). The window would stop half way and then go back down on its own.

I almost went through a car wash with my driver’s side window down and no way to close it! It was like a bad action movie in slow motion. As my car rolled forwards in neutral, I started to panic and finally was able to close it at the last minute before the soap jets got me!

The only way I can close the window is by inching up past a halfway point and then pressing auto up. Even when inching up, the window can retract back down in the open position.

This was already fixed at BMW by way of a new motor and was resolved for about a month.

THE SAME PROBLEM IS BACK after having been fixed with a new motor!

Has anyone with this problem also had any coding work done to their car? I'm starting to think maybe my coding work may be the culprit. I added an option to allow the window to close when the door is open. The only thing is, my coding was still intact when this window problem was resolved a month ago with a new motor.

I'll have to take it back to BMW again (CPO) but I'd love to hear if anyone has any feedback that hasn't already been discussed.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #115
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
I had/have the same issue (window not rolling up with auto-up or inching up). The window would stop half way and then go back down on its own.

I almost went through a car wash with my driver’s side window down and no way to close it! It was like a bad action movie in slow motion. As my car rolled forwards in neutral, I started to panic and finally was able to close it at the last minute before the soap jets got me!

The only way I can close the window is by inching up past a halfway point and then pressing auto up. Even when inching up, the window can retract back down in the open position.

This was already fixed at BMW by way of a new motor and was resolved for about a month.

THE SAME PROBLEM IS BACK after having been fixed with a new motor!

Has anyone with this problem also had any coding work done to their car? I'm starting to think maybe my coding work may be the culprit. I added an option to allow the window to close when the door is open. The only thing is, my coding was still intact when this window problem was resolved a month ago with a new motor.

I'll have to take it back to BMW again (CPO) but I'd love to hear if anyone has any feedback that hasn't already been discussed.

Thank you!

Update: Pfaff (The best in the GTA) fixed the issue and this time it seems for good. They replaced the regulator this time. The action of the window seems much smoother and a lot quieter.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #116
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I seem to be having this issue also, happened after I coded my car. I'm going to do the steps that carloverthepond posted and see how that goes. If it happens again I'll recode the car back to factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #117
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Seems like erasing and re initializing has worked so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #118
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Wishful thinking, problem is back. I'm going to remove the coding to see if this helps.

Last edited by hatepotholez; 12-03-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #119
basicwizz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

This started happening to me a few weeks back, I thought it was a fluke and that I accidentally pressed down again when it was coming back up. Then it happened this morning a few times before finally going all the way up. It got down to 32F here and all the windows were covered in frost so I'm thinking it could also be something to do with the cold weather and the frost maybe. Passenger window was fine, it was the driver's side in my case.

Interestingly as soon as I started to pull out of my driveway after getting my window back up, I got an indicator light that my trunk was open! It wasn't, but I pressed the button to open it anyways and shut it to make sure. Maybe these cars don't like cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #120
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
I'm having this issue. Recently though I was accidentally hitting the passenger window down button but thought that'd be weird. This issue only really happens when I do all four windows roll up. (Unfortunately, no auto-up for four windows operation, only auto-down on my car?)

Anyway, I figured it was because the windows were slightly out of alignment and sometimes pinching each other. I'll reevaluate with this thread in mind and let you guys know if I find a fix. It doesn't happen with 100% odds either.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #121
135iEcuador
Registered
Ecuador
Rep
Drives: BMW135i 2013

Opening The Car Windows Don't Roll Down Halfwaw Anymore

Hi folks, kind regards from Ecuador, I´m new at this forum, have a 135i-N55, have a problem, the windows used to go down halfway when I opened the door pressing the unlock button twice which unlocks the passenger door and the boot as well, but after I tinted the windows this function disappeared and the windows only come down a CM and rise up again when I close the door. How I can fix it ? because I find useful this function to entry to the car in tight areas. Thanks in advance your support

Last edited by 135iEcuador; 07-25-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #122
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Driver side is doing it again since being fixed in November 2016.

Auto-up bounces back open at the half way point.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #123
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

I have this problem on my 640i (also frameless windows). The window will start going up, then hit the safety-stop (as if something was in the way) and wind down.

What I have noticed:

- Never happens when car is in motion (even crawling at 10km/h)
- If it does happen, sometimes pressing the switch down again (window will wind down a few extra mm) will result in a full close again - but sometimes not
- Pushing the window down into the door manually will always result in a full close again

I have tried to reinitialise the window (full down, 4 clicks down on the switch) but this has no result, the one-touch close still works after this.

Car recently got a new battery as I thought this may have something to do with it.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #124
jr135
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the same problem as described above in the posts: when passenger window closes, it bounces back about 3-4 inches open.

After reading posts, I deduct window is somewhat loose from its "base" inside door. This is the reason window does not goes down fully inside door when fully opened and hence it will not get to reach it's fully up position when fully raised. The computer rather senses that some object is obstructing its travel, so then it bounces back open.

Don't know if new motor provides new harness for holding window tight. Setting aagain limits will only temporarily fix the problem until window continues to get loose and problem reappears again.

There was a post above that recommended fully opening window and pushing down on the glass so it gets fully inside door and in original limits. This sounds logic. Unfortunately in my case, when fully opened, I could not get window move down even a millimeter.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #125
kevin135
Rep
Drives: black '12 135i dct

Same issue here. 2012 135i. It's happened for years. The dealer "fixed" it by realigning the window, but it was never really fixed. Up only brings it up 1/3 of the way and it bounces back down. Putting it up while moving works (maybe program is different when in motion, or maybe wind pressure helping?) and inching it up an inch at a time works.

I still have CPO warranty, but dealer is telling me I may have to pay for assessment if it's not a defective motor. I'm selling the car and wanted to get this resolved before listing it. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #126
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Wow 8 years and running for this thread. When I was younger I worked for an autoglass company and we would replace these windows on the 3s and 1ers. If the window regulator is improperly adjusted he window will stop out and roll back down half way. How to fix it is remove the panel (very easy 5 min job top, only 3 screws), then pull pack the foam backing at the bottom to access the regulator screws. Then either have a buddy hold the window fully closed or if singlehanded use window tape/painters tape to tape the window up then tighten the regulator in place and close the panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #127
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

My passenger window started acting weird one day and eventually got stuck in down! My regulator was bad and had to be replaced, it wasn't a cheap repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #128
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It seems the most common failure point is in the window motor itself. After having my window motor changed, my problem has been gone for good with no signs of acting up
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #129
Mavericks30
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I guess everyone may have a different issue and therefore the repair or fix may be different for everyone. I have a 2006 325i and I couldn't get the rear driver's side to roll up. It turned out to be the regulator. I have a Schwaben scanner so I was able to initialize it but the problem came back where if I rolled it down sometimes it wouldn't roll back up and then the same thing happened to me on the rear passengers side so I got to drive back home 20 miles in 32 degree weather with both rear windows down. I went on this thread and what worked for me was mentioned earlier by a poster pg3 bottom of page

"Now, all you need to do is...roll down your window with the one-touch function, and once the window stops, you will see that the window is not fully in the door (a small amount of window left, this happens only when you have the "window bounce back problem"). Now push the window in with your fingers and roll up your window back up with the one touch function...and wala...you just re-set the window minimum position and the problem went away."

This worked for me but my symptoms were a little different, windows were all the way down where I couldn't see them even if doors were open or shut. However, you could hear the motor trying to work when I opened the door. So what I did was run my finger from front to back all the way to give it more clearance and then they both came back up. The windows did not come up even with the car parked for a couple of hours until I manually did this. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #130
micky 1m
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Saphire black 1m coupe

E82 window problems after disconnecting negative on battery

ok had the same problem, window coming 1/3 back down.so you need to re anisilize window by doing as follows from fully closed you need to hold button down until window fully opens hold button down for 16 seconds then roll window back up all the way let go of button then hold button again in up position and let go, should be fixed, hopefully like mine ,good luck

Last edited by micky 1m; 01-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: left item out
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #131
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Experiencing this issue right now, very annoying. Did the reset and so far it's not working out. Might have to hit up the stealership.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #132
Buratino117
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i n51

What it did work for me in the past in a lot of cars was to spray some silicon spray onto the tracks, where the window is sliding up and down. My 128 did this window up n down but it stopped. I will spray the lubricant in there as in the past it cured slow moving or blockage in different cars. They can get dirty or old and create resistance when the window goes up and together withe the glass weight it may trigger the anti pinch. Lubricating the tracks may only help with no negative efects.
Appreciate 0