BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #45
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
I think you're way out of line on the $3-4K thinking for the brakes.

I've said this before, these brakes are not even close to what you get in an aftermarket Brembo brake kit. Look at the pictures on the BMW web site. These are just plain old one piece cast iron rotors, with a slightly larger caliper/pad set up.

I'd say this set up might be worth $500-$600 tops. Remember, BMW had to put brakes on the car anyway, & this set up is really not that much of an upgrade from the 128i brakes IMHO.
Point well taken, but I am going to wait for the mag tests to fully agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #46
APac_555
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bugeye WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Who in their right mind cross shops a 135 and an Sti/Evo?
Um...Me for sure. The new STI has a lot of features that make it very comparable to the 135. The new one is not as much of a boy-racer mobile as the previous Gens. Like many have said, it has been toned down for the more luxerious crowd (something that a lot of Suby enthusiats are angry about).

A fully loaded STi with Nav and 18x8.5 BBS rims will cost just below 42k msrp OTD. cited here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...-us-specs.html

A similarally optioned 135 (Nav, sports, CA) would cost ~42k msrp OTD. (info from this site)

In fact a lot of subaru people are comparing these two vehicles just cause of the price point similarities. I think they are going to be equally performing cars, especially when you factor in the aftermarket parts.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...ics-stats.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...s-pricing.html

Subaru positives: AWD, cheap maintance, huge aftermarket following for more power/handling, great gearbox/engine.

BMW positives: n54 engine, 6pot breaks, BMW craftsmanship.

This is all from a Subaru owner ready to jump ship....I have been patiently waiting the arrival of the EvoX, 08STI, 135i. With the exception of the EvoX (since there is no info on it yet), ive lost interest (finacially driven motive) in the 08sti and 135.

I may just get a used e46 m3......it seems people looking in the 35k (me) market are having to seek other car solutions (g37, acura tl-s, e46m3, used 07 sti)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #47
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i learned the hard way last time... in 2004 (november) i backed out of a ED 330ci for a brand new 2005 sti in the end i still had a subaru... not a bmw.... its like that one guy said "you can buytwo hondas for the price of that bmw" but in response the other guy said " ya but you will own two hondas" I know it sounds snide but after owning a 2005 sti and keeping it stock then all out modded to 350whp then to autox mode....it was just not a civilized. If you have seen new pics the interior lacks the class and the finish and the noise level is always ubsurb. There is no way to compare the new sti to the one...the one is a refined coupe, while the sti is a hot hatch aimed at killing the r32 market. the new evo is something to weary of...but the turbo mounted in the back will cause heat soak unlike the old 4g63, which also made it very easy to mod. that is my 2 cents i cant wait for my 128i i am so sick of turbos after having the sti
Appreciate 0